Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM

171 posts, read 212,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
What did they intend to start? They were minding their own business, in clothes that they wear with some regularity, displaying colors and representations of the flag. Why should anyone else care? It was the overly sensitive Mexican students who were looking to start something, who couldn't mind their own business. It wasn't enough for them to celebrate their own holiday, they have to make sure everyone else honors their Mexican holiday as well??? Idiots. Are we going to start celebrating ALL of the Mexican holidays now? How about we fly a Mexican flag outside of the school instead of an American flag? After all.....we don't want the Mexican students to think we are trying to 'start something'. .
No overly sensitive white Americans (most not all) who can not leave well enough alone. Always feel that have the given right to do what ever the heck they want. But the worst thing about it!! Unlike any other culture they never admit to it; they play dumb like "what did I do". I just woke up one morning and decided to wear an American flag and wow is it Cinco DeMayo. Wow.. I didn't know well with all that's going on in today’s world with the Mexicans I sure don't want to offend nobody" duh.

Quote:
So the hell what? It could have been Potato Salad day for all I care. What does Cinco de Mayo have to do with the USA? It isn't an American holiday, it doesn't even commemorate anything to do with the USA...it commemorates a battle between MEXICO and FRANCE. If the Mexican students wanted to celebrate it then good for them....but what does that have to do with anyone else choosing to celebrate or not celebrate? The school board KNOWS the assistant priciple was wrong and violated school policy, probably state law as well as the first amendment rights of those students.

Those students have the right to wear WHATEVER THE HELL THEY WANT even if some Mexican students don't like it. Let them go knock their heads against the wall but it isn't anyone's problem but theirs.

If the assistant principal had any sort of brain he would have addressed the 'concern' from a first amendment perspective but instead he decided to be political and HE was the one who let this get out of hand. He should be fired if for no other reason than that he is an idiot.
I think the assistant principal is the only one who has a brain. Just cause the law was set up to make excuses for "Certain class of People" to get a way with ignorant behavior doesn't mean it's morally right. You know some people live by the law and some people have Morals, dignity, and respect! And doesn't feel the need to ridicule people to make them feel important or powerful or what ever you small minded people need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:29 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcallis View Post
No overly sensitive white Americans (most not all) who can not leave well enough alone. Always feel that have the given right to do what ever the heck they want. But the worst thing about it!! Unlike any other culture they never admit to it; they play dumb like "what did I do". I just woke up one morning and decided to wear an American flag and wow is it Cinco DeMayo. Wow.. I didn't know well with all that's going on in today’s world with the Mexicans I sure don't want to offend nobody" duh.
Well gee, now that's the funny thing about The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution because it says just that....That we have unalienable rights that do not come from the government. We don't need permission to exercise them and you can go pound sand if you don't like it.

Quote:
I think the assistant principal is the only one who has a brain. Just cause the law was set up to make excuses for "Certain class of People" to get a way with ignorant behavior doesn't mean it's morally right. You know some people live by the law and some people have Morals, dignity, and respect! And doesn't feel the need to ridicule people to make them feel important or powerful or what ever you small minded people need.
Oh so now we get down to it. You don't like the first amendment, at all. School kids can't wear American t-shirts on Cinco de Miracle Whip day. What else is off limits? What other rights do you want to do away with?

These aren't silly little laws we are talking about or a bunch of high school students and t-shirts....these are the fundamental rights that define us as a nation.

Our rights are not defined by your shallow minded definitions of morality, dignity and respect or anyone elses definition. One of us does not get to decide for another what kind of speech is acceptable depending on what we think is appropriate or our guess of their intentions.

If that's the kind of country you want to live in you'll have to go somewhere else. But make sure to keep your mouth shut because I guarantee....someone will not like what you have to say and try to silence you. Good luck.

Last edited by NCyank; 05-13-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-13-2010, 10:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Regardless of this case, the point is that one does not have to do everything one has the right to do according to law. There are things such as common sense, fairness, etc.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Well why don't you use your crystal ball and tell us what everyone's motives are? They said they were showing patriotism....just because you think differently doesn't make it so. FYI, the students said they wear those clothes (or other patriotic themed clothes) with some regularity. They weren't acting up, they were sitting minding their own business. The assistant principal didn't say they were causing any trouble, but that others were complaining about their shirts.

What do you think political speech of any sort does....IT SENDS A MESSAGE, genius.....that's what the first amendment protects. You don't have to like the message but you don't have the right to silence it either.

How would Mexican students be humiliated by an American flag? How do some students wearing American flag and colors mess up their day for the Mexican students who were decked out in their colors and flags? That's kind of stupid and immature.

Newsflash THEY CAN WEAR WHATEVER THEY WANT FOR WHATEVER REASON and it's still protected speech. The first amendment isn't only to protect speech that everyone likes or agrees with.....is that difficult for you to understand? You can show pride for your country, you can protest a war, you can wear pink on breast cancer awareness day or Mexican colors on Cinco de Miracle Whip, you can wear an American flag t-shirt or a gay pride shirt and if anyone doesn't like it it's their problem.

Why not on that day or any other day they want? THIS IS AMERICA and those students don't have to sacrifice their free speech because some pansy Mexican students don't understand the first amendment and what it means. Unfortunately, their assistant principal doesn't understand it either.
1. Someone needs a crystal ball - because you or they will never admit the truth.
2. Just because I think differently doesn’t make it so - that applies to you as well.
3. Some Regularity of wearing the clothes - I doubt it, I don’t believe a thing those kids say. MHO
4. Of course they were not causing trouble, their attire spoke for them. Nothing new. It’s like those kids hanging a noose on a tree at school. They needed not to open their mouth, they got their message across.
5. Ahh the First Amendment - you live by. What about morals and respect for others!! There is a higher Power that says he judges your heart. So, anyone that thinks they can be mean and spiteful can get away with it - only here in this ugly world. Genius!!!
6.Why would Mexican’s be humiliated by the flag.?? - (ok - u want to play dumb) You and I know they are not, it’s just the way the flag is being used. It’s just like gay pride day - u don’t think they will feel humiliated if a whole bunch of straight people show up with man in women on their shirts, sneakers and head. It’s not they are against it - it’s why here, why now, the message. All though we have the right to do that by law, but why do u have the right to shun somebody’s celebration.
7. Mexican’s were decked out because it was their day of celebration - a day this is celebrated all across the U.S..
8. No it’s not difficult for me to understand - I understand it completely!!! I just said, " you guys will never admit the truth". What I DON’T understand is why and when will people with a negative message just won’t flat out and say what they say at home behind closed doors or with their friends?? Why not just flat out and say - I am going to school with the American flags today to show them who reign supreme here!! Watch us **** them off?? Instead of hiding behind all these other lame excuses.

9.Cinco de Miracle Whip - Pansy Mexican - SPEAKS FOR ITSELF and tells me a whole lot about YOU. Don’t yell out cause they have the right!! Yell out the truth you don’t like Mexicans and you fight for the right for any Americans to disrespect them at any cost.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Regardless of this case, the point is that one does not have to do everything one has the right to do according to law. There are things such as common sense, fairness, etc.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:36 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
LOL...you getting all worked up over a couple of t-shirts.

Quote:
1. Someone needs a crystal ball - because you or they will never admit the truth. And now you are God too because only YOU know the truth.
2. Just because I think differently doesn’t make it so - that applies to you as well. True, I am giving the benefit of the doubt because I only KNOW what they say....I'm not God.
3. Some Regularity of wearing the clothes - I doubt it, I don’t believe a thing those kids say. MHO Again with the God complex.
4. Of course they were not causing trouble, their attire spoke for them. Nothing new. It’s like those kids hanging a noose on a tree at school. They needed not to open their mouth, they got their message across. How do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you are so obviously off the deep end. Wearing a shirt with a flag on it is like hanging a noose on a tree....??? Your poor demented mind....it must be hard to live like that.
5. Ahh the First Amendment - you live by. What about morals and respect for others!! There is a higher Power that says he judges your heart. So, anyone that thinks they can be mean and spiteful can get away with it - only here in this ugly world. Genius!!! True, it is for God to judge so why do YOU need to play God and be the judge? Oh yeah, I forgot that you think you are God.
6.Why would Mexican’s be humiliated by the flag.?? - (ok - u want to play dumb) You and I know they are not, it’s just the way the flag is being used. It’s just like gay pride day - u don’t think they will feel humiliated if a whole bunch of straight people show up with man in women on their shirts, sneakers and head. It’s not they are against it - it’s why here, why now, the message. All though we have the right to do that by law, but why do u have the right to shun somebody’s celebration. Only a bunch of pansy gays who need approval from others would feel humiliated by man/woman shirts just like only pansy straights would feel humiliated by a gay pride shirt. You can take any POV that you want, agreement is not required.

Are you serious with the bolded statement?? We don't have the right to not participate in Cinco de Miracle Whip? We should all be legally required to celebrate?
See, this is where you deluded logic leads. What's next, we all have to celebrate Canadian holidays too?

7. Mexican’s were decked out because it was their day of celebration - a day this is celebrated all across the U.S.. No, it is not celebrated all across the US. It is celebrated some places but certainly not all. No one suggested they shouldn't celebrate...good for them.
8. No it’s not difficult for me to understand - I understand it completely!!! I just said, " you guys will never admit the truth". What I DON’T understand is why and when will people with a negative message just won’t flat out and say what they say at home behind closed doors or with their friends?? Why not just flat out and say - I am going to school with the American flags today to show them who reign supreme here!! Watch us **** them off?? Instead of hiding behind all these other lame excuses.
Again with the crystal ball/God complex. Are you taking enough medication?

9.Cinco de Miracle Whip - Pansy Mexican - SPEAKS FOR ITSELF and tells me a whole lot about YOU. Don’t yell out cause they have the right!! Yell out the truth you don’t like Mexicans and you fight for the right for any Americans to disrespect them at any cost.What?? I thought Mayo and Miracle Whip were the same thing????
As for pansy....anyone can be a pansy....not just Mexicans. Notice above I said 'pansy gays' and 'pansy straights'....meaning overly sensitive, sissy types who always come up with something to tattle and cry about. "Oh....they offend me with their flag t-shirts!!!

Fact is, people will find offense if they are looking. They'll find it everywhere, anywhere, even if it only exists in their own mind. Really, just tell one of your friends that people are looking at them funny. Suddenly they will begin to 'see' that people ARE looking at them funny....even though you made it all up. Once it gets in their head and they think it, it becomes real to them. You've been listening to the voices in your head for way too long. Not everyone is a racist. Not every t-shirt is an offense. Not everyone who chooses not to participate in Cinco de Mayo is going to string up a Mexican from a tree. Oh, and you are not God.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:47 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How could someone not see that it was belligerent of the boys?
Regardless of the rationale for wearing the American Flag shirts ... Since when is displaying our nation's flag an issue that requires disciplinary action? If those who are celebrating Cinco De Mayo are offended by our nation's flag, then they are in the wrong country. We are, first and foremost, the USA.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame_excuse View Post
My final say in this: if the kids really DID want to start something in response to this day, they were in fault here, but everyone would be defending them under the guise of "patriotism" if they didn't know the kids' true intentions.

Yes, the vice principal was wrong for sending the kids home if they were just being patriotic without intention of creating controversy. If the vice principal were right, however, then this would be bigger news than it is and would probably create tensions between the groups.

The kids had no reason to wear what they wore on that day -- patriotism would just be used as an excuse. They could've worn it any other day, but NOOOOOOOOOOO, they chose that day for some odd reason. They didn't really do anything wrong, unless gaining attention was the purpose. It was just bad timing, nothing else.
Someone mentioned that the kids ALWAYS wore the clothing even before May 5th. If this is true, then yes, the vice principal overreacted and this paragraph of my post is nullified.

The way a few people here post ad hominem posts like "LOVE IT OR GTFO", I wouldn't blame people proud of their heritage for feeling as if the American-lovers saw them as no different from them. Not our fault America HAS NO CULTURE. Yes, I said it. America. No culture whatsoever. Not America's fault either, since it's not even 250 years old, unlike the many European cultures that were around for centuries and were able to develop them over time.
Sorry but we do have a culture and the American flag is an important symbol of the freedom that we all take for granted.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Are you serious? It was Cinco de Mayo.
Is there a law on the books that requires Americans to cease from wearing patriotic clothing on Cinco De Mayo (May 5th)?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
You forget it's our Country, not the mexicans!!! Screw cinco de mayo. It's a mexican day, not ours. In fact,why not learn all the history on it, it's a slap in our face too.
While our kids are learning about cultural holidays and traditions of Mexico, etc ... They are learning about how evil and oppressive our country is. Why are we pushing cultural holidays and not celebrating our own nation's heritage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies