Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Where could one get a recharge just any time of the day or when his batter ran down? In California I don't think they had recharge facilities just everywhere either.

I noticed that nobody mentioned shredding because of "cash for clunkers" in that bit.

Once the government has either subsidized private businesses to provide charging stations or just built them for us I can go with this electric craze but I don't see that happening soon. Will there be mobile charging services for people who forgot to plug in soon enough or tried to squeeze a mile or two more out of a charge?

Hey, I am not against all this technology for city driving but just don't see it working for people out here in the sticks who want to continue to live in the sticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:08 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I want to make sure that you guys see this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Conservative's slogan: Be afraid!!!!!

Conservatives love to use fear to persuade people
They'll tell you that an electric car will look like this and won't drive more than 20 miles

Here's what a real electric car looks like
Tesla Model S
Starts at $50,000
Seats 7 people
160, 230 or 300 Mile range
0-60mph in 5.6 seconds
Tesla Motors - Tesla Showroom

YouTube - Tesla Model S Part 2: Pure Electric Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
I DID NOT DO IT!! You can't put that on me!

I have fought against so much of this stupidity for decades

My first start in the fight was in the 1972 - '73 school year when I told my Social Studies teacher that we were going to become like Russia and Russia was going to be like us ... and he blew a massive gasket ...
I think that you were very right and the Soviet Union was still there. Also, I think you had a progressive teacher back then.

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Do you geniuses realize that electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels?

I bet you thought they were magic holes in the wall, didn't you?
Not all electricity comes from fossil fuels. In fact in my town the majority of power comes from renewable resources.

Alameda Municipal Power - Power Mix - Pie Chart

Old 05-09-2010, 09:10 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Roy, I'm still waiting on your alternative fuel options when all the oil is gone. You guys always cry about the kids inheriting debt but you don't want them to have a viable energy source?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The current model of those electric cars has a range of 100 miles; however, future models will undoubtedly be improved and mileage will increase. Do you think that the first cars were able to get 25-30+ mpg?

And I know of no legislation to suggest that the government will ban gas cars and force people to convert to electric. The obvious thing that will happen over time is that electric cars will improve technologically and become more viable, and infrastructure will develop for efficiently recharging those cars all over the country - and then more people will switch to them and the government will provide greater incentives for doing so.

Some guy with your same mentality was probably complaining 100 years ago about how the automobile is stupid and should never replace the horse and buggy.
I am not against this bit of technology. I just see that it is far from ready for us as a nation. I can't imagine the charging facilities needed for those who are traveling any distance at all. You have to have parking spots for the autos as well as plugins. There has to be a lot of pre-planning for all these changes and it won't be done in time to keep us safe from Cap and Trade that is upon us.

We old people are all unable to keep up with advancements. I learn that all the time from liberals who keep telling me about that.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Of course I have. And they produce a lot of electricity. But Hydroelectric Plants also have the tree huggers whining about the environmental impact.
I wonder how many people are convinced that living under high tension power lines is not healthy. Much of the problem with these methods of generation has been caused by tree huggers who think that the power is good but just don't know how to move it.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Just a bad idea.. Winter in places is cold, and batterys don't much like the cold. Nothing with a battery can plow snow either. Then what to we do with the dead batterys and the heavy metals they are made of..

Like others to town is a long way for me and other rural dwellers. This makes as much sence as a SUV in the city.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:18 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Do you geniuses realize that electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels?

I bet you thought they were magic holes in the wall, didn't you?
Have you ever heard of the word
Hydropower ???

http://www.thelatestnews.in/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/hydroelectric-power-generation.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Long term planning accepts the possibility that a solution will not manifest itself for years. There are problems that exist in this world that will not be solved in our lifetimes. That does not mean we stop working on it.
You are right, of course. However, getting excited about all this now is just not too smart. Too many people don't see that technology is just not really close yet. Also, our leader did say that the price of electricity would go up drastically if Cap and Trade is passed and he has the people to do that with. I don't have many years left but I do fear that that may not be soon enough to avoid what Cap and Trade will do to our nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies