Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Look .... this is just a reference that shows you are wrong. There are many things in use that are not and haven't been patented. Lots of inventors or particular pieces of a technology avoid patents because they expose the details of the invention which then becomes part of the public domain after patent protection expires. Patent information is a sure fire way to duplicate technology, and is often avoided for that reason.
No... it is a reference showing that somebody has patented an idea. It is not evidence that there actually is any such thing as a thermite shaped charge.

I have worked with thermite. It's awesome for burning a hole straight down. It's great for destroying an engine block or a cannon tube. It is useless for cutting a vertical steel beam. Especially when we already have so many other great tools that actually can do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas
In the case of thermite ... which was first discovered in the 1800's, is not a new technology ... pretty old really. And it's safe to say that it's been used for decades to cut steel, with a shaped charge being essential to control the thermitic reaction. These fellows simply applied for a patent of their specific delivery mechanism, which they believe is unique and patentable.
It's safe to say anything on an Internet forum, even stuff that is not true. Thermite has not been "used for decades" to cut vertical steel beams. It still cannot be used for the purpose today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas
Suffice it to say that it is common knowledge that civilian technology lags behind military/classified technology anywhere from 15 to 30 years, depending on who you believe. Classified technology is never patented for obvious reasons even the most dense knuckleheads would surely understand.
That's the problem with "common knowledge." It is indistinguishable from wild rumors and speculation. I have held an SCI clearance and had custodial responsibility for nuclear warheads. The most common area of training in such a role is the emergency destruction of the warheads to make them unusable to unauthorized individuals or organizations. We use the best technology to destroy these weapons that is available.

There is no such thing as a thermite shaped charge.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Names can be deceiving. Truthers, for instance.
If memory serves me, I believe it was the Liars who so copyrighted the label, "Truthers".

And, the Liars are on the other side of the Truthers.

Never forget - A is A.

Do you want to switch now, and refer to yourself as a Truther?

Hey! What with "A being A" an' all, go head, make my day.

YouTube - Classic Movie Line #31

Last edited by ergohead; 05-18-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Is there an ignore button here somewhere?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:42 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Is there an ignore button here somewhere?
Thermite also melts tin foil.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,190 times
39 pages of comic book guys and Sheldons?

Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
No... it is a reference showing that somebody has patented an idea. It is not evidence that there actually is any such thing as a thermite shaped charge.

I have worked with thermite. It's awesome for burning a hole straight down. It's great for destroying an engine block or a cannon tube. It is useless for cutting a vertical steel beam. Especially when we already have so many other great tools that actually can do the job.

It's safe to say anything on an Internet forum, even stuff that is not true. Thermite has not been "used for decades" to cut vertical steel beams. It still cannot be used for the purpose today.

That's the problem with "common knowledge." It is indistinguishable from wild rumors and speculation. I have held an SCI clearance and had custodial responsibility for nuclear warheads. The most common area of training in such a role is the emergency destruction of the warheads to make them unusable to unauthorized individuals or organizations. We use the best technology to destroy these weapons that is available.

There is no such thing as a thermite shaped charge.
exactly, and well said

signed

retired 13Z, 12Z First Sergeant

Old 05-18-2010, 03:59 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Do a patent search, scratch some diagrams or drawings, pay $75.00 and file a provisional.

That will give you one year to file a full patent application while retaining your priority date.

Articulation is crucial, so most folks hire patent attorneys.
I'm digging myself out of a bit of a hole. Down the road a bit I'll do just what you said.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
What ... rocks? or Patents?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Just pulling your leg !!! Sometimes dry humor can be misunderstood!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Thermite also melts tin foil.
quite well actually but it doesn't do squat for demolition. It can be used to make Machinery inoperable tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies