Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Your sarcasm is so alluring , really very fetching !

Actually I do blame the criminals. First. For starting the situation . Then second anyone who doesn't intervene. For allowing it to happen.

your attitude is the kind of attitude which allows dictators to take power.

"Only do something when it's in my interest or only when I ( or my loved ones) are in direct danger". I am sure that is how many Germans justified their apathy during the 1933 Putsch in Germany. "nothing to do with me Governor", "Blame Hitler and the SS, I am not advocating, committing any atrocities why should I have to do anything ? " This kind of attitude is almost as dangerous as the dictatorship itself. People could have stopped Hitler. They didn't because it would have been an inconvenience and might have been dangerous for them.

If you don't believe you have the power to save lives then I believe you are seriously deluded and trying to find excuses as to why apathy is the more reasonable of two choices.

Good for you being for UHC . Bravo. Another Rosette on its way."""

""" Here I was thinking that maybe your social responsibilities wouldn't extend to people who have nothing to do with you. After all why should anyone pay for someone else getting sick ? You didn't make them sick ! Blame cancer. Blame the victim for falling sick. Surely that would be a less stupid attitude. Why care for anyone but our loved ones ? What a waste of time.."""

ooooh, nice irrelevent rant....

Mocking me and other posters because we feel a sense of responsibility toward other human beings is really quite pathetic. Being saracastic about me living somewhere safe when I should be brave in dangerous spots is idiotic beyond belief.

Once again I do not court danger. In fact I try to avoid danger. When confronted with it however I can't simply walk away. It's not trying to be brave, it's behaving like a human being . With empathy, and a sense of responsibility towards others. Not such a difficult concept to grasp is it with your giant intellect ? """

"""I am not brave. Never have been and never will be. I am the anti-thesis of brave. I loathe pain. But I would get my head kicked in again if someone was about to be killed. Call it stupid all you like.

If that is stupid then so be it. Because to me getting hurt trying to do the right thing is darn sight more important than being safe doing the wrong thing.

I am so sorry my mental faculties are not on par with your shining intellect ( and moral backbone) , not all of us can have the immense cerebral potency you so definitely exhibit and with such finesse . """"

""A master/mistress of the discipline of rethoric I would say. A Philosopher of such distinction that even the brightest among them would quake in their sandals..."""

I will gladly join the rank of the morons as determined by your good self if the alternative is joining the ranks of the morally devoid . """

ya, I sacrifice babies on a stone alter at midnight, too ...

""We get it, you think we're stupid, doing stupid things and that there is nothing anyone can do to better our society. We look after our selves and our loved ones. Period.

My feelings are so hurt that someone of your scintillating character would believe our actions inane and futile. ""

I will now have to go and lie down , all this talking him has made my little grey cells weak with exhaustion. They're not used to all that exercise...

Apathy is deadly.
So is drama and hyperbole with no logic or reading comprehension present.... you must really need a long nap...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 10:54 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The theory that if you are complacent then you are complicit was the message of this extremely controversial but effective campaign in South Africa. Obviously not quite the same scenario as in the OP, but you get the idea.

YouTube - Charlize Theron controversial advert - www.cracker.co.za
In 1986 while hiking in the Oakland hills above Oakland California, I was accosted by three intoxicated men who threatened to kill me and then my "attack trained killer pit bull", their words, one man pulled a switch blade on as I was putting the keys in my truck door. I was able to get myself and my dog into my truck and get away and get to a ranger station in the park. I had the men arrested, but did not press charges against them. I had thought they were only drunk, but it turned out from the police report that they were also on speed. Over the next year one of the guys followed me to my job sites and harassed me verbally and with gestures, I became very paranoid and suspicious of any one I did not know and ended up losing half my garden clients from not showing up for work. I was at my wits ends and called the Oakland DA for advise and how to arrest this situation and they told me that I was a complacent victim and that it was my own fault, that unless the person harassing me were to physically attack, they would not do any thing to help me. I was flabbergasted and pissed off, I was determined to take my life back. I started walking my dog again, went back to the park I was accosted in and got a chance to confront the guy that was bothering me. Once he realized that I was no longer threatened, he quit his actions. I told myself that I would never be a victim again and I have not. I deal with things as I see them.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
I once stopped a criminal from trying to take an old man's wallet on a bus. The younger man was trying to actually grab the old man's pants while he was sitting down and take his money. All I did was raise my voice and tell him to leave the old man alone. The young guy looked at me with hostility, saw a 250-pound gym rat with a loud voice, and moved away quietly.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:06 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So is drama and hyperbole with no logic or reading comprehension present.... you must really need a long nap...

You are abolustley right darling, my reading comprehension levels are terribly low and my literacy skills have always been an issue.

The mastery of your discourse has set me on the right path though and I am now enlightened as to the errors of my ways... Thank you great lord of wisdom.

Drama and Hyperbole ? Is that what you call it ? Logic ? I haven't seen any so far in your posts... Apart from the logic that harm might result to you if you intervened in a crime - a Logic I actually fully share with you. Indisputable that one.

Regarding your attitude to crime and having no stake in it as a member of the community, the logic is somewhat lacking to say the least and not borne out by facts. We get the society we deserve.

Apathy is really not my thing but enjoy it. Along with the roasted baby's hearts ! Your conscience is your own. Nothing to do with me.

Run along to your loved ones and leave those of us intellectually challenged alone. One should not mock the afflicted or did you not get the memo ?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You are abolustley right darling, my reading comprehension levels are terribly low and my literacy skills have always been an issue.

The mastery of your discourse has set me on the right path though and I am now enlightened as to the errors of my ways... Thank you great lord of wisdom.

Drama and Hyperbole ? Is that what you call it ? Logic ? I haven't seen any so far in your posts... Apart from the logic that harm might result to you if you intervened in a crime - a Logic I actually fully share with you. Indisputable that one.

Regarding your attitude to crime and having no stake in it as a member of the community, """

See! Right here is where you post soemthing out of the DRAMA of the moment....something I never said but you FEEL I did
....no logic there.

"""the logic is somewhat lacking """to say the least and not borne out by facts. We get the society we deserve.

Apathy is really not my thing but enjoy it. Along with the roasted baby's hearts ! Your conscience is your own. Nothing to do with me.

Run along to your loved ones and leave those of us intellectually challenged alone. One should not mock the afflicted or did you not get the memo ?
"""the logic is somewhat lacking""

Yes, you proved you have none....we went from "I don't want to be killed needlessly" to ""I'm a demon who doesn't care about anything"" and somehow , with NO regard for logic or relevence crossed into UHC ....but don't expect me to bow before your sainthood...if you are saving the world you're doing a lousy job.....now , when's that well deserved nap....I can't nap , I have to go out and torture small animals....

Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I have intervened in the past, and I have a 6" scar on my belly to show for it. Was in a club, and seen a guy knock this woman out cold. As she was finally starting to get back up he proceeded to lunge back at her, so I stepped in between them. The blade of his knife sliced right into me. Even with what happened, I would do it again.

And I am a male.
Chicks dig battle scars, man if nothing else, it makes for an interesting story.

As for me, I would probably step in. I'm not the tallest guy but I'm a cannonball with legs- 5'8" and 200 lbs, not a whole lotta fat, used to play soccer and do Army ROTC. Would proceed to restrain the man without hurting him..too much. If they're messing with a female they're gonna get it rough.

OH-- Just wanted to add..

When seconds count, the police will be there in minutes.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I wasn't being nasty...just not agreeing with you....there IS a difference....and you and the mooseketeer should be in a place that needs your bravery.....

BTW, there is a proliferation of crime no matter what anyone, even the police, does.
If you don't feel it's the right thing for you to do, then so be it. Why are you criticizing those that feel differently?

Old 05-05-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
If you don't feel it's the right thing for you to do, then so be it. Why are you criticizing those that feel differently?
If they feel it's the right thing to do, so be it....why are "they" not only criticizing me but casting me as the devil incarnate, responsible for the worldwide increase in crime....singlehandedly!!!???( I feel the POWER!)

Excuse me, I have to go and start a drug cartel this afternoon....

Old 05-05-2010, 02:38 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I've tried to stop some crimes but it depends on the situation. I was taking my mother to the bank when it was being robbed and my only thought was to get her to safety. Had I been alone I probably would have tried to follow the robber and get their license number or description of their car. A guy beating up a woman is a tough call. Lots of times they'll both turn on you for getting involved. If she would ask for help or was obviously being hurt then yeah, I'd intervene. I've asked if a woman was okay when her boyfriend was screaming and threatening her and got told to %"@# off.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:48 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I have intervened in the past, and I have a 6" scar on my belly to show for it. Was in a club, and seen a guy knock this woman out cold. As she was finally starting to get back up he proceeded to lunge back at her, so I stepped in between them. The blade of his knife sliced right into me. Even with what happened, I would do it again.

And I am a male.

Oh dude, i remember you, you're the guy from Jersey Shore who tried to save Snookie!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies