Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:32 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I thoroughly disagree with everything you wrote. Pretty sad when earthquake victims in Haiti and Chile can get water and medicine from our country faster than the poor NO folks, you should be ashamed to support anything Michael Brown says.
You should be ashamed for falling for all the garbage that the media has fed you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Ahh the part people forget, the rapes I guess they were Browns fault. Some people are animals no matter how bad the circumstances,and I don't want to hear from a bleeding heart condoning the savage behavior perpetrated by some of the savages in the superdome.

Brown wasn't qualified for the job that was the fault of the moron who put him there. The way some people acted during and in the aftermath was their own fault. I really liked the idiots that carried t.v's under the water
BlackNews.com - Hurricane Katrina Rape and Murder Charges Were Exaggerated (http://www.blacknews.com/pr/rape101.html - broken link)
Just a hint:

[SIZE=5]Officials Say Reports of Rape and Murder at Katrina Evacuation Sites Were Exaggerated[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]By MICHELLE ROBERTS
Associated Press Writer
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]NEW ORLEANS (AP) _ On Sept. 1, with desperate Hurricane Katrina evacuees crammed into the convention center, Police Chief Eddie Compass reported: ``We have individuals who are getting raped; we have individuals who are getting beaten.'' [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Five days later, he told Oprah Winfrey that babies were being raped. On the same show, Mayor Ray Nagin warned: ``They have people standing out there, have been in that frickin' Superdome for five days watching dead bodies, watching hooligans killing people, raping people.'' [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The ugliest reports _ children with slit throats, women dragged off and raped, corpses piling up in the basement _ soon became a searing image of post-Katrina New Orleans
[SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2]The stories were told by residents trapped inside the Superdome and convention center and were repeated by public officials. Many news organizations, including The Associated Press, carried the witness accounts and official pronouncements, and in some cases later repeated the claims as fact, without attribution. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]But now, a month after the chaos subsided, police are re-examining the reports and finding that many of them have little or no basis in fact. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]They have no official reports of rape and no eyewitnesses to sexual assault. The state Department of Health and Hospitals counted 10 dead at the Superdome and four at the convention center. Only two of those are believed to have been murdered.[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
The governor and mayor most certainly did blow it. Big time. And I erred when I spoke of Brown's failures during Katrina. It should have been after.

My issue with FEMA is not political. It stems from what lessons I believe should have been learned after Hurricane Andrew. I see improvements but it is still not as good as it should be. Andrew was horrific for those involved and for the surrounding counties. The state was slow to respond as was FEMA. If it wasn't for all of us helping our neighbors in those first few days, the situation would have been worse. People randomly filling their cars with food and water driving to Homestead and dropping it off. Local church and charitible groups organizing food and clothing drives and driving it down there. One of the first trucks from the outside world came from Feed the Children. I will always remember that and I donate to them to this day.
Jeb lived there then too. Which is why he was always on top of everything after that when he was governor. He made sure things went the way they were suppose to regarding FEMA and the state.

Bush 1 did his best to start to improve FEMA and as I said I have seen some improvment. But Clinton and Bush could have done better with the people they chose to run it. Obama needs to be on top of this too. Way too much red tape involved.

So my issue with Brown after seeing him first hand in Florida and then Katrina is that perhaps he was not cut out for the job. I personally would like to see some kick-ass military person in there.

You're right. Everyone makes mistakes. Brown just picked a bad time to make his. And he really shouldn't be out there now being critical of anyone.
I would like to thank you for keeping this civil. People can agree to disagree.

There are way to many juviniles who post on here. Most of the stuff is garbage.

I do agree with most of you above post. But, I still think Brown was used as scapegoat.

I have detailed some of what I believe to be true. You say Brown made mistakes. Please provide some detals of where you think brown failed.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

I do agree with most of you above post. But, I still think Brown was used as scapegoat.

I have detailed some of what I believe to be true. You say Brown made mistakes. Please provide some detals of where you think brown failed.
Criticism of government response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I too appreciate the civility.

Interesting to go and look back. A lot of people blew it. And as I stated earlier, the governor and mayor deserve a lot of blame. I do believe they were blamed right along with Brown. I will let you read the above link. Much too much for me to quote. After reading it and getting past a lot of the political posturing that went on, I do still believe Brown dropped the ball. But I do agree now that he did become the main scapegoat. Another thought was perhaps he was not prepared or fully qualified for the job.

Didn't remember either that there was a Post Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act. That created a new FEMA. The result appears to make what FEMA does more explicit.

On a personal note, the current head of FEMA, William Craig Fugate, has a solid background in emergency management from his years of work in Florida. This would lead me to believe he knows what he is doing.

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Criticism of government response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I too appreciate the civility.

Interesting to go and look back. A lot of people blew it. And as I stated earlier, the governor and mayor deserve a lot of blame. I do believe they were blamed right along with Brown. I will let you read the above link. Much too much for me to quote. After reading it and getting past a lot of the political posturing that went on, I do still believe Brown dropped the ball. But I do agree now that he did become the main scapegoat. Another thought was perhaps he was not prepared or fully qualified for the job.

Didn't remember either that there was a Post Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act. That created a new FEMA. The result appears to make what FEMA does more explicit.

On a personal note, the current head of FEMA, William Craig Fugate, has a solid background in emergency management from his years of work in Florida. This would lead me to believe he knows what he is doing.

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
I agree with your first paragraph except where I highlighted.

I have done some more research and I agree Brown could have done a lot of things better.

People forget FEMA is only a mangement agency. They do very little themselves. What they do is help create emergency plans and arrange for OTHERS to respond like getting the Coast guard and the red cross on site as soon as possible.

I don't anything about the new FIMA head. or of any re-organization. I hope he does well.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:07 PM

49 posts, read 28,862 times
Quote:

I agree in double civility! Good posts...

Old 05-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphels View Post
I agree in double civility! Good posts...
Thank you.

I came here thinking this was good place to discuss issues. I was wrong. There are far too many posters who use this as a game. They think it is funny to call people names and be dis-respectful, A lot of them are college students.

I spend less and less time on here. Eventually, I'll be gone.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:21 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If there is but ONE man, just ONE, in all of this great land, who should keep his mouth shut and hide in shame, then Michael Brown it is that one man. Brown the Clown. Shut up Brown, you're a moron, a loser, a national disgrace.
You sure you aren't talking about Obama? Sounds just like him...

Old 05-07-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you.

I came here thinking this was good place to discuss issues. I was wrong. There are far too many posters who use this as a game. They think it is funny to call people names and be dis-respectful, A lot of them are college students.

I spend less and less time on here. Eventually, I'll be gone.
without a doubt. It seems to be a regurgitation machine... When you go, be good.....

Old 05-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
You sure you aren't talking about Obama? Sounds just like him...
ouch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies