Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 AM

979 posts, read 4,455,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
My thoughts exactly. I'm positive they did it on purpose to **** people off, and clearly they succeeded. These kids will become even bigger jerks as adults.
Well coastalgirl, that begs the bigger question. How provocative is it to simply wear t shirts to express an opinion? They were hardly saying "down with Cinco de Mayo" were they? No doubt these kids were simply reacting to what they felt was too much emphasis on a foreign holiday and I suspect the same school hardly gives lip service to the 4th of July for fear of offending the Mexican students. Nothing happens in a vacuum. As of today the principal of the school has publicly apologized for sending the kids home, as he should.

Quote:
hmmm... luckily for that district Martin Luther King day is a state holiday so they don't have to deal with those same kids wearing confederate flags to school.
smokingGun, That's an absurd conclusion, meant only to fan what little flame this story actually is. The craven desire to marginalize any questioning of minorities political, moral or personal postions as racist is not only simple minded but intellectually dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 01:29 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Well coastalgirl, that begs the bigger question. How provocative is it to simply wear t shirts to express an opinion? They were hardly saying "down with Cinco de Mayo" were they? No doubt these kids were simply reacting to what they felt was too much emphasis on a foreign holiday and I suspect the same school hardly gives lip service to the 4th of July for fear of offending the Mexican students. Nothing happens in a vacuum. As of today the principal of the school has publicly apologized for sending the kids home, as he should.

But it's not a foreign holiday.

It's a fake holiday promoted by beer companies in the U.S.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:04 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
But it's not a foreign holiday.

It's a fake holiday promoted by beer companies in the U.S.
exactly. I'd also like to add that there is no school on July 4th. Moot point.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I enjoy international cities, I love traveling and most of my relationships are inter-racial, but most of these minority double standards just make me sick. Minorities preach about how they are treated so poorly, but look how they are with White Americans, they are allowed to say whatever they want and call us whatever they want, but as soon as we do the smallest thing in retaliation it is a huge racial incident and white people are the most horrible people of the world.

Although I don't agree 100% with Arizona, at least they are doing SOMETHING to correct the BS with illegal immigration.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:07 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
What is this world becoming?

Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I enjoy international cities, I love traveling and most of my relationships are inter-racial, but most of these minority double standards just make me sick. Minorities preach about how they are treated so poorly, but look how they are with White Americans, they are allowed to say whatever they want and call us whatever they want, but as soon as we do the smallest thing in retaliation it is a huge racial incident and white people are the most horrible people of the world.

Although I don't agree 100% with Arizona, at least they are doing SOMETHING to correct the BS with illegal immigration.
Amen to this.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:08 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Quote:
exactly. I'd also like to add that there is no school on July 4th. Moot point.
The point is that it's annoying seeing ignorant comments saying "celebrate your holiday in you country" When it isn't even our holiday

Old 05-09-2010, 07:50 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I'm positive they did it on purpose to **** people off, and clearly they succeeded. These kids will become even bigger jerks as adults.
Bigger jerks because they have more common sense than the administration? AND the anchor babies that were offended? They may have been wearing the shirts out of spite, in fact I would bet my next paycheck on it, so what? That's freedom of speech. Most school districts have policies about wearing flags, no matter what, but it's a poor reflection on this country when they can run students out of school for wearing the American flag.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:08 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Chalk it up as a foolish decision made by human beings. People make mistakes. I think everyone else is appalled at what happened, so I don't think it's some sign of the times. A school administrator did a dumb thing, that's all.
You really believe that? Then why do "mistakes" like this never happen in favor of supporting those showing their patriotism for the US?

Old 05-09-2010, 08:30 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
When wearing the national flag of a nation within that nation by citizens of that nation is considered inciting hate, violence, or rebellion, there is something dreadfully wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies