Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,308 times

Advertisements

Chicago and Washington DC have strict guns laws. Both are or have been on the top 5 list of murders in the US at one time or the other in the last five years. Most of these murders have involved guns. If gun bans work, why all the murders? Why all the drive by shootings? I thought gun bans worked, right? Mexico has ONE GUN STORE in Mexico City that sells to law enforcement and federal gun dealers only. Why is Mexico rated #1 in murders by shooting in Latin America? Again, I thought BANNING GUNS WORKED?? Sorry, banning guns DOES NOT WORK, nor will it ever, not here in America. Restricting law abiding citizens to own or carry guns, promotes more violence from criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Chicago has strict gun laws and has a crime and homicide rate. Phoenix has a huge problem with illegals and has a high homicide and car theft rate. Its precisely why legal residents want more liberal( hah!) gun laws, they feel threatened.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:19 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
...then why is the murder rate 2x the national average and car theft 3x the national average in Phoenix...

Hint: The answer is not illegal aliens...
Why don't you tell us who is responsible for these crimes.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
If I ever have the misfortune to travel in Arizona I will be armed. I still believe I am aware and fast enough to successfully defend myself and anyone I am responsible for protecting. I do not like to carry a gun but I still know how to use them.

It seems to me that the influx of criminals associated with the drug smuggling has skewed the statistics that usually indicate a drop in violent crime when gun control laws are reduced or eliminated. The actual violence would be much worse if guns were more regulated.

In addition to their new "liberalization" of their gun carry law the people of Arizona could voluntarily help their senior population that are generally a favorite target of violent crime become armed and trained. Contrary to popular myth, a .22 cal pistol is an effective defense weapon if you shoot the criminal in the face. You just have to be skilled enough to be able to do that.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
...then why is the murder rate 2x the national average and car theft 3x the national average in Phoenix...

Hint: The answer is not illegal aliens...

Vermont carry as it is called just came into being this year. I see those numbers going down quite a bit.

also, why not compare AZ. stats to someplace like chicago or dc.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:45 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
also, why not compare AZ. stats to someplace like chicago or dc.
A state to a major metro area... that would make as much sense as comparing gun-related crime rate in Phoenix to gun-related crime rates in all government buildings in AZ.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
A state to a major metro area... that would make as much sense as comparing gun-related crime rate in Phoenix to gun-related crime rates in all government buildings in AZ.

sure why not, after all AZ is about the same size as some cities in population. also, take out the illegal alien crime equation out of the picture and see where AZ's crime rate is then.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:51 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
the OP speakes of Phoenix not Arizona . pheonix is a major metro area

Old 05-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
the OP speakes of Phoenix not Arizona . pheonix is a major metro area
I didn't respond to the OP. I responded to someone who compared a state to metropolitan areas.

BTW, what are gun-related crime rates inside government building in AZ compared to rest of the city of Phoenix?

Old 05-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
sure why not, after all AZ is about the same size as some cities in population. also, take out the illegal alien crime equation out of the picture and see where AZ's crime rate is then.
And you can't make an argument without quoting illegal aliens. I won't mind if you were to provide concrete evidence, but that too would make for a separate topic.

And if "why not", how do you see gun-related crime rate in places that don't allow guns versus those that allow guns WITHIN the same city or state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies