Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:00 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

"real america"...lol. Meaningless phrase if there ever was one.

PS. I love California

Old 05-06-2010, 12:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
After having lived in many other states and parts of the country, it feels good to be back in Iowa. I have been here since January and the more I travel, the more I realize that states like Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas are what is left of the "real America". People in this part of the country are hard working, humble, proud, friendly and patriotic.

Crime in this part of the country is very low, IA, NE and KS have some of the lowest unemployment rates in the country, we still speak English here and always will by the grace of God. Cost of living is low and owning a home and living the American dream here is still very affordable.

You can have your NJ, crowded, dirty neighborhoods, where a studio apt goes for 500K and you pay 10K/year in property taxes or your bankrupt CA with minority gangs, grafitti and where Spanish is the official language.

God bless America!
And gay marriage is legal.
Please prove there's a god that you keep referring to.
You might want to look at Forbes newest 10 most liveable cities; they're not in the midwest.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:53 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And gay marriage is legal.
Please prove there's a god that you keep referring to.
You might want to look at Forbes newest 10 most liveable cities; they're not in the midwest.
I don't believe in Forbes or any of these rankings but if you want to go with it, Forbes just ranked Des Moines as the best place for business and careers in the nation, Lincoln, NE was #5, Omaha was #7 and Cedar Rapids, IA #13

Congressional Quarterly Press says Iowa is second in the nation for quality of life.

The State of Iowa has ranked among the top 10 most livable states for 18 straight years and has placed in the top five for 13 of those years.

You can have your bankrupt California or your high tax New York State!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:54 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
After having lived in many other states and parts of the country, it feels good to be back in Iowa. I have been here since January and the more I travel, the more I realize that states like Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas are what is left of the "real America". People in this part of the country are hard working, humble, proud, friendly and patriotic.

Crime in this part of the country is very low, IA, NE and KS have some of the lowest unemployment rates in the country, we still speak English here and always will by the grace of God. Cost of living is low and owning a home and living the American dream here is still very affordable.

You can have your NJ, crowded, dirty neighborhoods, where a studio apt goes for 500K and you pay 10K/year in property taxes or your bankrupt CA with minority gangs, grafitti and where Spanish is the official language.

God bless America!
Seems like a great fit for you, congrats.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
I don't believe in Forbes or any of these rankings but if you want to go with it, Forbes just ranked Des Moines as the best place for business and careers in the nation, Lincoln, NE was #5, Omaha was #7 and Cedar Rapids, IA #13

Congressional Quarterly Press says Iowa is second in the nation for quality of life.

The State of Iowa has ranked among the top 10 most livable states for 18 straight years and has placed in the top five for 13 of those years.

You can have your bankrupt California or your high tax New York State!

It STILL doesn't make you more of a real American than anyone else nor does it make Iowa any more "real America" than anywhere else...

...crime, gangs, hate, racism, poverty, pollution, ...it's all VERY American....

Old 05-06-2010, 06:40 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Is that a Dem program? Paid to not produce?
I don't know but plenty of Republican farmers take advantage of it.....REPUBLICAN Rep Michelle (Joe McCarthy) Bachmann got $250,000 from farm subsidies for her hobby farm....

Old 05-06-2010, 06:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
These Red states are truly RED because they receive far more Federal money than they contribute to the government. Effectively the entire area is on welfare so they can afford to be a good place to live. Remove the Federal subsidies for farms and ethanol along with mining the water from below and these states would dry up and blow away.

The rest of us are tired of paying more Federal taxes than we get back. Here in new Hampshire we only get about 70% of the Federal Taxes collected. Iowa and the rest get about 120% of their contribution.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:26 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
The rest of us fake Americans are happy you found your way home.

Jesus.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:32 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,430 times
Quote:

God bless America!

I don't know why everyone here is being so hateful towards you.

I'm glad you found your way back home and are happy. Enjoy life!

Old 05-06-2010, 07:34 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
We are also one of the original 13 colonies. I can't imagine what is more American than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
These Red states are truly RED because they receive far more Federal money than they contribute to the government. Effectively the entire area is on welfare so they can afford to be a good place to live. Remove the Federal subsidies for farms and ethanol along with mining the water from below and these states would dry up and blow away.
Iowa is a blue state. It receives $1.22 for every $1.00 paid in taxes. Kansas receives $1.13. Nebraska only receives $0.74 for every $1.00 paid in taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The rest of us are tired of paying more Federal taxes than we get back. Here in new Hampshire we only get about 70% of the Federal Taxes collected. Iowa and the rest get about 120% of their contribution.
Blue New Hampshire gets $0.98 for every $1.00 paid in taxes. The red state of Utah breaks perfectly even at $1.00 received for every $1.00 in taxes. Maine gets nearly $2.00 back for every $1.00 in taxes. Maryland and Vermont also have worse ratios than any of the plains states. Even extremely red Arkansas gets fewer dollars back than it puts in ($0.85).

These are all 2008 figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies