Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:40 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I keep hearing about the hawkish right wingers, why do most of you find better things to do than serve in the military?

I don't have any links to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, but since when do we have to prove personal opinion?
I guess I am more 'right' then 'left'; I served. Does that count?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 AM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
For a bandaid cut . Never had a stitch or surgery . Talked the poor war torn vets into throwing their medals in the pool while he kept his that witness's say weren't even earned ! He did shoot a civilian in the back though .
I find it rather stunning relative to these comparisons between Bush and Kerry’s military careers that there are so many details on Kerry but very little of what should have been basic information like his service dates. It would make sense if there was less information on a soldier serving in Vietnam as opposed to stateside but it seems to be just the opposite in this case.

People know each location Kerry served, soldiers in his unit, circumstances around his wounds and the color of his band aids but no one seems to know what days Bush was on duty and how he was allowed to transfer out of his supposed national guard unit when it was called up. No one seems to know much if anything about Bush’s service time at all.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:19 AM

8,891 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Dick Cheney said he had better things to do (when asked why he didn't serve in Viet Nam)

Inquiring minds want to know. The right claims the left hate the military without proof, I wondered what the reaction would be if the shoe were on the other foot.
VP Joseph Biden was also occupied elsewhere.

I was in the Army for 8 years.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:29 AM

8,891 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes Bill Clinton also but then he did not send us off to war as did Bush and Cheney then stand on an aircraft carrier deck announcing mission a accomplished months into what turned out to be the longest war in US history. Remember this was supposed to be the military brain trust alongwith Powell and Rumsfeld. We are not talking about volunteering for the draft, Obama was not draft eligible and did not file for 5 draft deferments as did Cheney or get into an invisible National Guard position as did Bush to avoid the inevitable.
I wasn't draft eligible, yet spent 8 years in the Army.

If it was a priority of BO, he could have done the same.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,590 times
Military is one of those organizations where its politics aside. I would say there are probably more conservatives in the armed service than people on the left, but hey shouldn't liberals support conservatives joining the military. Seems like an easy way to get rid of your opposition.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:31 AM

1,179 posts, read 975,374 times

YouTube - Generation Chickenhawk: With The College Republicans

Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I wasn't draft eligible, yet spent 8 years in the Army.

If it was a priority of BO, he could have done the same.
I don’t have any issue with someone that does not enlist in the service but I definitely have issue with someone who used their connections to cheat the system and avoid the draft. Do you want to start voting only for ex-military people for congress, president?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,756 times
I've been in for almost 13 years...and for me it's the other way round.

I hate (the overtly politicized) military....but love to serve (my Country).....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies