Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrr View Post
I can't even think of one invention from a Black-African from Africa, can anyone?

Nigerian born Dr. Philip Emeagwali first entered the limelight in 1989 when he won the prestigious Gordon Bell Prize for his work with massively parallel computers. He programmed the Connection Machine to compute a world record 3.1 billion calculations per second using 65,536 processors to simulate oil reservoirs. With over 41 inventions submitted to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office,

Anything else I can do for you?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:01 PM

94 posts, read 69,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Not every high school graduate has the ability to attend college.
Not every high school graduate SHOULD attend college.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:04 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Throughout history, African Americans have invented some important and fun devices. Read about ten examples of men and women and see what they invented.Think about what kind of obstacles they may have faced, personally and professionally.

Adapted from Scholastic Action magazine, Feb 21, 2000.

The Top Ten African-American Inventors | Scholastic.com

African American Inventors and Scientists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_scientists

Old 05-06-2010, 06:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If this is a MESA (Math, Engineering and Science Achievement) Program it's specifically set up for minority students. At some schools all students are welcomed to participate (which is how my blonde haired, blue eyed oldest son got involved) in others non-minority students are ..........discouraged. It depends on the local system and the coordinator. Seven years lster at my son's high school the new school based coach has ..........discouraged non-minority participation. Oldest son now judges the MD state competition held at Johns Hopkins every year.
In our school all programs are open to each and every student but in reality only certain races seem to gravitate to certain programs. Things like the Science Club and Chess Club are almost all white students while the BSA (Black Students Association) is almost all blacks even though any white student may join it.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
FOXNews.com - Michigan Elementary School Principal Investigated for Blacks-Only Class Trip

Wow. So many things are so wrong with this it's difficult to know where to begin.

I guess for all he knows he may have killed the aspirations of the kids left behind that day to be the first astronaut or scientist standing on the Planet Mars...
The Principal would be fired for poor judgment if I was the boss.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:16 PM

The only way to make this right would be to have a field trip for all white and other races that were excluded from this one to go hear a distinguished white scientist speak to give the white students inspiration to be scientist and teachers.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:19 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times
^ Yup we need more Whites only trips so that White Children can hear White scientists speak about the contributions of the White race to society. Man I sound like a Nazi. Turn White to Black and it'll be okay. I'll be called a Democrat.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
^ Yup we need more Whites only trips so that White Children can hear White scientists speak about the contributions of the White race to society. Man I sound like a Nazi. Turn White to Black and it'll be okay. I'll be called a Democrat.
I don't think that most Democrats agree with that. I don't. But I am not really a Democrat either. I am a liberal.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:22 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
In our school all programs are open to each and every student but in reality only certain races seem to gravitate to certain programs. Things like the Science Club and Chess Club are almost all white students while the BSA (Black Students Association) is almost all blacks even though any white student may join it.
Do you have WSA?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:22 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
FOXNews.com - Michigan Elementary School Principal Investigated for Blacks-Only Class Trip

Wow. So many things are so wrong with this it's difficult to know where to begin.

I guess for all he knows he may have killed the aspirations of the kids left behind that day to be the first astronaut or scientist standing on the Planet Mars...
Does this principal even have a clue that MLK fought for equality and an end to segregation???? Now this prinicpal is segregating and discriminating? Truely amazing. He should be fired for using public dollars to segregate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies