Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:52 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You know, my home county didn't allow liquor sells for a long time. I didn't like it, but states have the right to legislate laws, as long as they are constitutional.

Cases have already been brought to court over requiring ID to buy fire arms. It is constitutional.

The Constitution only guarantees you the right to bear arms. It doesn't say what loop holes you'll have to jump through to buy those arms, or what type of arms will be available to you.

California doesn't forbid you from buying guns, it only requires a background check.

Can you show me the Constitutional amendment, or law that guarantees you the right to buy arms from a private citizen without a background check?
CA also imposes a waiting period which could and has prevented people from getting firearms when they needed them the most.

Passing a bunch of hoops to jump through to buy a firearm is not going to fly anymore than if it were applied to buying a book or newspaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 10:21 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
CA also imposes a waiting period which could and has prevented people from getting firearms when they needed them the most.

Passing a bunch of hoops to jump through to buy a firearm is not going to fly anymore than if it were applied to buying a book or newspaper.
Tell me one real situation where someone needed a gun that day, and they haven't broken a law of their own. I'd love to hear one.

Oh, and make sure its nothing like "her boyfriend was going to kill her", because you can simply go to the police for that one.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Tell me one real situation where someone needed a gun that day, and they haven't broken a law of their own. I'd love to hear one.

Oh, and make sure its nothing like "her boyfriend was going to kill her", because you can simply go to the police for that one.
The police have no duty to protect anyone. You can't rely on police protection.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
The police have no duty to protect anyone. You can't rely on police protection.
So you have no example where someone needed to buy a gun that day, where they couldn't have relied on police protection, or hadn't broken any laws themselves.

Kind of shoots your argument full of holes.

A 10 day waiting period while your background check is run, most rational, law abiding citizens have no problem with.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
So you have no example where someone needed to buy a gun that day, where they couldn't have relied on police protection, or hadn't broken any laws themselves.

Kind of shoots your argument full of holes.

A 10 day waiting period while your background check is run, most rational, law abiding citizens have no problem with.
Here's some for you:
Quote:

Unfortunately, the waiting period, far from saving lives, has cost many a person his or her life when they have been threatened by someone who either already has a gun or who can buy it illegally. Wisconsin woman Bonnie Elmasri had a restraining order against her husband, who had been, according to her, threatening her and her children. She asked a firearms instructor about getting a handgun and was told there was a 48-hour waiting period. Within 24 hours, she was dead, along with her two children. Murdered by her husband, who had no trouble at all obtaining a gun.

ON THE OTHER HAND...
-In Charlotte, North Carolina, Catherine Latta had a similar situation. She had an ex-boyfriend who had robbed and assaulted her several times, and had raped her. But when she was told she would have to wait two weeks for a permit, she didn't just accept her fate. She went out and easily bought an illegal handgun on the street, which she used that very day to shoot and kill the boyfriend when he attacked her outside her house.

-In Los Angeles, citizens who went to gun stores to arm themselves against rioters were told to come back 15 days later. Those who took that advice were attacked, injured, and killed. Those who didn't, and illegally obtained firearms ran rioters off.
There's absolutely no reason for a 10 day waiting period.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Here's some for you:

There's absolutely no reason for a 10 day waiting period.
Again,

She can call the police, and ask for protection until she can get her own firearm.

So, show me one where someone couldn't call the police, and had to get a firearm that day.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Again,

She can call the police, and ask for protection until she can get her own firearm.

So, show me one where someone couldn't call the police, and had to get a firearm that day.
I just posted examples, people who died because of this stupid gun control, and others who only lived because they broke the waiting period law.

I take it you haven't seen this: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po.../28scotus.html

Plenty of people who thought they could rely on the police for protection are lying 6 feet under...and the police have no duty to protect anyone.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:46 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I dont think its a liberal-vs- non liberal thing

I think its a non-common sense thing

the anti-gun people (and yes many are liberals) never can figure out that they are hurting the law abiding citizens, because crooks/criminals/scum dont care about the laws or restrictions on getting a gun
Exactly, its the criminals that are the ones using guns to commit crimes, if it weren't for them, we would probably not even hear about the occasional accidental shooting.

As over used as it is, the saying is true, that if you try to over regulate guns, the only ones with the guns will be the criminals, and then they will always have the advantage over the rest of us.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I just posted examples, people who died because of this stupid gun control, and others who only lived because they broke the waiting period law.

I take it you haven't seen this: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po.../28scotus.html

Plenty of people who thought they could rely on the police for protection are lying 6 feet under...and the police have no duty to protect anyone.
Did you happen to read the article?

Which judges overturned the decision? Which President appointed them?

Old 05-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Did you happen to read the article?

Which judges overturned the decision? Which President appointed them?
There's multiple cases on the same subject going back to the 1800's, they merely re-affirmed precedent.

Did you notice that person did as you suggest and asked for police protection, and it accomplished nothing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies