Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:51 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Many economists disagree, as I noted in my post.

But what you said makes fantastic rhetoric for deregulation because it would work magnificently in fantasy land.
You mean in the "fantasy land" of freedom as opposed to the "fantasy land" of oppression, threat, fraud, and government extortion.

Every "system" ever created by "planners" serves the interests of the "planners" and not human freedom.

Would a real free market be perfect? Absolutely not. Is our current government/business collusion perfect? Nope. I would rather be the "victim" of freedom than the victim of "regulation".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:55 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
You mean in the "fantasy land" of freedom as opposed to the "fantasy land" of oppression, threat, fraud, and government extortion.

Every "system" ever created by "planners" serves the interests of the "planners" and not human freedom.

Would a real free market be perfect? Absolutely not. Is our current government/business collusion perfect? Nope. I would rather be the "victim" of freedom than the victim of "regulation".
As I noted, you're completely ignoring negative externalities which is why all your posting is a big fantasy. I'm going to ignore your rhetoric regarding freedom.

If a corporation has a rig in the middle of the Ocean, the rig explodes and it damages the economy of an area, who is supposed to handle the cost of cleaning up that company's mistake?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,418 times
There would obviously need to be a certain amount of regulation (otherwise, in a truly free market, child slaves would be one of many common side-effects), but not all "regulation" is equal.

Some regulations are designed to raise the cost of entry into a particular business. Some are more reasonable.

Ideally, we'd have much more selective and effective regulations.

The problem, of course, is that laws in America are written by lobbyists. And lobbyists are by definition partisans to their particular cause.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 PM

You are talking about an actual liability by an actual company. "Regulations" are treatment of all businesses as guilty of theoretical future crimes. There is no relationship between actual liability of particular actors and wide-spread guilt by association of possible future crimes. "Innocent until proven guilty anyone?"

Old 05-12-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
You are talking about an actual liability by an actual company. "Regulations" are treatment of all businesses as guilty of theoretical future crimes. There is no relationship between actual liability of particular actors and wide-spread guilt by association of possible future crimes. "Innocent until proven guilty anyone?"
How about you answer my question.

Regulations are an attempt to prevent externalities from coming to a head.

If you have a different plan that's cool, but how about you actually post it and cut the rhetoric already? I mean if they were taken to court, and everyone sued the corporations involved for damages, would you be okay with that? How should the cleanup effort be handled/funded/managed?

How should we either fine or prevent corporations from causing negative externalities?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
How about you answer my question.

Regulations are an attempt to prevent externalities from coming to a head.

If you have a different plan that's cool, but how about you actually post it and cut the rhetoric already?

How should we either fine or prevent corporations from causing negative externalities?
Huh? Don't we have criminal and civil courts already? If I cause damage to you, don't you have the ability to take me to civil court? What is special about corporations that they can be deemed guilty prior to any actual damage caused?

Though I do believe that "corporations" are fictional entities that should not have any "rights" beyond those of its human owners.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Though I do believe that "corporations" are fictional entities that should not have any "rights" beyond those of its human owners.
Agreed.

But that's going to happen never, so good luck.

Also you seem to think that negative externalities can be handled via the courts, some people might disagree. You're also going to have to create additional laws (you seem to feel laws and regulations are completely different) in order to actually handle that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies