Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 26,634 times

Advertisements

It's a great movie and the thing that really provoked curiosity was Clint Eastwoods characters 2 kids.

They were so young, probably not even 7 years old and yet they were left alone for weeks and told to kill a few chickens if they needed to.

Now the question I want to ask people who are probably much more knowledgeable about this, but it seems like back in those days children were expected and capable of doing much more than todays modern kids?

I know its just a movie, but when I think about it, humanity had to be more rugged to survive, even the children, so losing those kind of characteristics in kids seem like regression?

I guess I just like the idea of the fortitude that the old days instilled into people and I wish it could be integrated into modern society some how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 12:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Well yes. We don't live hand to mouth off the land anymore. While we could teach our kids to kill chickens, it probably won't come in handy at any time. Today's world requires a whole new set of skills.

Plus today he would be arrested for child abuse.

It's been a long time since I've seen that movie. Did you like it? Maybe I'll watch it again.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:52 PM

264 posts, read 457,322 times
Barring the fact that Unforgiven is merely a movie as you well stated...

I would agree with the fact that American society as a whole has been caponized and emasculated.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejcalis View Post
I

Now the question I want to ask people who are probably much more knowledgeable about this, but it seems like back in those days children were expected and capable of doing much more than todays modern kids?
Well, that is certainly true, hell even as late as early 20th Century we expected children to work in coal mines when they were 10! Of course in certain African Countries (I think a lot of my fellow gun owners will like this) you can have your own AK47 when you are 12, as long as you kill your parents before being carted off to the rebel army camp).

Seriously, yes we could and should expect more from our kids these days and yes they are quite capable of doing many things at a very young age. I would go even as far to say that we (as a father of an 18 year old I am as guilty as the next parent) should be doing more to make our kids self sufficient and skilled in other worldly endeavors than iPods and test messaging, but harkening to the days of yesteryear is a bit much, don't you think?

Old 05-08-2010, 01:13 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
The expected/average lifespan was significantly lower back then I believe. You had to grow up fast because you died so young. By your 20's you could easily be middle aged. At birth in the 1850s newborn boys were expected to die before 40 and the girls would barely make it past 40.

US mortality projections by year/age
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005140.html

I think the chart is deceiving a little because this is only how much longer you'd live at each age - they aren't considering how many already died at each age. The most telling column is expectancy at age zero. I'll keep looking for more info.

Last edited by tyanger; 05-08-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 01:30 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
What you get is directly proportional to what you put in.

If you teach your children responsibility, respect and a good work ethic your chances are a lot better than if you don't.

Doing the thngs I mentoned will help you child mature much faster than if you do otherwise.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:35 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejcalis View Post
It's a great movie and the thing that really provoked curiosity was Clint Eastwoods characters 2 kids.

They were so young, probably not even 7 years old and yet they were left alone for weeks and told to kill a few chickens if they needed to.

I know its just a movie, but when I think about it, humanity had to be more rugged to survive, even the children, so losing those kind of characteristics in kids seem like regression?

I guess I just like the idea of the fortitude that the old days instilled into people and I wish it could be integrated into modern society some how.

Times have changed. When I was a kid, we were expected to work in our garden, which provided a good deal of food in the summer. We worked paper routes as early as age 8 and have never stopped working. As early as the second grade, my mother would give my brother and I a can of gasoline, a box of matches, and our .22 rifles to use to light trash on fire in the local dump and shoot rats. We would be gone all day long and oddly enough, were never killed. We had friends die from swimming in rivers, treking long distances on busy 2 lane highways and being stuck by cars, and from ag accidents. It is just a different culture now; the responsibility that is developed from being a "free range" kid has consequences and such "freedom" for kids today would be considered child abuse.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 PM

317 posts, read 404,883 times
Back in the old days many people married at the tender age of 16, Life expectancy was not what it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies