Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:33 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
This is a nonstory. Some red meat for tea baggers who are too lazy to read past the headline. The administrator said the principal of the school handled it badly and they shouldn't of been sent home.

I'm sorry, but I'm confused. We are all outraged that it happened at all, not that the superintendent is pandering to the media about the poor decision of the principal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:51 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,836 times
Quote:
This is a nonstory. Some red meat for tea baggers who are too lazy to read past the headline. The administrator said the principal of the school handled it badly and they shouldn't of been sent home.
so, you're ok that it happened? i mean if you're not then you're right there on the tea bagger side. so which side are you on?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
California High School Students in US T-Shirts Sent Home on Cinco de Mayo - AOL News

Must be the principal for got what country he lives in.

Five sophomores had the choice of going home, turning their t-shirts inside out or being suspended because the shirts had the American flag on them.

This is in California, folks. The principal said he thought it was insensitive of them to wear the shirts on cinco de mayo so gave the boys the ultimatum.

How far is this going to go before we do something to stop it?
His mistake is that he did not see it as disrespectful, or a violation of civil rights, to the students he made these demands to.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:04 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Great debates forum is not a place for rudeness.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:30 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Great debates forum is not a place for rudeness.

that depends on who you are, hang out in great debates a while and you'll notice who gets away with it and who doesnt...

Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
so, you're ok that it happened? i mean if you're not then you're right there on the tea bagger side. so which side are you on?
Why are there only two options ("ok it happened" and "tea bagger")? I am not "okay" that it happened. I think it was a dumb decision. People occasionally do dumb things. I hate to see random foolishness sensationalized like it means anything other than some person somewhere made a dumb decision.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:29 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I think the students should have been allowed to wear the shirts, but then I'm a strong opponent of most school dress codes, anyway. And I do think that the kids in question were likely it for the wrong reasons, not because they just happen to be "patriotic." (and that line about how they thought it would be disrespectful to wear the shirts inside out is ridiculous; they didn't have a problem with wearing a flag printed on their shirt, after all, which many people find to be against flag etiquette). Kids (and adults!) need to learn how to deal with those who might not agree with them, or in this case might just be flat-out rude or insensitive. I'd at least have given them the opportunity to wear the shirts and then address it if it did prove to be a disruption to the day. (and I'm about as far from the tea party as one can get).

I also think that, assuming that these kids were doing this as a political statement, to give in and acknowledge it as such gives it far more currency than just letting them wear the shirts ever would. Why can't people celebrate Cinco de Mayo in the United States while wearing American flags? Especially in California of all places it seems reasonable to expect that kids can appreciate both Mexican and American history. And given that the two are pretty closely connected, it might be a good opportunity for a little history lesson, too, for what the day actually commemorates. And for all the people who celebrate it mostly to honor Mexican heritage, well, you can be Mexican and American at the same time, or have no Mexican heritage of your own but still appreciate that it has a place in American society, too.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Chalk it up as a foolish decision made by human beings. People make mistakes. I think everyone else is appalled at what happened, so I don't think it's some sign of the times. A school administrator did a dumb thing, that's all.
I suppose the administrator didn't think about all the tension and demonstration going on in Arizona at this time? If not, then maybe he shouldn't be responsible for the students at that school. To chalk it up as a dumb thing, is treating lightly what is going on in the U.S.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
I suppose the administrator didn't think about all the tension and demonstration going on in Arizona at this time? If not, then maybe he shouldn't be responsible for the students at that school. To chalk it up as a dumb thing, is treating lightly what is going on in the U.S.
I suspect we have different opinions about whether light treatment or heavy emphasis is better to ease a tense situation.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:35 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,623 times
Maybe the administrator could have used this situation to teach the Mexican children how Cinco De Mayo is recognized (commercialized) much more here in the US than Mexico??

I guess I should be all upset that everyone in the US didn't recognize Patriot's Day back on April 19th, even though only Massachusetts officially celebrates it (and Maine up to a few years ago)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies