Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:47 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,565,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Guns are the last defense to a tyrannical government.

You can pry my freedom from my cold, dead fingers.
And who decides when a government is tyrannical?
Somalia, here we come
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 12:49 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,413,500 times
When they come on my land to make me conform, that'll be tyrannical.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:49 PM

18,123 posts, read 15,513,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The difference being that unlike guns cars are not designed to kill.
Tell that to Priscilla Ford. Our history is full of energy spent on designing weapons or improvisation of things into weapons. I have had to use a firearm for defensive purposes before, but mainly use them for predator control( which is a defensive purpose) and competition. I enjoy the shooting sports. It gets tiring, al the rhetoric about firearms= violence out of hand. All the drivel about firearms owners 'living in fear' and such. Does a person who practices Aikido or Karate do so because of fear? Shooting is a martial art, and one that can be practiced and enjoyed by folks who are not physically able to practice others. We have several competitors who are in wheelchairs, and shoot at the top of their class. Oh, I'm sure they are petrified just going out the door though, after all, they own GUNS! Firearms are marvelous examples of mechanical engineering. Ballistic science is fascinating stuff, as is the chemistry involved. It all fits together into a precise science, right down to the man behind the trigger. Who must be conditioned and educated if he/she wants to apply the required skills in proper fashion. As in all other endeavors, it runs the gamut of rank beginners to seasoned professionals. Yet all some folks can see is the spew fed them by folks who do not understand, and never will, what the shooting tradition of this nation means. If only they could just keep their choices and views in their own circles, life would be grand.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:51 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,188,343 times
Quote:
There are not many killers out there, they are not the addressees of that program. It is targeted at the broad population as a whole I guess.
And the broad population as a whole are law abiding citizens. Just more incriminating evidence it is a sham of leftist propaganda.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
A very valid question for a theoretical debate, but one that is not very relevant in reality for most people.

I'm no street fighter either, but in over 40 years of adult life I have never needed to be. Never - not once. Last time I was picked on was in about 1962 in junior high school. The important lesson I learned from those years was to recognize and avoid troublemakers and their gathering places. And it has always worked. Never did it occur to me that the solution to dealing with problem individuals was to take them on using a gun.

Now, if you live in a neighborhood where you can't walk your own street for fear of assault, the answer is to move - and make more careful choices in the future.
Two slight differences of opinions I see here.
1: everyone just can't pack up and move
2: some had rather fight the bad guys than surrender.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
And the broad population as a whole are law abiding citizens. Just more incriminating evidence it is a sham of leftist propaganda.
Well, I guess the reasoning is simply that the smaller the number of guns out there, the lower the likelihood of shots being fired and someone getting hurt or killed by them.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Tell that to Priscilla Ford. Our history is full of energy spent on designing weapons or improvisation of things into weapons. I have had to use a firearm for defensive purposes before, but mainly use them for predator control( which is a defensive purpose) and competition. I enjoy the shooting sports. It gets tiring, al the rhetoric about firearms= violence out of hand. All the drivel about firearms owners 'living in fear' and such. Does a person who practices Aikido or Karate do so because of fear? Shooting is a martial art, and one that can be practiced and enjoyed by folks who are not physically able to practice others. We have several competitors who are in wheelchairs, and shoot at the top of their class. Oh, I'm sure they are petrified just going out the door though, after all, they own GUNS! Firearms are marvelous examples of mechanical engineering. Ballistic science is fascinating stuff, as is the chemistry involved. It all fits together into a precise science, right down to the man behind the trigger. Who must be conditioned and educated if he/she wants to apply the required skills in proper fashion. As in all other endeavors, it runs the gamut of rank beginners to seasoned professionals. Yet all some folks can see is the spew fed them by folks who do not understand, and never will, what the shooting tradition of this nation means. If only they could just keep their choices and views in their own circles, life would be grand.
Time to move on, can't stay in the middle ages forever

Old 05-09-2010, 01:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,770,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
There's actually no point to miss. Guns are guns. They're all designed to kill, period. Criminals will kill with whatever gun they can get their hands on. The less floating around the better. The funny thing is, youre actually pretending to be able to profile the type of gun a criminal will use. Just because a gun isn't on the street today doesn't mean it wont be on the street tommorrow. Nobody thought kids on the street would be carrying AK-47s. They use whatever is accessible, a Fox SxS Shotgun kills a lot better than a 9mm or a glock 27 does.
Actually it was the banning of the "Saturday night special" and gun buybacks such as this one that took the cheap and underpowered firearms off the streets (.22-.38 cal) and have lead to more lethal calibers being possessed by street thugs/criminals. Gun bans and buy-back programs have "Unintended Consequences".

The liberal/progressive leadership of Chicago repeats the mistakes of the past and offers up only a "feel good" buyback so as to make the sheep of the city think they are actually doing something to combat violent gang-related street crime.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess the reasoning is simply that the smaller the number of guns out there, the lower the likelihood of shots being fired and someone getting hurt or killed by them.
I think it is false reasoning. People who have them for defense only don't fire unless needed. Pretty clear to me gun control is a leftist agenda. Period. It doesn't take 20/20 vision to see that. Killers keep their guns and do what they want to do. Guns stored for self defense by law abiding people have no connection to bullets being fired and killing innocent people. The left wants to spin it but it just want turn.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Time to move on, can't stay in the middle ages forever
This is not the middle ages. This is the age of self preservation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies