Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 01:18 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times

Advertisements

OMG, people. YOU CAN GET PUT ON DISABILITY FOR A MENTAL ILLNESS. You can't always tell that a person has a mental illness just by looking at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 01:20 AM

317 posts, read 404,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
OMG, people. YOU CAN GET PUT ON DISABILITY FOR A MENTAL ILLNESS. You can't always tell that a person has a mental illness just by looking at them.
If this story was on the news I'm confident they would have mentioned the reason for the disability, unless it was Fox News. Like I said, either the OP unintentionally or willfully misconstrued the story, or the local television station is extremely incompetent or biased.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:28 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
I found the link to the story. I was wrong. She got put on disability AFTER she got cancer. The story went so quick on TV that I misunderstood the sequence of events. She also get's more than I stated, she get's $2700 a month. In her case she would be better off getting less disability so she would qualify for Medicaid.

www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12424849 (broken link)

Old 05-09-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I found the link to the story. I was wrong. She got put on disability AFTER she got cancer. The story went so quick on TV that I misunderstood the sequence of events. She also get's more than I stated, she get's $2700 a month. In her case she would be better off getting less disability so she would qualify for Medicaid.

www,ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12424849
Do you think that your own political beliefs led to you jump to conclusions. The story is much different than the way you presented it. It's actually a very sad heart wrenching story. It actually made me very emotional reading about it. The woman is a single mom of a 13 year old girl. She has stage 4 cancer (there is no stage 5) which has spread to her brain. I hope you realize you were way off base on this one.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:36 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:

www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12424849 (http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12424849 - broken link)

for posting the link.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:36 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
There was a story on our local news about a woman who lost her job, couldn't find another one after two years of searching,and was put on Social Security Disability. She technically had no disabilitybut was put on the program anyway. She get's $2500 a month. This is too much. Many people who work hard after taxes are taken out do not make this much. This is a slap in the face to low (and even mid) level workers. SS disability should pay lower than a minimum wage job.

This woman has since gotten cancer and has been rejected by Medicaid because she makes too much money on disability to qualify. I am sorry the woman has cancer. Yet I did respect the Medicaid officer for saying "we have a line in the sand and she is over the line". There is something twisted in the first place that SS Disability pays so much that it can put you over the Medicaid limit. Social Security disability payments need to be lowered.
It's very difficult to get on SSD, though. I am on a brain tumor support group E-mail list, and those who have had less luck with their tumor than me often find themselves having to apply for SSD. They usually don't get it the first time, and have to apply over and over again until they finally do.

I'm wondering how that woman was qualified for SSD.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:37 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:

No, she wouldn't be better off to get Medicaid. If she were on Medicaid she couldn't have assets over a certain amount---and it's extremely low. She wouldn't be able to use the same doctors she's had all along and would be more limited in medical treatments. She's probably in that catch-22 spot where she's too young to get Medicare, has too many assets to qualify for Medicaid, and doe not have health insurance because she lost her job.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:39 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
Do you think that your own political beliefs led to you jump to conclusions. The story is much different than the way you presented it. It's actually a very sad heart wrenching story. It actually made me very emotional reading about it. The woman is a single mom of a 13 year old girl. She has stage 4 cancer (there is no stage 5) which has spread to her brain. I hope you realize you were way off base on this one.

DUH! He owned up immediately to making a mistake and corrected his own story. Why would you try to rub his nose in it AFTER he says he is sorry????
I'm sure YOUR political beliefs do not influence your many liberal posts, do they now?

Old 05-09-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You need to do a proper link. That doesn't won't.

No, she wouldn't be better off to get Medicaid. If she were on Medicaid she couldn't have assets over a certain amount---and it's extremely low. She wouldn't be able to use the same doctors she's had all along and would be more limited in medical treatments. She's probably in that catch-22 spot where she's too young to get Medicare, has too many assets to qualify for Medicaid, and doe not have health insurance because she lost her job.
SSDI recipients can qualify for Medicare after 2 years. Problem is that I doubt this woman can wait 2 years. Proof that our health care system is broken.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:46 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
SSDI recipients can qualify for Medicare after 2 years. Problem is that I doubt this woman can wait 2 years. Proof that our health care system is broken.
I totally agree with you. Most people who get on SSDI and then have to wait that 2 years until Medicare kicks in run through all their assets just trying to hold on until then. It's a very scary and difficult time for these families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies