Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:57 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,179,026 times

Advertisements

What, I can't be conservative without hating Obama or thinking the sky is falling? sheesh..
I don't agree with Mr. Obama on many key issues, but I do recognize that his speech-writers are excellent and that he does have the oratory skill to deliver those speeches... I must disagree, however, that he saved us from spiraling down further into a recession or that he had ANY direct involvement in making our economy recover.

All he did was spend a few hundred billion dollars we (really, really) didn't have by giving it to people. I don't think that's a bad thing, but I doubt that one 800-dollar check (or 1200 or whatever it was for couples) was enough to singlehandedly stimulate the economy. Outside factors probably did much more for our economy than that particular act did..

And I never, ever claimed the sky was falling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 03:02 AM

24,492 posts, read 33,228,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
The Patriot Act clearly stripped freedoms. And the sad thing is it wasn't necessary. They could have stopped the 9/11 hijackers under already existing laws.

Though I think it is a little strange that the left has gone silent, and now even supports the Patriot Act. <akes me think that Republicans will be supporting ObamaCastro Care within 2 years.
What freedoms were stripped?

Old 05-08-2010, 06:51 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,829,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
We shoud not avoid issues that are ugly. That's why it was wrong for Republicans to try to block healthcare. It is wrong for the Republicans to try and block even having a conversation about financial reform, pre-blocking immigration reform, refusing to even discuss climate control, threatning to block the new Supreme Court Nominee before the person has been nominated. Those are REAL issues that are occuring not your crystal ball reading fear mongering.You guys were quiet as church mice as Bush doubled the deficit, expanded government (DHS), passed the bank bailouts, started an illegitimate war, and stripped your freedoms via the patriot act more than any President in history BUT you're crying about what will happen when we stop paying unemployment(that republicans tried to block). Your fear mongering is little more the Obama hate.
All that and you didnt answer about the statements Obama made are they using fear or not.

As far as the healthcare bill have you been paying attention to reports are now saying the bill will actually increase our medical cost not. Companys like AT& T and Verizon are talking about canceling offering insurance for their employees because paying the fine would be cheaper. So lets not sit here and pretend this is a great improvement over what we have.

Is Obama not bailing anyone out?
Obama hasnt increased the national debt?
Obama renewed the patriot act

1 Republican tried to make them pay for passing the unemployment. Remember how democrats said they wouldnt spend anything they couldnt pay for. A republican was simply trying to help them keep that promise and law.

So like I said all the things you all complained about while Bush was president you now make excuses for since Obama is president

-National debt (Is acceptable now even if its higher)
-Gitmo ( is still open)
-Wars ( increased since Obamas been in office)
-Patriot Act has been renewed by Obama
-Warrant less Wiretaps ( Obama has done is more then Bush did)

Its amazing what a letter by ones name can do for if someone supports a policy or not

Old 05-08-2010, 06:56 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,764,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
I seriously want to ask all the Doom and Gloom folks (Republicans/Conservatives/TEA-Baggers) that were screaming last year (especially during the 2008 election and Obama's first 100 days) that Obama would cause the end of America!
Armageddon! Get out now! Obama will ruin America! The Depression is coming! The sky will fall! America will fail!

Ok? Why hasn't America failed under Obama as all you fear-mongers claimed would happen?
I don't care how much hate you have for Obama or how you try to spin things. America in May 2010 is in a helluva better position than it was in the End of 2007.
Admit it Fear-mongers! You all called for the end of the world if Obama was elected. America is still standing and getting better and better.
What the heck happened guys?

Now I'm not a liberal by a long shot nor have I completely agreed with everything Obama has done. But I do recognize that his leadership has done wonders for the country (something you all continue to ignore)

Obama's administration saved the country from an inevitable economic collapse!
Do you all even remember how bad things were in 2007???? We were in a RECESSION that was getting worse and WORSE. Everyone said America would undoubtedly enter into a DEPRESSION worse than the 1930s!
What happened? The recession was OVER in Obama's 1st year! America's economy (GDP) has grown every quarter since!
The Stock Market has recovered and hovering near 11,000 (after being in a free fall before Obama)

What about jobs? Yes unemployment is still high, but no intelligent reasonable individual would blame Obama for the surge of job losses (caused by 2007 recession and its aftermath). When Bush left office over half a MILLION jobs were being lost every single month. Now under Obama, America is actually GAINING jobs every month.
Where do you think Unemployment would be if Bush was still in office? Thats a rhetorical question because we all know it would be a whole lot worse.

There are so many areas I could point that has indicated that not only has Obama saved America from near collapse. He has managed to steer America into the Right direction.

Which is the exact opposite of what you Tea baggers said Obama would do!
Lets not get too much into canned tea bagging talking points (the deficit *hey you didn't care under BUSH why do you care NOW?*, heathcare, Banks and car company takeovers, etc...)

I am merely pointing out that you Tea Party (Conservative, Repubs) all cried about how the HOUSE would crumble and be destroyed under Obama.

Ignoring talking points when you all look up and STILL see the HOUSE (America) STANDING, improving, and getting better and better....

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DESTRUCTION OF AMERICA????
That's a long rant to do nothing more than insult those who see things differently than you. Try again, thanks for playing!

Old 05-08-2010, 07:04 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,681,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
How are we in a better position then we were? How are we getting better? Higher unemployment announced today.We are back to 9.9%

Never said Armageddon was coming.

Just wait till next year when your work to pay credit ends this year and you have less money in your pocket and we get to start paying for the 670 Billion in new taxes

But what exactly has gotten so much better?

What exactly has changed from Bush being president and Obama being president? Besides we will be working more to have less.
You're clinging to this higher unemployment figure as a last straw, but are you aware of why that figure went up?

It went up because more people started looking for jobs who had given up looking. Now, that might be an absurd way to measure unemployment, but it's how it's been done for many years.

So, the unemployment rate going up for a little bit is actually another sign the economy's improving.

And, any, what economy are you looking at to claim we're no better than we were when Obama took over in 2009? From CNN, yet again:

Old 05-08-2010, 07:08 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,681,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
What, I can't be conservative without hating Obama or thinking the sky is falling? sheesh..
I don't agree with Mr. Obama on many key issues, but I do recognize that his speech-writers are excellent and that he does have the oratory skill to deliver those speeches... I must disagree, however, that he saved us from spiraling down further into a recession or that he had ANY direct involvement in making our economy recover.

All he did was spend a few hundred billion dollars we (really, really) didn't have by giving it to people. I don't think that's a bad thing, but I doubt that one 800-dollar check (or 1200 or whatever it was for couples) was enough to singlehandedly stimulate the economy. Outside factors probably did much more for our economy than that particular act did..

And I never, ever claimed the sky was falling
I didn't realize for a while that Obama usually writes the first drafts of his speeches, then sends them to his writers to clean up.

It's hard to argue that his deficit spending to pull us back from falling into depression didn't help. Economists agree that the stimulus added about 2 million on its way to 3.5 million jobs at a time when they were desperately needed.

The economy's also recovering far faster than any economists had predicted in early 2009. A lot of conservatives are going to start jumping on the "it would have recovered anyway" bandwagon, but that is not what they were saying for the past year and a half.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:17 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,125,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You're clinging to this higher unemployment figure as a last straw, but are you aware of why that figure went up?

It went up because more people started looking for jobs who had given up looking. Now, that might be an absurd way to measure unemployment, but it's how it's been done for many years.

So, the unemployment rate going up for a little bit is actually another sign the economy's improving.

And, any, what economy are you looking at to claim we're no better than we were when Obama took over in 2009? From CNN, yet again:
The unemployment rate went up because unemployment benefits were extended to three years . People say the are looking for work so they can get more free money .
Don't be a dem parrot .

Old 05-08-2010, 07:21 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,125,916 times
Quote:
I didn't realize for a while that Obama usually writes the first drafts of his speeches, then sends them to his writers to clean up.

It's hard to argue that his deficit spending to pull us back from falling into depression didn't help. Economists agree that the stimulus added about 2 million on its way to 3.5 million jobs at a time when they were desperately needed.

The economy's also recovering far faster than any economists had predicted in early 2009. A lot of conservatives are going to start jumping on the "it would have recovered anyway" bandwagon, but that is not what they were saying for the past year and a half.
What a sucker

Old 05-08-2010, 07:28 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,829,756 times
Quote:

A little bit?

I am talking over all we are no better. How do you think we are better?

Is having higher debt as a nation better? Is having such high unemployment for so long better? Is going to have to pay higher taxes better for us as a person. Is having higher medical cost due to this health care bill going to help us? Is companys canceling insurance going to make us better?

I think having to work more to have less doesnt make us better

You all talk about things are so much better what exactly is better

Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
The Patriot Act clearly stripped freedoms. And the sad thing is it wasn't necessary. They could have stopped the 9/11 hijackers under already existing laws.

Though I think it is a little strange that the left has gone silent, and now even supports the Patriot Act. <akes me think that Republicans will be supporting ObamaCastro Care within 2 years.
There were NO freedoms of the american citizens stripped. Do you want to list some you proclaim were stripped?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies