Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:35 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Well, the "need" to provide special treatment for black kids to help show them that they could achieve what they truly want and work for. They now have the most powerful, visible leader of our country to look up to. Obama has proven that blacks are equal to and are on an even playing field with whites. There was a time when segregating the students may have served a purpose, but I think we have moved beyond that and it only creates more rifts now.

What special need? First of all this was ignorant. Secondly, in the urban area's, teachers, mentors and others will go the extra mile to show these kids that they can achieve.
Obama is just that extra level that minority children now see as a possibility, but the chance at achievement did not start with and will not end with Obama. For the record, children living in the poorest area's of the country (notice I said children and not black children) Have a longer road and bigger challenge than those living in the suburbs or middle class portions of the country. Its up to them and their parents to see that challenge through.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:37 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
To prepare them. We all face roadblocks, its how we handle them to move foward is what they need to be prepared for. Unfortunately, not everyone have the same advantages, there are different struggles.
every single citizen has the same opportunity to be whatever they wish. Now if that person does not wish to advantage of that or to find away to do so thats on them.

There is many people that pull themselves up and out of bad situations. They dont do it by making excuses for the road being hard. They travel that road till they reach their goal. They might stumble time to time but they pick themselves up and keep pushing.

Everyone has to struggle with something and if you allow that to hold you back thats on you. That is no one or nothing to blame but you

The only thing stopping anyone from reaching their dream in this country is themselves.

Also lets me real here many are set up to fail from the start with a mind set that its someone elses place to do for them. With this sense of entitlement.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Seems to me more like we tell young black kids that they aren't good enough to make it on their own. The white man is out to get them. Or the capitailist. Or whatever other bogeyman is out there.

So a lot of blacks give up before they ever even have a chance to make it.

The biggest obstacles blacks face is the governmet (mostly democratic policies) and other blacks.

see this is where you completely veered off of a viable discussion. Who is we? I know of no black parent that would tell their children that they couldn't make it on their own. Its actually the opposit, I can't speak for every black person, but my family and friends, we prepare our children that they MUST be prepared to make it on their own, especially if god forbid they loose a parent. Now I do know some trifling parents that will not encourage their kids and push them to do.

To say the biggest obstacle for blacks is the goverment and the democrats is the continuous rhetoric that will continue to be ignored as BS. Blacks do not corner the market on being poor or being dependent on the government which by the way includes both REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC policies.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
every single citizen has the same opportunity to be whatever they wish.
You've got to be joking!

Ah, I see you were just momentarily confused:

Quote:
There is many people that pull themselves up and out of bad situations.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:43 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times
Quote:
What special need? First of all this was ignorant. Secondly, in the urban area's, teachers, mentors and others will go the extra mile to show these kids that they can achieve.
Obama is just that extra level that minority children now see as a possibility, but the chance at achievement did not start with and will not end with Obama. For the record, children living in the poorest area's of the country (notice I said children and not black children) Have a longer road and bigger challenge than those living in the suburbs or middle class portions of the country. Its up to them and their parents to see that challenge through.
I believe we are in agreement.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
every single citizen has the same opportunity to be whatever they wish. Now if that person does not wish to advantage of that or to find away to do so thats on them.

There is many people that pull themselves up and out of bad situations. They dont do it by making excuses for the road being hard. They travel that road till they reach their goal. They might stumble time to time but they pick themselves up and keep pushing.

Everyone has to struggle with something and if you allow that to hold you back thats on you. That is no one or nothing to blame but you

The only thing stopping anyone from reaching their dream in this country is themselves.

Also lets me real here many are set up to fail from the start with a mind set that its someone elses place to do for them. With this sense of entitlement.
NO not everyone have the same advantages, to believe otherwise your fooling yourself. Not every high school graduate has the ability to attend college.
A person who grew up in a trailer park or project, can't just up and move to the suburb. No where in my previous post did I make any excuses for anyone, i'm the first on these boards to talk about personal responsibility. In in case you also didn't notice in my previous post, I also stated "we all face roadblocks, its how we handle them".
If a person decides to just give up and not try to make themselves better, thats on them, they have no one else to blame.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:57 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Tell that to the children who used to use the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship program to go to a nice school, until 0bama decided to kill it.

FOXNews.com - Obama's Outrageous Sin Against Our Kids (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/04/20/obamas-outrageous-sin-kids/ - broken link)

Old 05-06-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Tell that to the children who used to use the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship program to go to a nice school, until 0bama decided to kill it.

FOXNews.com - Obama's Outrageous Sin Against Our Kids (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/04/20/obamas-outrageous-sin-kids/ - broken link)

No problem. There are thousands of children all of the country who will not have that same opportunity. I've said it before and I will say it again. How about using that voucher money to fix the system thats already broken. Those left behind in the DC school system should continue with sub-par education while others are lucky enough to have the voucher to attend schools in the better district. I don't get it, you guys claim blacks depend on the government and democrat policies, but then throw a fit, when an unfair policy is squashed by the same democratic government.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Somehow I think if that trip were arranged for white students to hear a white scientist there would be a different reaction.

Yes, I believe it was racial preference and should not have been done by the school.
The students should have been picked via grades...if you want to up the science/math scores, then pick the ones with low grades and send them to hear the scientist and maybe inspire them.
That would have been a more impartial and non-racial approach.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:13 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
see this is where you completely veered off of a viable discussion. Who is we? I know of no black parent that would tell their children that they couldn't make it on their own. Its actually the opposit, I can't speak for every black person, but my family and friends, we prepare our children that they MUST be prepared to make it on their own, especially if god forbid they loose a parent. Now I do know some trifling parents that will not encourage their kids and push them to do.

To say the biggest obstacle for blacks is the goverment and the democrats is the continuous rhetoric that will continue to be ignored as BS. Blacks do not corner the market on being poor or being dependent on the government which by the way includes both REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC policies.
I used the 'we' as us. Everyone in the U.S. Black, white whatever.

The biggest obstacle for blacks is ig government. Big government is pushed by democrats. Therefore democrats are a huge problem for blacks. I would say the republicans havn't done as bad a job.

Blacks are disproportionaly poor. I know there are plenty of poor whites as well. I was one for a time.

Here's a link by Walter Williams. Just happened to read it today. He's basically saying a lot of what I have always thought. He explains it beeter than me though.

Black Americans and Liberty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies