Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 06:43 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
All those who are not christian should pack up and get out of America.
I know that was meant as a joke because no one in their right mind would really feel that way. But it was stupid to even say.

But seriously, as I take a look at all my friends, co-workers and family, I see people from all over the world who speak many different languages and practice many different religions, the main thing is THEY ARE ALL AMERICANS. This is what makes America great, and what will always make America great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 07:57 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If you have multitude examples of references to God/Creator from the founders, you do because it was something personal to them. It was the freedom to believe in any God/Creator, or not to believe.

Now, how would you like to explain not ONE reference to God in the constitution?
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

I don't know about you but, I think a "blessing" doesn't come from a rock.

I believe our forfathers believed in a God. They left Europe to get away from religous persecution. They relized the government should not dictate what religon one should participate in, they did believe in religon.

From Thanksgiving - Myths and Realities of Thanksgiving
The first actual mention of the word thanksgiving in early colonial history was not associated with the first feast described above. The first time this term was associated with a a feast or celebration was in 1623. That year the pilgrims were living through a terrible drought that continued from May through July. The pilgrims decided to spend an entire day in July fasting and praying for rain.

Every account about the Pilgrims refers somewhere about praying. If you don't believe in God, you don't pray

I also believe the religon of choice was some form of christianity. If not how do you explain all the churches built in the earliest of years. They didn't build synagoges or mosques.

"the first church in what is now the USA, depending on definition of 'faith' and the word 'church'

:-: 1493 :-:
When the navigator at last on 3 August, 1492, set sail in the Santa Maria, Perez blessed him and his fleet. Some writers assert that Perez accompanied his illustrious friend on the first voyage, but the silence of Columbus on this point renders the claim improbable. It appears certain, however, that Perez joined his friend on the second voyage in 1493. The earliest and best writers also agree: that when the second expedition reached Haiti, Father Perez celebrated the first Mass in the New World at Point Conception on 8 Dec., 1493, in a temporary {structure;} that this was the first church in {America;} and that Father Perez preserved the Blessed Sacrament there. He also became the guardian of the first convent which Columbus ordered to be erected at Santo Domingo."
www.newadvent.org/cathen/11664d.htm

From: First Baptist Church in America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roger Williams had been holding religious services in his home for nearly a year before he converted his congregation into a Baptist church in 1638. This followed his founding of Providence in 1636. For the next sixty years, the congregation met outside in nice weather or in congregants' homes. Baptists in Rhode Island through most of the 17th century declined to erect meetinghouses because they felt that buildings reflected vanity. Eventually, however, they came to see the utility of some gathering place, and they erected severely plain-style meetinghouses like the Quakers.

From the Library of Congress Religion and the Founding of the American Republic (Library of Congress Exhibition)
[SIZE=5]"T[/SIZE]his exhibition demonstrates that many of the colonies that in 1776 became the United States of America were settled by men and women of deep religious convictions who in the seventeenth century crossed the Atlantic Ocean to practice their faith freely

So, in answer to the original question, "Was America a Chritian Nation? The evidence is overwhelming."

Old 05-06-2010, 08:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

I believe our forfathers believed in a God. They left Europe to get away from religous persecution. They relized the government should not dictate what religon one should participate in, they did believe in religon.

The first actual mention of the word thanksgiving in early colonial history was not associated with the first feast described above. The first time this term was associated with a a feast or celebration was in 1623. That year the pilgrims were living through a terrible drought that continued from May through July. The pilgrims decided to spend an entire day in July fasting and praying for rain.

Every account about the Pilgrims refers somewhere about praying. If you don't believe in God, you don't pray

I also believe the religon of choice was some form of christianity. If not how do you explain all the churches built in the earliest of years. They didn't build synagoges or mosques.

"the first church in what is now the USA, depending on definition of 'faith' and the word 'church'

When the navigator at last on 3 August, 1492, set sail in the Santa Maria, Perez blessed him and his fleet. Some writers assert that Perez accompanied his illustrious friend on the first voyage, but the silence of Columbus on this point renders the claim improbable. It appears certain, however, that Perez joined his friend on the second voyage in 1493. The earliest and best writers also agree: that when the second expedition reached Haiti, Father Perez celebrated the first Mass in the New World at Point Conception on 8 Dec., 1493, in a temporary {structure;} that this was the first church in {America;} and that Father Perez preserved the Blessed Sacrament there. He also became the guardian of the first convent which Columbus ordered to be erected at Santo Domingo."

Roger Williams had been holding religious services in his home for nearly a year before he converted his congregation into a Baptist church in 1638. This followed his founding of Providence in 1636. For the next sixty years, the congregation met outside in nice weather or in congregants' homes. Baptists in Rhode Island through most of the 17th century declined to erect meetinghouses because they felt that buildings reflected vanity. Eventually, however, they came to see the utility of some gathering place, and they erected severely plain-style meetinghouses like the Quakers.

From the Library of Congress Religion and the Founding of the American Republic (Library of Congress Exhibition)
[SIZE=5]"T[/SIZE]his exhibition demonstrates that many of the colonies that in 1776 became the United States of America were settled by men and women of deep religious convictions who in the seventeenth century crossed the Atlantic Ocean to practice their faith freely

So, in answer to the original question, "Was America a Chritian Nation? The evidence is overwhelming."
And this unnecessary babbling is a response to this question I asked:
"Now, how would you like to explain not ONE reference to God in the constitution?"

Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

What an odd view on American history.

No one can dispute the religious fervor of the Puritans. Roger Williams was banished from Mass for being different from the Puritan powers. He was the first person to advocate the separation of church and state. I lived in RI and went to college there for 6 years, so yeah, it was drilled into us, all things Roger Williams.

Why does blessing have to have a Christian or even religions connotation? It's not a necessary conclusion.

What did Columbus have to do with the DIRECT founding of this country? Not much. Go read the Treaty of Burgos, to get your info on what the official Spanish response was the the New World.

The Declaration of Independence is in no was no how LAW. It was written as a way to appeal to the Christian King of England--they use the words "to a candid world." The drafters wanted to portray a feeling to their European cousins. They needed to invoke sympathy.

The founders knew very well our early colonial history, and they knew it wasn't very good.

Again, we're dealing with the Age of Enlightenment, not the Dark Ages. Our founders looked at other Republics of the time, chiefly the Dutch Republic, which even 300 years ago, was very tolerant and liberal.

Last edited by lmkcin; 05-06-2010 at 10:04 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 10:01 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
So what are the opinions on this?
To me it is very sad.
I grew up listening to Billy Graham and feel his son should be there.
I feel like we really aren't a Christian nation anymore.

Graham v. Obama: Preacher's Kid Knocks President Over Islam Stance
When were we a Christian nation?

Do you mean, you miss the days when you felt more secure than you do now?

If you could define what you mean by "Christian nation" it would help.
At the "On Faith" blog, David Waters also pointed out that neither Billy Graham nor George W. Bush would have endorsed Franklin Graham's disparagements of Islam. In fact, the former president frequently praised Islam.

"Some of the comments that have been uttered about Islam do not reflect the sentiments of my government or the sentiments of most Americans," Bush said in 2002. "Islam, as practiced by the vast majority of people, is a peaceful religion, a religion that respects others. Ours is a country based upon tolerance and we welcome people of all faiths in America."

Old 05-06-2010, 10:04 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Personal beliefs and a nationalized belief were never meant to be.
But both exist, whether they are meant to be or not.

Hence my post.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
neither Billy Graham nor George W. Bush would have endorsed Franklin Graham's disparagements of Islam. In fact, the former president frequently praised Islam.

"Some of the comments that have been uttered about Islam do not reflect the sentiments of my government or the sentiments of most Americans," Bush said in 2002. "Islam, as practiced by the vast majority of people, is a peaceful religion, a religion that respects others. Ours is a country based upon tolerance and we welcome people of all faiths in America."
[/indent]
And here we were all led to believe that you thought Dubya was as dumb as dirt. Now here you are quoting him approvingly.

Guess you've come to your senses!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
And here we were all led to believe that you thought Dubya was as dumb as dirt. Now here you are quoting him approvingly.

Guess you've come to your senses!
How do you reckon? I'm showing the OP that someone she probably respects was told to say positive things about Islam back in 2002, to quell those embarrassing lynch mobs.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
But both exist, whether they are meant to be or not.
Hence my post.
Personal beliefs are good. A nationalized belief... far from it. Fortunately, the latter doesn't exist.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How do you reckon? I'm showing the OP that someone she probably respects was told to say positive things about Islam back in 2002, to quell those embarrassing lynch mobs.
Now, now. 'Fess up. You've been caught praising Dubya's perspicacity. And hey. That's okay.

Besides, I don't remember any lynch mobs, though there are plenty right now, headed for Arizona. Carried on palanquins by sweating braceros.

How dare those anglos call for border enforcement! Racists all! Let's string 'em up and get back to Westchester in time for a martini.

Jose, make that a double!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies