Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 AM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Ah, the reflexive juvenile answers of the primitive right wing........
Ah, the usual insults by the lefty ethnocentrics who just can't seem to accept the fact that English is our nation's de facto language and always has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 06:30 AM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolouwho View Post
Y'all do realize that part of the southwest used to belong to Mexico and Florida used to belong to Spain, right? If I remember from my US history class, at one point Spain used to own all the land west of the Mississippi river and France used to own parts of New England. Why can't Americans learn another language? Other people around the world seem to be bilingual and are still able to have a rich heritage in their country. I wish I had learned Spanish in high school, but instead I took four years of Latin. Now I'm slowly picking up Spanish and have bought a teach yourself course to aid me.

So Quebec is in chaos? I know that French is the only official language, but it is required by law to use English in situations where monolingual people would need it. Laws in Quebec are available in both French and English, as well as the judicial system and healthcare.

I've sat in on court several times in Arizona, and I've seen many people use Spanish interpreters. A lot of people I met were bilingual and I've seen job listing after job listing requiring applicants to be bilingual. Knowing another language is a good skill to have, especially a language that is spoken by such a large population of the world. It's not like English is going away in America, it's just that Spanish is understood more and more now.

Something that does bug me to no end is text speak. I know my spelling and grammar aren't always perfect, but at least I try. When I can't understand what people are saying because they cannot bother to type out words and use punctuation, it really annoys me. I'd be more worried that kids can't type an essay properly instead of them learning two languages. U no wut im sying???
So what? Spain nor Mexico owns any part of this country anymore. Long ago English was adopted as our national language so just deal with it! If I want to learn another language it will be my choice not forced to learn Spanish. There is no reason to learn Spanish because for one it isn't our language and most Spanish speakers are bi-lingual so we already have our national language to communicate with them in. It is only due to the high influx of illegal immigrants from Mexico that this push to learn Spanish has been happening. I'll be damned if I'll learn the language of illegal invaders to placate them.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
The US has survived massive immigration before and it will again. During the mass immigration from Europe many places in this country were dual or multi language depending on the density of specific immigrant groups.

I am pleased to see non English business signs on the streets and storefronts. Around here they range from Latvian to Laotian with a lot of Spanish. These varieties make for an interesting mix.

Most of you seem to fear any change and most immigrants. I do not understand why?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:49 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Ah, the usual insults by the lefty ethnocentrics who just can't seem to accept the fact that English is our nation's de facto language and always has been.
I never said anything like that. However, we have no official language in this country. I also know that as you attacked the fact that I enjoy my right to speak whatever language I want in America - after all, we have freedom of speech here - I pointed out an error in your English. Ironic, isn't it?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
So what? Spain nor Mexico owns any part of this country anymore. Long ago English was adopted as our national language so just deal with it! If I want to learn another language it will be my choice not forced to learn Spanish. There is no reason to learn Spanish because for one it isn't our language and most Spanish speakers are bi-lingual so we already have our national language to communicate with them in. It is only due to the high influx of illegal immigrants from Mexico that this push to learn Spanish has been happening. I'll be damned if I'll learn the language of illegal invaders to placate them.
More irony......both those who spoke Spanish and those who spoke English invaded these lands illegally........

Old 09-25-2012, 07:14 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolouwho View Post
Y'all do realize that part of the southwest used to belong to Mexico and Florida used to belong to Spain, right? If I remember from my US history class, at one point Spain used to own all the land west of the Mississippi river and France used to own parts of New England. Why can't Americans learn another language? Other people around the world seem to be bilingual and are still able to have a rich heritage in their country. I wish I had learned Spanish in high school, but instead I took four years of Latin. Now I'm slowly picking up Spanish and have bought a teach yourself course to aid me.

So Quebec is in chaos? I know that French is the only official language, but it is required by law to use English in situations where monolingual people would need it. Laws in Quebec are available in both French and English, as well as the judicial system and healthcare.

I've sat in on court several times in Arizona, and I've seen many people use Spanish interpreters. A lot of people I met were bilingual and I've seen job listing after job listing requiring applicants to be bilingual. Knowing another language is a good skill to have, especially a language that is spoken by such a large population of the world. It's not like English is going away in America, it's just that Spanish is understood more and more now.

Something that does bug me to no end is text speak. I know my spelling and grammar aren't always perfect, but at least I try. When I can't understand what people are saying because they cannot bother to type out words and use punctuation, it really annoys me. I'd be more worried that kids can't type an essay properly instead of them learning two languages. U no wut im sying???
There were very few Spanish or French speaking people in what is now Arizona, Cali, Louisiana and so on. The US has been here for more than 150 years. MOST Spanish speaking people came here since WW 2.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh great, another love it or leave it post.
Excellent retort.
So original.
It's the truth. IF you lived in Mexico and demanded that Mexico cater to you in English, they'd tell you to pound sand. Sheesh!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
More irony......both those who spoke Spanish and those who spoke English invaded these lands illegally........
I'm quite sure Indians invaded each other's lands illegally too before 1492.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Well we don't demand every one to learn Russian or allow unlimited immigration from Russia just because Alaska once was under Russia, and same with French, we're not demanding everyone learn French or allow unlimited immigration from France but France once ruled over the Louisiana territory.

Mexico only ruled over a portion of the southwest for a very short time because it inherited the territory from Spain. And the Mexicans descended from the few families living in the southwest learned English a long time ago. This issue has nothing to do with them.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,044 times
Quote:
Nope, I simply choose to learn Spanish on my own free will and for my own personal reasons. For one, I am planning to travel to Latin America and two, I simply prefer to have the ability to speak, read and write two languages. Three, I'm simply looking to explore and open a new world to myself. To make myself clear, I have zero interest in catering to illegal aliens. If one wants to be in this country, they should do it the LEGAL way. On the other hand, it's not illegal to learn a foreign language either.

No one is going to force you to speak spanish or adopt a culture you have no interest in. On the flip side, those that do want to speak Spanish or have an interest in LA culture should not be castigated or viewed as the "enemy" for doing so.

Additionally, just beacuse a person has a poor command of the English language does not necessarily mean they are here illegally.

Last edited by Gil3; 09-25-2012 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies