Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is America getting better or worse?
It is getting BETTER. 3 7.89%
It is getting WORSE. 32 84.21%
It is about the same. 1 2.63%
No clue as I went to liberal-taught public schools and the gov't thinks for me. 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times

Advertisements

I want you to look at the following cartoons.

http://www.parleyhellewell.com/asay/welfare_sm.gif (broken link)

and

http://www.parleyhellewell.com/asay/education_sm.gif (broken link)

and

http://www.parleyhellewell.com/asay/supreme_court_sm.gif (broken link)

and

http://www.parleyhellewell.com/asay/bears_sm.gif (broken link)

Your opinion: Is America doing better today than it did back in the 1940s and 1950s.

Have we created dumb kids in liberal taught and controlled public schools?

Has the Supreme Court decisions in the 1960s and 1970s (liberal-controlled times) messed up our Country?

Is America creating a lazy society where people refuse to work and love entitlements? Is that society going to contribute to a better future?

Why is America doing better/worse? WHY??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 05:34 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
You forgot one option in your poll:

"No clue as I let some ridiculous cartoonist think for me"

Old 06-13-2007, 05:44 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
Far worse. Too much government, too many taxes, too many whiners who expect hand-outs, too many liberal parents who want to be friends first parents second, too many politicians who want votes via handouts, too many illegals.

The only thing I can do is teach my kids values and how to work hard. I just wonder if the government will have so much control over their lives though for them not to make a difference.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:15 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Far worse. Too much government, too many taxes, too many whiners who expect hand-outs, too many liberal parents who want to be friends first parents second, too many politicians who want votes via handouts, too many illegals.

The only thing I can do is teach my kids values and how to work hard. I just wonder if the government will have so much control over their lives though for them not to make a difference.
well said!

Old 06-13-2007, 06:25 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
It's sadly get worse. A larger and larger percentage of the population wants the government to take care of them, and they actually think it is their right. . . The attitude that made the U.S a great country is quickly being replaced. . .

Old 06-13-2007, 06:25 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
I want you to look at the following cartoons.

http://www.parleyhellewell.com/asay/welfare_sm.gif (broken link)

and

http://www.parleyhellewell.com/asay/education_sm.gif (broken link)

and

http://www.parleyhellewell.com/asay/supreme_court_sm.gif (broken link)

and

http://www.parleyhellewell.com/asay/bears_sm.gif (broken link)

Your opinion: Is America doing better today than it did back in the 1940s and 1950s.

Have we created dumb kids in liberal taught and controlled public schools?

Has the Supreme Court decisions in the 1960s and 1970s (liberal-controlled times) messed up our Country?

Is America creating a lazy society where people refuse to work and love entitlements? Is that society going to contribute to a better future?

Why is America doing better/worse? WHY??

Who did those cartoons?

Old 06-13-2007, 06:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I wonder just how many of you conservatives have ever had an economic failure (gone broke) caused by your employer moving his work to China, you local banker stealing all the funds, a stock market “revaluation” or somebody you have to take care of racking up a couple of hundred grand in medical bills?

Until you have and have actually tried to get the "free handouts" you do not know what you are talking about. Among other things welfare recipients cannot have any other source of income or any savings and still get help. If you leave everybody to fend for themselves because it is good for them, are you willing to let the people who cannot just starve like bear cubs after a fire has destroyed all the rodents they need to eat?

If you are willing to let people loose all they have worked for due to misfortune or inability then you will be welcome in the Cheap and Mean Club.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
GregW, I think welfare is a much needed program for those that have dire needs caused by illness or no jobs BUT having lived in California I cannot tell you how many times I would go to the grocery and see people dripping in gold jewelry buying junk foods with food stamps only to drive off in a very expensive new car, talking on their cell phones.

...or being on welfare and continuing to have baby after baby.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:53 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
GregW, I think welfare is a much needed program for those that have dire needs caused by illness or no jobs BUT having lived in California I cannot tell you how many times I would go to the grocery and see people dripping in gold jewelry buying junk foods with food stamps only to drive off in a very expensive new car, talking on their cell phones.

...or being on welfare and continuing to have baby after baby.
OR renting out half their house that Hud pays for to someone else and pocketing cash, no lie happens alot. Or getting a job that doesnt pay in checks-strictly cash, dont get me wrong it you need it use it, but Im speaking of those that abuse it. Like the man in the next town here, that gained lots of weight on purpose in order to draw disability...I know its true, he told me and lots of others.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:54 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder just how many of you conservatives have ever had an economic failure (gone broke) caused by your employer moving his work to China, you local banker stealing all the funds, a stock market “revaluation” or somebody you have to take care of racking up a couple of hundred grand in medical bills?

Until you have and have actually tried to get the "free handouts" you do not know what you are talking about. Among other things welfare recipients cannot have any other source of income or any savings and still get help. If you leave everybody to fend for themselves because it is good for them, are you willing to let the people who cannot just starve like bear cubs after a fire has destroyed all the rodents they need to eat?

If you are willing to let people loose all they have worked for due to misfortune or inability then you will be welcome in the Cheap and Mean Club.

This is typical of "us vs them" you conservatives, you meanies!

And to answer your question. . . yes, I have actually lost a job due to my company moving jobs overseas (a very well-paying job) And do you know what? And I hate to use the cliche but I picked myself up by the proverbial bootstraps, went back to school and started a new career. And BTW I did not have insurance for several years during that period and I payed out of pocket for any and all medical care.

And incidentally there is nothing mean about believing the goverment job isn't providing a welfare state.

And I am still paying off the loans I had to take out for the schooling. I didn't qualify for a penny of aide. But it was worth every penny. And I had to sell my home and buy a smaller one in a less convenient location all to make it work.

Last edited by spunky1; 06-13-2007 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies