Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:50 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I'm going off topic, but this reminds me of the time I waited in line overnight at Circuit City when the Sony PS2 was released. There were about 20 people, most were highschool to collegish aged, but there were a couple of women in line that were moms of teens. I overheard them talking to each other and one of them said to the other, "we're such a good moms!" for doing this (Or something to that effect - I believe it released on a schoolday). This was before I had kids of my own, but even back then it struck me as odd. The more time that's passed, especially now that I'm a parent myself, it seems to underscore more and more emphatically the perversion of the idea of good parenting that has occurred - and this was 10 years ago. Anyhoo ... carry on.

(by the way I didn't get my PS2 that day - they ran out It took me another 2 months to finally get one. The 'good moms' did get theirs though, so that was a good thing - wouldn't want to have them turn into 'bad moms' before my very eyes! <shudder>)
Sorry, I don't get your point. Are you making fun of the women who thought they were good moms because they were buying the PS2 for their kids to drain their brains with or just the fact that these moms were so braggingly proud of themselves - the whole mom competition thing or what???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 02:53 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Yet in my 10 y.o.'s class, they are read to, and encouraged to read, and assigned to read books that contain words such as "cr*p," "da*n," "basta*d," and more! And most people don't have the option of "turning off" school! (Fortunately, we do, as we are moving!)

You hear all those and more on Two and a half Men. I know several parents that don't let their kids watch it.

Doesn't bother me, but no young kids in the house.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:59 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Sorry, I don't get your point. Are you making fun of the women who thought they were good moms because they were buying the PS2 for their kids to drain their brains with or just the fact that these moms were so braggingly proud of themselves - the whole mom competition thing or what???
Told you it was off topic. Without even piling on the meat of this thread ... I guess both and more, or generally that kids are just screwed these days when you consider that there are so many flat out bad parents, and then there are so many others that have a jacked-up view of what qualities make a good parent ... it's just all twisted to me ... so many kids just don't have a chance sometimes (or a lot of times) Heh heh ... nevermind

Last edited by tyanger; 05-07-2010 at 03:08 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 10:07 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Talking 7 words you can't say on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Smoking can cause cancer, saying the word $hit doesn't.

Here's an example, lets say your neighbor is a good guy or chick and they fall off their roof, on the way down they scream "OHHHH $hit" instead of "OHHHH golly gee" is that wrong. Should they be condemned for that?
Do you walk over and say "I wouldn't have my hands in $hit or your mouth" By the way, a "beefstew" is pooping in someones mouth. Don't try to take beefstew either its the name of my new political party to combat the Tea Party. Back to the topic at hand, I wouldn't beefstew my neighbor no matter what curse word he or she said. I'd call 911 and offer any help I could, unless he or she was a jerk then I might check for a wallet before I called 911. Either way, I don't judge anyone by the curse words they may use.
That's good. Here's a blast from my past and your thread caused me to think of him and this:

YouTube - The Seven Words

Not rated PG...

When I was a kid, my brother (older than I) he had this album of Carlin. I still have the album and because I thought this guy to be the funniest, I introduced my kids (now grown) to him. They didn't think him to be all that funny...Point being...we all see things through different eyes. Just because I think something, doesn't mean every one else will think the same, nor does it mean that every one else will think differently.

Also, just because some one else holds a different opinion than I, does not mean I will take their opinion as a personal stab at me. As I always say--- "to each his own."

Old 05-08-2010, 10:19 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
That's good. Here's a blast from my past and your thread caused me to think of him and this:

YouTube - The Seven Words

Not rated PG...

When I was a kid, my brother (older than I) he had this album of Carlin. I still have the album and because I thought this guy to be the funniest, I introduced my kids (now grown) to him. They didn't think him to be all that funny...Point being...we all see things through different eyes. Just because I think something, doesn't mean every one else will think the same, nor does it mean that every one else will think differently.

Also, just because some one else holds a different opinion than I, does not mean I will take their opinion as a personal stab at me. As I always say--- "to each his own."
But others have said if you use profane language, you're an idiot.

Guess Carlin and Mark Twain were both idiots.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:37 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Guess Carlin and Mark Twain were both idiots.
I happen to like both Carlin and Twain...
Quote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
Mark Twain
I gave to this thread quotes from a previous generation...

I also quoted myself, "to each his own."

If you keep going Memphis, you're going to strain something.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 05-08-2010 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: added twain

Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I happen to like both Carlin and Twain...

I gave to this thread quotes from a previous generation...

I also quoted myself, "to each his own."

If you keep going Memphis, you're going to strain something.
I like Twain and Carlin too,

George Carlin is probably my favorite comedian of all time.

It just blows my mind that people think they are idiots because they used foul language.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:57 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times
Quote:
Since the Soprano's was on HBO the word pu$$y has been used on radio and regular tv, same for a$$hole and d!ck. I don't use curse words in front of my kids except for $h!t. Isn't $h!t less offensive than those other words?
Personally think all 3 should not be on regular television (non premium cable). Same goes for the term "douche bag". I almost fell out of my chair the first time I heard that on regular TV.

I am always surprised by the push back from people in favor of foul language on television. "They are just words", blah...blah. I had a post about "sons of Anarchy" on the TV thread to this nature and the majority of responses were in FAVOR of the swearing. It really surprised me.

I do not mean to go overboard... but this sort of thing is just the further decline of decency and civility in US culture. We are all being dumbed down and debased.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times
Quote:
Intelligence has nothing to do with it..... it is just a matter of decency. George Carlin on HBO or something like that is fine. He is hysterical. But, his language should be contained to a medium where persons can easily avoid it if they so choose. flipping through the channels and hearing "d!ck or p*ssy" is just unacceptable.

NYC has cable access which includes p0rn. channel 36....whoa! That one shocks every one the first time they stroll through!!

Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Personally I think the term "douche bag" is funny, and not even in the same ballpark as d!ck or pu$$y. I guess its possible to be offended by any word as actonbel said "to each his own". My $hit word can be used many ways like bull$hit or horse$hit, the latter being used perfectly in the movie Big Daddy, when Adam Sandler's character goes to McDonalds for breakfast only to find out they just stopped serving breakfast. On regular tv that whole part is ruined because horse$hit can't be used. If people on regular tv can say pu$$y I think they can say $hit. I think I'm going to petition the FCC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies