Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:11 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,990,459 times

Advertisements

This is an analysis by Associated Press.
While the Obama administration has faced second-guessing about the speed and effectiveness of some of its actions, a narrative pieced together by The Associated Press, based on documents, interviews and public statements, shows little resemblance to Katrina in either the characterization of the threat or the federal government's response.
The Associated Press: Obama oil response: aggressive as crisis unfolded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,830,998 times
I think it has been handled as well as it could and will continue to be so.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,021,851 times
At first I didnt think the criticism was justified because I assumed there was action being taken without notifying the public.. This this story has me thinking otherwise..

Eight days later, from Air Force One, Obama told advisers he wanted an aggressive response to what had suddenly become a more menacing threat to the ecology and economy of the Gulf Coast.

It took EIGHT days to issue a response that they want to become proactive? By their own admission nothing took place previously?

For a time, it was a rescue operation, and nothing more. The president was alerted because of the potential for great loss of life. (which they later admit was a sum total of 11 people)

I'd say there is a much better likelyhood that they were notified because of the great potential for oil to be spilled into the ocean. Its not like the President is notified everytime there is a risk to 11 individuals in america.

It wasnt until 10 days after the explosion that Homeland Security got involved, along with the Pentagon..

I agree, the response isnt anything like Katrinas. its far worse. Under Katrina the us government has no jurisdiction top step in until they are asked for help. Under international waters, no help request is needed and they could have gotten involved much earlier. Should they have, hindsight indicates yes, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they didnt know the impact.. That doesnt mean the comparison though is not valid..

Old 05-09-2010, 09:26 AM

37,956 posts, read 22,081,868 times
My question is this, how many oil rigs do we have in the Gulf? I read we had something like 3,000 various types of oil platforms and structures in the gulf of Mexico. So, if we have that many oil platforms, is what we have seen from the federal government to respond to a disastrous oil spill, the best we can come up with?

For the most powerful, most resourceful country on earth, was this pathetic and weak response our plan??

A week after the spill, BP was begging fishing boat captains to help lay out some oil boom and net. If the best America has to offer is so pathetic, that BP had to publicly beg any fish boat captain to please help, then we have no plan.

What in the hell is going on, is this the best we could have done, let BP handle it, and then wait for the oil to come ashore and bleat about it??

Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,499,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
At first I didnt think the criticism was justified because I assumed there was action being taken without notifying the public.. This this story has me thinking otherwise..

Eight days later, from Air Force One, Obama told advisers he wanted an aggressive response to what had suddenly become a more menacing threat to the ecology and economy of the Gulf Coast.

It took EIGHT days to issue a response that they want to become proactive? By their own admission nothing took place previously?

For a time, it was a rescue operation, and nothing more. The president was alerted because of the potential for great loss of life. (which they later admit was a sum total of 11 people)

I'd say there is a much better likelyhood that they were notified because of the great potential for oil to be spilled into the ocean. Its not like the President is notified everytime there is a risk to 11 individuals in america.

It wasnt until 10 days after the explosion that Homeland Security got involved, along with the Pentagon..

I agree, the response isnt anything like Katrinas. its far worse. Under Katrina the us government has no jurisdiction top step in until they are asked for help. Under international waters, no help request is needed and they could have gotten involved much earlier. Should they have, hindsight indicates yes, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they didnt know the impact.. That doesnt mean the comparison though is not valid..
You somehow managed to miss these two parts: Before noon the next day at the Interior Department, which oversees offshore drilling projects, the department's No. 2 official, Deputy Secretary David Hayes, raced to grab a commercial jet for New Orleans without even time to pack a bag. He sets up shop at a government command center already monitoring events.Two days after the fire erupted, Obama convened an Oval Office meeting to get the latest on what still was viewed largely as a major accident and rescue effort — 11 workers could not be found.Try reading the entire article or at least assume others will before stuffing your foot in your mouth. Im not even going to touch the utter nonsense you said about Katrina.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 AM

37,956 posts, read 22,081,868 times
Quote:

I agree, the response isnt anything like Katrinas.. its far worse..
0bama's response to the disaster was the rescue effort, it never dawned on him or his administration that millions of gallons of oil were heading to the US coast, until about nine days after the fact.

The Coast Guard rescue efforts are not, as the news media and 0bama fans claim, an example of "0bama taking action". The coast Guard followed normal SOP for accidents at sea.

We never saw the president put all the resources and assets into containing this spill, and we have seen this, it is freaking pathetic and useless. So instead of patting each other on the back about what a fine job everyone did, the 0bama administration should be furious at the lack of adequate response measures he had at his disposal.

Maybe in Cuba we would expect to see sending out fishing boats with containment nets, and looking to by equipment on the fly, as the totality of all available governmental assets and resources, but not for the USA.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,021,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
You somehow managed to miss these two parts: Before noon the next day at the Interior Department, which oversees offshore drilling projects, the department's No. 2 official, Deputy Secretary David Hayes, raced to grab a commercial jet for New Orleans without even time to pack a bag. He sets up shop at a government command center already monitoring events.Two days after the fire erupted, Obama convened an Oval Office meeting to get the latest on what still was viewed largely as a major accident and rescue effort — 11 workers could not be found.Try reading the entire article or at least assume others will before stuffing your foot in your mouth. Im not even going to touch the utter nonsense you said about Katrina.
Similar actions were taken for Katrina.. You dont think they flew to setup command centers?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:06 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,352,749 times
Quote:
Similar actions were taken for Katrina.. You dont think they flew to setup command centers?
Memo to media: Timeline contradicts "Obama's Katrina" claim | Media Matters for America

Thats the timeline for the oil spill. Officials were on the ground the next day.

Heres the opening line to the Katrina timeline

Friday, August 26
GOV. KATHLEEN BLANCO DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY IN LOUISIANA [Office of the Governor]

GULF COAST STATES REQUEST TROOP ASSISTANCE FROM PENTAGON: At a 9/1 press conference, Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré, commander, Joint Task Force Katrina, said that the Gulf States began the process of requesting additional forces on Friday, 8/26. [DOD]

Thats 3 days before it hit. Mississippi's governor asked for federal help the next day

TWO FULL DAYS BEFORE IT EVEN HIT THE COAST!!!!

Also, the day Katrina hit, AFTER the Bush administration had been informed that water was coming over the levies, and many had failed, he stopped for a photo op, with John McCain, for his birthday, awwww.

Here is the Katrina timeline

Think Progress » KATRINA TIMELINE

Federal officials weren't on the ground in New Orleans, until 3 full days after Katrina. They were resisting outside help until 5 full days after the Hurricane was over.

Look at the two links, read the response in full, know the extent of the damage caused by each event.

If you can honestly tell me that the Bush administrations response was as good as the Obama response to the oil spill, you're living in a partisan fantasy world.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:38 AM

For the purpose of this thread, you have been temporarily taken off of my ignore list.

Quote:
The potential for loss of life was 126, luckily the actual loss was 11.

Quote:
You are aware that the U.S. Coast Guard is under... the Department of Homeland Security!

Back on the ignore list.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

We never saw the president put all the resources and assets into containing this spill,
What resources would those be?

Outside of the Coast Guard, which is the size of the New York Police Department, the U.S. has very few resources to contain oil spills, that is the primary responsibility of the oil companies, and their private contractors whose job it is to do such work. Now if as a result of the Drill Baby Drill mantra, you folks would like to establish the U.S. Oil Spill Response Agency, that would have to approach the size and scope of the Coast Guard... go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies