Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

English is the de facto language of information technology and thus will continue to increase in dominance as time goes on. Spanish is #3 and English #4 in number of native speakers, but English is 2nd in total number of speakers while Spanish is 4th, according to this:
Top 30 Language Spoken in the World by Number of Speakers

Spanish to me is the most beautiful language on earth, and if we had to switch over I wouldn't mind. Some languages are just ugly to listen to if you don't understand them, Arabic and Amharic being examples. So if we have to be invaded and conquered, I'd rather it be Spanish speakers than Arabic-speaking Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 04:08 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Come one, we should just give up and face the inevitable. Look at the population numbers. Whites are shrinking (how many white people do you know with more than one or two kids?) and the Hispanic population is exploding.

I think one factor is Catholicism among Hispanics. Less birth control, less abortions, etc. And of course, all those people coming over the border.

Look at history, it's happened all over the globe. One culture overruns another. It WILL happen here, we just have to face it and accept it. Go ahead and print everything in Spanish, make Spanish a requirement to learn in school. If you can't beat'em, join'em.....right?
You do know that the US has no official language, right?

In any case, English is far and away the fastest growing language in the world. It isn't going away any time soon. I am a former ESL teacher. I have a degree in applied linguistics. I know something about this topic.

And here's something that will really blow your mind: not only do the great majority of Latino immigrants learn English, but evidence suggests they are actually learning it FASTER than European immigrants did a hundred years ago. It's true. During the last century, it usually took an average of 3 generations for English to supplant immigrants' ancestral language. Nowadays, it usually takes 2. There are a number of reasons for this, the most important being that immigrant kids today spend a lot more time in school then they did 100 years ago. Back then, immigrant children were more likely to go to work than to school in the morning. They usually worked around other immigrants, and thus had far less exposure to English at an early age than immigrant kids do today.

What amazes me is that in Europe, even someone with a high school education will usuallu speak at least 2 languages. It is just more practical. But in the US, people don't even WANT to learn other languages. They actually resent it. We are such an ignorant culture in some ways...

Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
As strongly anti illegal alien as I am, am also a realist, and for sure, Spanish will never replace English and Hispanic/Latino persons will not remotely become anywhere close to being a majority in the USA except in localized areas. At 16% of the population that is only one person out of every six, hardly what we could call a majority.

In the last few years there has been a growing anti illegal alien sentiment that is not going to decrease regardless of the election results. There is also the assimilation factor. After about three or four generations those that are not deported and are able to remain here will become more affluent and Americanized, and birthrates will decline to become more in line with the general population. It has been this way for every other immigrant nationality group in our history. Am aware that the horde of illegals is a unique situation and that Hispanics have not assimilated as well as other groups, but regardless of what the Reconquista and Aztlan radicals proclaim they are not going to take over the USA in any way, shape, or form, although they have, and will continue to have, a major impact on American life and culture.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:08 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
We interrupt our regularly scheduled "OMG you better learn Mandarin!" thread to bring you today's inevitable Spanish language takeover thread...

Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Push back against Spanish is happening in many places on a "grass roots" level.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
As strongly anti illegal alien as I am, am also a realist, and for sure, Spanish will never replace English and Hispanic/Latino persons will not remotely become anywhere close to being a majority in the USA except in localized areas. At 16% of the population that is only one person out of every six, hardly what we could call a majority.

In the last few years there has been a growing anti illegal alien sentiment that is not going to decrease regardless of the election results. There is also the assimilation factor. After about three or four generations those that are not deported and are able to remain here will become more affluent and Americanized, and birthrates will decline to become more in line with the general population. It has been this way for every other immigrant nationality group in our history. Am aware that the horde of illegals is a unique situation and that Hispanics have not assimilated as well as other groups, but regardless of what the Reconquista and Aztlan radicals proclaim they are not going to take over the USA in any way, shape, or form, although they have, and will continue to have, a major impact on American life and culture.
Most legal aliens WANT to become Americans; it's the illegal aliens and their kids who cry when not catered to.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It is in my house.
You're house doesn't mean squat. Out in mainstream USA our language is English. Don't like it leave.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Come one, we should just give up and face the inevitable. Look at the population numbers. Whites are shrinking (how many white people do you know with more than one or two kids?) and the Hispanic population is exploding.

I think one factor is Catholicism among Hispanics. Less birth control, less abortions, etc. And of course, all those people coming over the border.

Look at history, it's happened all over the globe. One culture overruns another. It WILL happen here, we just have to face it and accept it. Go ahead and print everything in Spanish, make Spanish a requirement to learn in school. If you can't beat'em, join'em.....right?
Spanish will always be the language of tomato pickers and housekeepers. If the Mexicans coming over the border are going to always be too lazy to learn a word of English, they can continue to clean the toilets and rake the leaves.

Like it or not, English is the international language -- it's the language of science, business, technology. But if all those people pouring over the border and having large numbers of kids they cannot afford don't want those kids to ever learn English and take advantage of knowing the international language --- too bad so sad, the kids can drop out of school anytime they like and save taxpayers the money.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 PM

632 posts, read 1,179,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
You do know that the US has no official language, right?

In any case, English is far and away the fastest growing language in the world. It isn't going away any time soon. I am a former ESL teacher. I have a degree in applied linguistics. I know something about this topic.

And here's something that will really blow your mind: not only do the great majority of Latino immigrants learn English, but evidence suggests they are actually learning it FASTER than European immigrants did a hundred years ago. It's true. During the last century, it usually took an average of 3 generations for English to supplant immigrants' ancestral language. Nowadays, it usually takes 2. There are a number of reasons for this, the most important being that immigrant kids today spend a lot more time in school then they did 100 years ago. Back then, immigrant children were more likely to go to work than to school in the morning. They usually worked around other immigrants, and thus had far less exposure to English at an early age than immigrant kids do today.

What amazes me is that in Europe, even someone with a high school education will usuallu speak at least 2 languages. It is just more practical. But in the US, people don't even WANT to learn other languages. They actually resent it. We are such an ignorant culture in some ways...
When Spanish, French, and Sign Language are your only options and you don't want to learn any of those and are forced to take Spanish, heck yeah I'm not going to enjoy it and half-ass everything.

We live in America and English should be the main language. I'm tired of seeing us print forms in other languages and have classes which are taught predominately in Spanish. WTF is up with that?

I would LOVE to learn another language, German, Bulgarian, Russian, or even Portuguese but sadly none of these options were made available to me.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're house doesn't mean squat. Out in mainstream USA our language is English. Don't like it leave.
Ah, the reflexive juvenile answers of the primitive right wing........

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-25-2012 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies