Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 12:03 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times

Advertisements

Hey!! I went to that high school when I was a Freshman and Sophmore!!! I will state I hated it and hated California. Not for any reasons like this though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Why did they wear all those flags on that particular day. It's clear that the kids wore the apparel as a form of antagonism. Seems like the principal was trying to avoid a fight. The story says the kids wearing the flags were being ridiculed and made fun at. The principal should have let them wear whatever flags they wanted, and warned them that they might get their arses kicked. Personally I think wearing any flag as clothing is uber tacky, but it's a free country and you have the right to dress like an idiot.
NO, he should have sent home anyone who was ridiculing or threatening violence.

What the heck kind of pansy students would feel antagonized by students wearing pro-American apparel? Why does their desire to celebrate Cinco de Miracle Whip allow them to dictate what other students should wear. No, it was not the kids wearing American colors who were the antagonists but the students who were harassing and threatening violence.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
OHHH B.S.! The wearing of the American flag on your clothes is a common thing. We have plant operators that have a flag on thier shirt sleeve. Happens everyday.....Would you stop a GI in ACU's from wearing the flag on his shirt or accuse him of inciteing riot with it.
Wearing a flag on your uniform is one thing, wearing a shirt, gym shoes, and shorts covered in any flag is downright tacky. I see this in my city during the Puerto Rican parade and Mexican Independence parade. People would gaudy taste would never realize this, as they have poor taste.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Well, I definitely take this as a sign that racial tensions are getting worse. Good point, I don't think any Irish would get upset if you wore an American flag on St Patrick's Day. But if you wear it on Cinco de Mayo, then it is an implied insult to Mexicans.

BTW, I predicted all of this years ago. I predicted that when the economy got bad, people would look around for scapegoats and the illegal immigrants would be a handy group to blame.

I'm not saying I'm pro-illegal. In fact, I'm all for a border fence and deportation! But, you can't blame all of the problems of society and the economy on illegals. It's also a good diversion from the bad economy for the politicians to get you to focus on.
The intent behind wearing the American flags on that of all days is obviously incendiary. A more analogous comparison would be going to a St. Patrick's Day parade emblazoned with the union jack.

I don't see how people can be so willfully obtuse as to ignore the intent behind these students actions. You certainly grasp the intent behind Mexicans wearing the Mexican flag at immigration rallies, yet somehow you can see the ill intent of your own?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:09 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm glad nobody was hurt is all.

This reminds me of other type of baiting that goes on at schools, such as when Christian groups decide to hold rally on the same day the GSA group is holding one. Sure, everyone has the right, but you don't need more than half a brain to see what's really going on. I have no respect for people who only choose to exercise their rights to oppose someone else doing the same. It shows me that they really don't care about anything except causing a scene and "sticking it to" whoever they don't like.

And I'm thinking school uniforms would have prevented this particular issue. Hahaha.
Are you talking about the atheist groups that are out protesting today as a National Day of Prayer?

Are they playing the role of antagonist and should they be sent home?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
NO, he should have sent home anyone who was ridiculing or threatening violence.

What the heck kind of pansy students would feel antagonized by students wearing pro-American apparel?
You have to be kidding. Threatening violence is grounds for being sent home, but ridiculing? Give me a break. How politically correct and thin skinned are these students? Yet you go on to call other students pansy??????

Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm glad nobody was hurt is all.

This reminds me of other type of baiting that goes on at schools, such as when Christian groups decide to hold rally on the same day the GSA group is holding one. Sure, everyone has the right, but you don't need more than half a brain to see what's really going on. I have no respect for people who only choose to exercise their rights to oppose someone else doing the same. It shows me that they really don't care about anything except causing a scene and "sticking it to" whoever they don't like.

And I'm thinking school uniforms would have prevented this particular issue. Hahaha.
It's called EQUAL rights for a reason. You, nor anyone else, get to decide who's rights "come first".

Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Wearing a flag on your uniform is one thing, wearing a shirt, gym shoes, and shorts covered in any flag is downright tacky. I see this in my city during the Puerto Rican parade and Mexican Independence parade. People would gaudy taste would never realize this, as they have poor taste.
So now we need Federal Fashion police? Tacky (in your opinion) isn't illegal. It's just your opinion.

I wear a LOT of red, white and blue apparel, and most of it has a flag on it. So what? A lot of people in CA wear tie dye. I think that's the most hideous fashion "look" on the planet. So what?

Since when did we replace "it's a free country" with "you MUST act a certain way, and the govt will regulate it to make sure you do"?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:15 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
celebrate diversity
naturally, it was California that had a problem with the American flag.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
The intent behind wearing the American flags on that of all days is obviously incendiary. A more analogous comparison would be going to a St. Patrick's Day parade emblazoned with the union jack.

I don't see how people can be so willfully obtuse as to ignore the intent behind these students actions. You certainly grasp the intent behind Mexicans wearing the Mexican flag at immigration rallies, yet somehow you can see the ill intent of your own?
Why are you ignoring the fact that mexican students were wearing the mexican flag. Giving them a pass on the fact that THEY were being obviously incendiary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies