Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:01 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,405,519 times

Advertisements

Why the Media Ignored the Nashville Flood - The Gaggle Blog - Newsweek.com
I don't buy the Newsweek excuse. Compared to the coverage of New Orleans flooding, the news media virtually ignorred Nashville.
  1. New Orleans is strongly Democratic party while Nashville is Republican
  2. New Orleans is majority black people while Nashville is majority white people (at least, that's the perception)
And the above two things listed are why I think they ignored Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 03:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,921,854 times
What newspaper, or website do you go to?

I've been trying to track the oil spill and Nashville just blew it off the page!

http://news.google.com/news/search?a...&hl=en&q=flood

Old 05-07-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What newspaper, or website do you go to?

I've been trying to track the oil spill and Nashville just blew it off the page!

flood - Google News
Sir or Lady, the title of the post is the title of NEWSWEEK'S VERY OWN ARTICLE. Don't like the title of the post, take it up with Newsweek.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:10 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,154,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I don't buy the Newsweek excuse. Compared to the coverage of New Orleans flooding, the news media virtually ignorred Nashville.
  2. New Orleans is majority black people while Nashville is majority white people (at least, that's the perception)
You obviously haven't tuned in to CNN...

Old 05-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
You obviously haven't tuned in to CNN...
Had you bothered to click on the Newsweek link you would have seen that the title of the topic is the title of Newsweek's article. The writer of the article and Newsweek realized the lack of coverge compared to the coverage of the New Orleans flood.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,921,854 times
Quote:
Sir or Lady, the title of the post is the title of NEWSWEEK'S VERY OWN ARTICLE. Don't like the title of the post, take it up with Newsweek.
Dave, you need to accept responsibility for the stories that you use to base a thread on. While this may be Newsweeks, take on the story, you are the one that posted it.

Call it an old habit, but before I link to a story or use it for the basis of the thread, I check it with another source because I am the one relying on the story to make a point. I guess old newspaper habits die hard but I but I hate having to write retractions like you are trying to get out of writing now.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:17 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,969,813 times
Besides the fact that it was mostly white people affected by the flood (media: "how boring") but they didn't riot, loot, kill or rape anybody, or act like third world barbarians screaming for help. Hence, this flood was a non-story.

However, Anderson Cooper/CNN finally covered the flood in the past two days. If they had only covered it when the story first broke then they could have devoted last night's coverage to the UK elections. Bad timing on CNN's part.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 PM

813 posts, read 2,024,235 times
Quote:
FYI, Nashville has been a blue city surrounded by a sea of red for about a century. It's a socially conservative city compared to the cities in the Northeast and West but, politically, it's a moderate Democrat stronghold. However, the surrounding counties are staunchly conservative.

And please quit "politicizing" our tragedy with nonsense. The lack of coverage has nothing to do with race or political ideology. We were just unfortunate enough to have two other intriguing events occur at the same time our city was flooding.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,518,916 times
Floods happen all the time but I am amazed how the OP tries to make this a political or racial issue.
Nashville was not ignored but these news stories usually take time to develop. How many of you remember the horrible flooding we had here in Florida?
The priority in the media tends to be sensationalistic so obviously we had that guy in NYC and terrorism plus the Gulf oil spill.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,169,407 times
There was a big flood a year or two ago in one of the midwest states..Iowa maybe and that got little press too. For the same reasons the OP mentions I'll wager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies