Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 02:08 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,775,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions," said Dr. Jay Totter of the district.

By sundown, the district met with all the students and parents, and they all got good news. The t-shirts can stay.
Seems to me they figured it out your version of free speech pretty quickly.

HOWEVER...

Honors and ceremonies standards of handling US flag are clear to Honor guard.
Flag Rules and Regulations

Quote:
§8. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

1. The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
2. The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
3. The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
4. The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
5. The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
6. The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
7. The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
8. The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
9. The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
10. No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
11. The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 02:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
The sad commentary is that it is now considered by some to be patriotic to provoke a confrontation. What these kids did is akin to wearing a Confederate flag shirt on MLK day.

I'm a liberal, a black liberal..........but this statement is absolute bs. There is no comparison.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:22 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,203,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
celebrate diversity
Just plain stupid (of this school). For heaven's sake, we ARE in the US afterall. I see nothing wrong with wearing the U.S. flag apparel in the U.S. Maybe there's something wrong with me. FYI, I consider myself a pretty liberal person, but even for me, I find this totally stupid. I believe that we've reached the "tipping point" as far as political correctness. This sounds like it's way beyond political correctness though; it's just plain ridiculous.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
celebrate diversity
Using the flag as clothing is tacky anyway...

Old 05-06-2010, 02:51 PM

79 posts, read 143,754 times
Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees | NBC Bay Area

The female complainer typifies the kind of education she's getting. "We wouldn't wear Mexican colors on the 4th of July". What a complete ignoramous.
I wonder how I'd fare wearing Old Glory on Cinco de Mayo Day in Tijuana or Juarez?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:57 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,023,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Just plain stupid (of this school). For heaven's sake, we ARE in the US afterall. I see nothing wrong with wearing the U.S. flag apparel in the U.S. Maybe there's something wrong with me. FYI, I consider myself a pretty liberal person, but even for me, I find this totally stupid. I believe that we've reached the "tipping point" as far as political correctness. This sounds like it's way beyond political correctness though; it's just plain ridiculous.
Exactly! U.S. students in U.S. Public Schools unable to wear U.S. Patriotic clothing??? C'mon taxpayers, time to speak up!!!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:13 PM

61 posts, read 68,719 times
Now I am even more embarrassed of being an alumni from that school.. sad

Old 05-06-2010, 03:36 PM

5,334 posts, read 4,422,550 times
This is not an illegal immigration thread. Any attempts to make it one will be seen as hijacking!

Please stay on topic.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:47 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,023,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
School board decisions always come too late, so it doesn't make any difference. They just issue these proclamations so that their asses are covered and protected from litigation.

I hope the AntiChrist Lawyers Union steps in for those kids, this is something that should be taken up by them.
Agreed. But good luck with that happening.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:48 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It's busy but I did post it on my Facebook which has almost 5000 people. I must pass this number on.
I would pay good money to see the faces of the staff at the high school taking calls and screening emails for Senor Assistant Principal today. I bet they took the phones off because they blew up once this story broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies