Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post
Even pre-op, you should use someone preferred pronoun.

I've always disliked all the emphasis on surgery. I know Chaz talked about it, but everyone's assuming he has a penis now. He might not. But it doesn't matter.

There is no one surgery for either gender. Some people have several, some people have none.
Good point, I should have chosen my words more carefully. Identity, brain chemistry, and physical self need not be the same things.

BTW, you are a kinder person than I am in trying to explain what transgendered folks often experience to those who are quick to judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM

315 posts, read 366,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
It's a pretty reliable indicator of gender.
For you the appropriate pronoun is "he." For me the appropriate pronoun is still "she."
Sex and gender are different things. Sex is physical, it's all about genitals and hormones and chromosomes and what have you.

Gender isn't. Gender is where you identify.

And it's still pretty damn rude to continuously misgender someone.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Good point, I should have chosen my words more carefully. Identity, brain chemistry, and physical self need not be the same things.

BTW, you are a kinder person than I am in trying to explain what transgendered folks often experience to those who are quick to judge.
I co-chaired a local organization for a while, and got all kinds of crazy questions. This isn't anything new (unforunately!).

Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
And 'she' is the wrong pronoun to use.

And you're right, life have no guarantees, and when it's over, it's over.

Which is why it's important to live this life the way you want to. I'm hoping for a long and happy life full of new and awesome experiences, but if I die tomorrow, at least I got to live as myself for a while.
I understand your point. My point being as the song says "you don't always get what you want."

Old 05-13-2011, 12:12 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Welllll, according to access holywood, chaz is talking about it. In point of fact she has made a brand new documentary to share all those little details, I'm guessing you, are interested in.
source
And you are guessing I am interested ... WHY?

I am here talking about your reaction and people like you.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:14 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
I had a professor who transitioned from a man to a woman and I was completely put off at first but I came to realize that being stuck in the wrong gender has got to be the worst feeling in the world. I went through hell coming out and its nothing compared to gender reassignment. I think we all need to understand that most transgendered people are not like Chaz and dont do it because they want to or cause they have alot of money, it really is their only solution.

And it has nothing to do with your sexaulity, the professor Im talking about is still married to his wife (I know it sounds crazy)!

BTW, this whole Y chromosone thing is really not understood. The Y chromosone that all men carry actually comes from a single male in Africa about 70,000 years ago, he's called "Scientific Adam" by scientists. Before Scientific Adam, all men had XX just like women or som other variation. The XY is a genetic marker for human males but it does not create a male, per se.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I understand your point. My point being as the song says "you don't always get what you want."
Actually it's can't, not don't.

And I did, so...I don't know if I see your point. I'm a guy, everyone knows me as a guy, everyone uses my guy name and male pronouns, my driver's license says M...it's pretty great, actually.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
BTW, this whole Y chromosone thing is really not understood. The Y chromosone that all men carry actually comes from a single male in Africa about 70,000 years ago, he's called "Scientific Adam" by scientists. Before Scientific Adam, all men had XX just like women or som other variation. The XY is a genetic marker for human males but it does not create a male, per se.
Not to metion you can have people who are XY with something like Androgen insensitivity syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-13-2011, 12:16 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Sex and gender are different things. Sex is physical, it's all about genitals and hormones and chromosomes and what have you.

Gender isn't. Gender is where you identify.

And it's still pretty damn rude to continuously misgender someone.
I'm rude because I don't agree with you?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:18 PM

If someone says "Hey, I'm identifying as male now, can you please use male pronouns?" and your response is anything short of "I'll do my best", that's rude.

You can disagree but still be polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies