Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 11:36 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Bull. There were students there wearing the mexican flag. Don't you think they were doing a little baiting? Why ONLY ask the students wearing the American flag to turn their shirts inside out? Could it be because the asst. principal was of mexican decent?
My dad, a war vet, still thinks wearing the flag is disrespectful. It's only people who want to see a problem who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 11:39 AM

596 posts, read 889,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Containment what? I think you are trying to be insulting but failing. Sorry.
No, I wasn't trying to insult anyone. Maybe I wasn't clear. Your point was that the principal was trying to prevent an outbreak of violence, right?

Well, the actual result is that it is now a national story. AND the school board overruled them. How many kids are going to show up in the days and weeks following this with patriotic gear from BOTH countries? You can't stop them, right? The school board overruled this policy.

The school's decision to send those kids home made this into a WAY bigger story than if they had just let it go.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:39 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Why did they wear all those flags on that particular day. It's clear that the kids wore the apparel as a form of antagonism. Seems like the principal was trying to avoid a fight. The story says the kids wearing the flags were being ridiculed and made fun at. The principal should have let them wear whatever flags they wanted, and warned them that they might get their arses kicked. Personally I think wearing any flag as clothing is uber tacky, but it's a free country and you have the right to dress like an idiot.
So would you defend a school who sent students displaying the Mexican flag on 4th of July or Memorial day?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
It's clear that the students only wore the American flag attire to cause problems. They picked the one day that it would be very likely to lead to confrontation and possible violence to act like jingoistic jerkoffs. IMO, the school handled this situation perfectly.

It is one thing to be proud of your country and the American flag. It is something much different to use the display of the flag as a device to sitr up trouble for no reason.
People like you make me want to vomit.

These kids are Americans living in America. They did not want to participate in a Mexican holiday, but instead chose to wear their pride in America instead. That is a 100% perfectly acceptable choice in a country where free speech is supposed to be protected. Your assertion that a bunch of Mexican thugs might get pissed and attack with violence only makes it even more ridiculous that we should bend over backwards to make them happy.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-06-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 11:41 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
You are wrong, being a proud American inside America is fine with me. What I have a problem with is people taking our country's flag and using it to intentionally anger people with the hope of causing a violent confrontation. What the kids did was an abuse of what that flag stands for.
OHHH B.S.! The wearing of the American flag on your clothes is a common thing. We have plant operators that have a flag on thier shirt sleeve. Happens everyday.....Would you stop a GI in ACU's from wearing the flag on his shirt or accuse him of inciteing riot with it.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:44 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
So would you defend a school who sent students displaying the Mexican flag on 4th of July or Memorial day?
Don't mean to nit-pick, but at least where I live no schools are open on July 4th or Memorial day - so yeah I guess all those kids sporting Mexican gear would be turned away and told to go home

Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
It's clear that the students only wore the American flag attire to cause problems. They picked the one day that it would be very likely to lead to confrontation and possible violence to act like jingoistic jerkoffs. IMO, the school handled this situation perfectly.

It is one thing to be proud of your country and the American flag. It is something much different to use the display of the flag as a device to sitr up trouble for no reason.
How is it clear that their motive was to cause trouble vs simply display patriotism for their own country? Are you a mind reader? If wearing red, white and blue or displaying a flag IN AMERICA would lead to confrontation and/or violence then it is the students who ENGAGE in actual confrontation and/or violence who should be addressed. One's rights are not determined by what someone else feels is offensive. These kids did not violate the school dress code or policy and to anyone who didn't like it....tough luck.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM

I'm glad nobody was hurt is all.

This reminds me of other type of baiting that goes on at schools, such as when Christian groups decide to hold rally on the same day the GSA group is holding one. Sure, everyone has the right, but you don't need more than half a brain to see what's really going on. I have no respect for people who only choose to exercise their rights to oppose someone else doing the same. It shows me that they really don't care about anything except causing a scene and "sticking it to" whoever they don't like.

And I'm thinking school uniforms would have prevented this particular issue. Hahaha.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My dad, a war vet, still thinks wearing the flag is disrespectful.
So is every soldier in the United States Army being disrespectful by wearing combat uniforms with American Flags on them?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
So is every soldier in the United States Army being disrespectful by wearing combat uniforms with American Flags on them?
Uniforms are a particular type of clothing that not everyone gets to wear. It's a privilege and honor.

A tee shirt or bandanna worn by any yahoo with a body doesn't fall into that category.

See and think what you will...I know he isn't alone in his thinking. I'm not even saying I agree, just that you will be insulted by whatever you WANT to be insulted by. Kind of like this whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies