Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
Just because the Federal government help pay for the food, they feel they have this right. This is a serious RED FLAG to Americans. If you pray out loud--NO FOOD FOR YOU!!

Port Wentworth nixes prayer at senior center savannahnow
One of the comments to that article said: 'Bet they would be allowed to pray this. "Thanks be unto you, President Obama for the food we are about to receive from Your bounty.... Hope and Change, Amen!" '

I agree with that comment wholeheartedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 08:24 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
OK Kev - now's your chance to tell us EXACTLY how are YOU going to be "subjected" to these old folks views on God if by some chance they WANTED TO PRAY TOGETHER??? How Kev?

They way I read it - all of them, want to pray - no one there is going to be "subjected to something" they don't want

Lets get real folks - how much more stupid can this get???

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!
I agree 100% , but still need to ask ALL on this site " WHAT ARE THEY AFRAID OF!?. Doesn't the president or any person being sworn in by an oath on the Bible ? How about the next time ( Supreme court justice swearing in ) we use HUSTLER or Playboy , it would make more sense given some of their action on the bench and in office Now that would be a real separation of Church and State.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:06 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I cant believe this big deal over prayer

Yes I can. If they were praying to Allah this would be a totally different thread for many
And if this were a catholic missionary refusing aid to someone who wouldn't convert? That's a sad part of history, and one we continue to perpetuate.
On Faith Panelists Blog: Missionaries: the good, the bad, and the ugly - Ramdas Lamb
Quote:
In India, missionaries tell their supporters in the U.S. that they provide free or inexpensive services to the needy. However, once initial assistance is given, then conditions are often added for subsequent help. If free education is provided, conversion may then be a requirement for its continuance past a certain point. If aid is in the form of health care, then the quality of care or type of medicine and treatment available may be determined by one's willingness to convert. This becomes a serious and difficult issue for parents who bring a sick or injured child to a missionary hospital. They may be told that the necessary care is only given to Christians, or that the required medicines "will only work" on Christians. For those who do convert in order to receive needed care, they may well be pressured to then convert other family members or else lose whatever aid they are receiving. I have seen families torn apart by such missionary activities in Central India where I conduct research. Again, this is not what all missionaries do, but these are fairly common occurrences.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
I agree 100% , but still need to ask ALL on this site " WHAT ARE THEY AFRAID OF!?. Doesn't the president or any person being sworn in by an oath on the Bible ? How about the next time ( Supreme court justice swearing in ) we use HUSTLER or Playboy , it would make more sense given some of their action on the bench and in office Now that would be a real separation of Church and State.
The President or any person being sworn in may choose to do so on a Bible, but it is not mandatory.

Quote:
the Constitution doesn't require Presidents or other federal officials to place their hand on the Bible or say the words "so help me God." Quite the contrary, those sections of the Constitution that deal with oaths of office are completely secular in content and, as such, constitute evidence that the framers intended separation. The Presidential oath of office is described in Article II, section 1 of the Constitution:

• Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
Nothing in this section requires that the oath of office be taken on the Bible. Neither do the words "so help me God" appear in the oath. While Presidents often include this phrase in their inauguration ceremonies, the words are customary; they are not required by the Constitution and have no legal significance.

Additionally, we note that the words required by the Constitution are described as an "Oath or Affirmation," and that the President is allowed to simply affirm his faithfulness to the Constitution. The word "affirmation" was inserted in this section precisely to allow Presidents to avoid swearing oaths to God as a condition of taking office. This provision seems particularly intended for Quakers (who had religious objections to taking oaths), but it is worded broadly enough to encompass any person who objects to taking an oath, including non-theists.Swearing on the Bible.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,221 times
I'm glad their prayer time was given back to them. Because the ONLY REASON it was pulled is because the federal government help fund it.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
One of the comments to that article said: 'Bet they would be allowed to pray this. "Thanks be unto you, President Obama for the food we are about to receive from Your bounty.... Hope and Change, Amen!" '

I agree with that comment wholeheartedly.
another swipe at Obama? In case you haven't noticed Obama does pray and held a National Day of prayer. You Obama haters do realize that these guidelines were not written by the Obama administration.
Anything to hate the President losers!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
It was the busy-bodies (I'm sure leftists), who noticed the prayer and decided to butt in where they don't belong.
I'm betting it was just the opposite...

Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
I'm glad their prayer time was given back to them. Because the ONLY REASON it was pulled is because the federal government help fund it.
I don't think it was actually "pulled". And the ONLY REASON it's an issue is because the guy delivering the food took it upon HIMSELF to make it one. You need to know his motives to know anything.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
if they want to ban group prayers, might as well ban gays, just for being gay

Old 05-11-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
if they want to ban group prayers, might as well ban gays, just for being gay
Why is it that the later it gets the less sense posts seem to make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies