Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:57 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
After having lived in many other states and parts of the country, it feels good to be back in Iowa. I have been here since January and the more I travel, the more I realize that states like Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas are what is left of the "real America". People in this part of the country are hard working, humble, proud, friendly and patriotic.

Crime in this part of the country is very low, IA, NE and KS have some of the lowest unemployment rates in the country, we still speak English here and always will by the grace of God. Cost of living is low and owning a home and living the American dream here is still very affordable.

You can have your NJ, crowded, dirty neighborhoods, where a studio apt goes for 500K and you pay 10K/year in property taxes or your bankrupt CA with minority gangs, grafitti and where Spanish is the official language.

God bless America!
Your """Real AmeriKa"" doesn't include New Jersey, one of the original colonies.
Apparently it doesn't include non Arayans either.
Sounds like Republikaaner Arayanzona

So any Non Arayans need not apply

Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Isn't it vaguely ironic to claim to be humble, while being so exclusionary and prideful to consider oneself one of the few "true" Americans?
You mischaracterize the OP. He didn't say he considered himself one of the few true Americans. Rather he was comparing Iowa to an idealized America--America the way it used to be and still should be. That's his opinion of the ideal America. You must have yours. Why the personal attack?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It STILL doesn't make you more of a real American than anyone else nor does it make Iowa any more "real America" than anywhere else...

...crime, gangs, hate, racism, poverty, pollution, ...it's all VERY American....
Don't you find that to be, well, just a little sad that those things are "all VERY American"? I do.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyfor View Post
You'll have to make your own call as to whether it's a "Dem program" or not. Personally I haven't really seen much of any difference between Dems and Reps on farm subsidies (by this I mean those congressmen who are from "farm states"). I grant that this opinion is based mostly on my perception having lived in one of said "farm states" for 22 years and growing up on a "small family farm", not on any statistics I have researched.

But among the relevant points from the article:

There have been a number of changes, since 1985, in subsequent farm bills. I would refer you to the article if you wish to read in further depth, or to this link - a good side-by-side of changes made to the CRP program as of the 2008 Farm Bill:

2008 Farm Bill Side-By-Side: Title II: Conservation
What this suggests to me is that the federal government effectively seized this farmland by proscribing farming on it. Under the Constitution when the government seizes property for a public purpose (in this case conservation) the owner must be compensated. So what you call a subsidy is, in actuality, just compensation.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:32 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
After having lived in many other states and parts of the country, it feels good to be back in Iowa. I have been here since January and the more I travel, the more I realize that states like Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas are what is left of the "real America". People in this part of the country are hard working, humble, proud, friendly and patriotic.

Crime in this part of the country is very low, IA, NE and KS have some of the lowest unemployment rates in the country, we still speak English here and always will by the grace of God. Cost of living is low and owning a home and living the American dream here is still very affordable.

You can have your NJ, crowded, dirty neighborhoods, where a studio apt goes for 500K and you pay 10K/year in property taxes or your bankrupt CA with minority gangs, grafitti and where Spanish is the official language.

God bless America!
Tell me about it. I have lived in cities where all the gas stations made you prepay thru a tiny drawer, to an attendant sitting behind 3" bullet proof glass, graffiti on every highway overpass and sign, bare wall, and billboard, and no one ever greeted you on the sidewalk.

And then one day I went to a town 20 min from the IA border, for a job interview. I drove my rental car from the airport, and no one laid on the horn if the cars did not move immediately after the traffic light changed, the gas station attendant, behind the open air counter, told me he could not take my money until after I pumped the gas, and people at intersections were actually stopping at crosswalks, and waving cars into traffic who had been waiting to turn right from the cross streets and driveways.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 AM

596 posts, read 889,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Tell me about it. I have lived in cities where all the gas stations made you prepay thru a tiny drawer, to an attendant sitting behind 3" bullet proof glass, graffiti on every highway overpass and sign, bare wall, and billboard, and no one ever greeted you on the sidewalk.

And then one day I went to a town 20 min from the IA border, for a job interview. I drove my rental car from the airport, and no one laid on the horn if the cars did not move immediately after the traffic light changed, the gas station attendant, behind the open air counter, told me he could not take my money until after I pumped the gas, and people at intersections were actually stopping at crosswalks, and waving cars into traffic who had been waiting to turn right from the cross streets and driveways.
I moved from California to IL a few years ago. I will NEVER get used to men constantly holding doors open for me. They even hurry ahead to make sure they get to it before I do!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
I moved from California to IL a few years ago. I will NEVER get used to men constantly holding doors open for me. They even hurry ahead to make sure they get to it before I do!
Since you are from California, did you notice a lack of elderly people in the fast food restaurants? I noticed it my first day out here in fly-over country. I went to a McDonalds and half of the people in there sitting down eating or ordering food were elderly couples, and its repeated all over this area. Back in California the crowds in those restaurants were 50 and under, the same for the malls and shopping centers, its like all the old people stayed at home. <shrug> Maybe I was just not paying attention all those years in California, and had blinders on? But I sure notice the elderly folks out here.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:00 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
You mischaracterize the OP. He didn't say he considered himself one of the few true Americans. Rather he was comparing Iowa to an idealized America--America the way it used to be and still should be. That's his opinion of the ideal America. You must have yours. Why the personal attack?
Read the title....it says "real" America.....

Old 05-06-2010, 11:26 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,556,038 times
Earlier in the thread someone posted that New York has recognition of gay relationships. Guess what, so does Iowa! Hell, they have gay marriage, does New York? Hell, Iowa is MILES ahead of California when it comes to that.

The people I've met from Iowa didn't seem bothered that gay marriage was legal. My relatives in Davenport said they'd throw a wedding for me if I wanted to move there when I find the right guy.

So, Iowa seems to have a mix of the "old-fashioned" America, and the "progessive" America. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:33 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
LOL kind of left out
-entitlements the farming complex gets in those states even to not produce crops....where are the tea party protest?
-those spanish speaking people who work out in the fields and processing plants that dot your eutopia
-lowest unemployment rates because everybody is leaving..yuck
-your huge meth head problem...
-the thought that you think your version of america is the real and authentic america...........I wonder what the native americans would think about your real america?

I live in Iowa and love it.

1. entitlements for farmers. Great- take them away and see what happens to the price of your food. You would be the first to complain.

2. Spanish speaking workers in the fields? Apparently you have never been to Iowa. There are ZERO hispanic farm laborers (they work in meat packing plants). Modern farms are HUGE and completely mechanized with a "small farm" anymore being 2,000 acres (664 acres is a square mile).

3. Low unemployment. The state has had the same population for thirty years. "Clean" buisnesses like Wells Fargo and IBM are moving here like crazy, as we still have educated, hard working people who live here.

4. Meth problem? I did not know we had a huge meth problem. You watch too many fake documentaries.

5. Our America is real. It is what the rest of the country used to be like before liberals ruined it. Stay on the coasts and out of Iowa, as we don't want you here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies