Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:15 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,226,222 times

Advertisements

When proponents of a national id card bring up the issue it is often met with controversy and resistance. Proponents know that many Americans will oppose government intrusions into their lives. We saw this with the enactment of the Real ID act. It's much easier to pass a controversial law if it is under the guise of "safety" and "security". Look at the Patriot Act. If we do have a COMPULSORY national identification it is feasible that they will be encrypted with GPS tracking. Real ID already allows for biometric encoding. RFID chips have already been implanted into employees which allow employers to monitor their whearabouts 24 hours a day. People are embracing measures that under different circumstances they would be outraged over. A question for conservatives, how would you feel if President Obama and his administration had the capability to monitor your movements 24 hours a day, for liberals, how would you feel if President Bush had that capability? If you have no problem with a mandatory identification that needs to be carried at all times than this will make you happy.

Ron Paul weighs in the national id

YouTube - Ron Paul: A National ID Card? Outrageous!

Last edited by Holdencaulfield; 05-11-2010 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 09:20 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
How does having a "national ID card" translate into being able to "monitor your movements 24 hours a day"? We already have a "national ID card"- it's called a Social Security card- and no one is able to monitor my movements with that. I also have a passport, which one could call a "national ID card", since it confirms my citizenship and allows me to travel abroad. What's the big deal???

Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
We already have one,

its called the Social Security card.

I would support simply putting a picture on the card, and make it harder to forge.

We don't need another form of national identification. Without your social security card, you can't be employed. If you're a minor, keep them giving the current card, because they are growing. Once they reach 15, put their picture on the card. Have a new picture required every 5 years.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
How does having a "national ID card" translate into being able to "monitor your movements 24 hours a day"? We already have a "national ID card"- it's called a Social Security card- and no one is able to monitor my movements with that. I also have a passport, which one could call a "national ID card", since it confirms my citizenship and allows me to travel abroad. What's the big deal???
Less than 25% of Americans have a passport. It's not compulsory, which means you are not required to get one. I don't even think you are required by law to get a social security number. You certainly are't required to carry it. I don't remember the last time I carried my social security card or passport. If we are required to obtain and carry a national id card, and it is encrypted with GPS, it's very easy for the government to monitor your movement.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Less than 25% of Americans have a passport. It's not compulsory. I don't remember the last time I carried my social security card or passport. If we are required to obtain and carry a national id card, and it is encrypted with GPS, it's very easy for the government to monitor your movement.
The bolded part is Ron Paul's hypothetical stretch- there's no talk of any sort of GPS encryption being included in the cards. Putting the tinfoil hat GPS claim aside, what's the big deal? It's no more difficult to carry a "national ID card" than it is to carry a drivers license.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The bolded part is Ron Paul's hypothetical stretch- there's no talk of any sort of GPS encryption being included in the cards. Putting the tinfoil hat GPS claim aside, what's the big deal? It's no more difficult to carry a "national ID card" than it is to carry a drivers license.
Perhaps I should have bolded the word mandatory. Drivers license are not mandatory for all citizens. I choose to carry my drivers license, not compulsory. When I go for a run I don't carry an id. No form of id is mandatory, at least not yet.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Social Security Cards up until the 1980s expressly stated the number and card were not to be used for identification purposes. Since nearly everyone in the United States now has a number, it became convenient to use it anyway and the message was removed.[10]

Although some people do not have a SSN assigned to them, it is becoming increasingly difficult to engage in legitimate financial activities such as applying for a loan or a bank account without one.[11] While the government cannot require an individual to disclose his or her SSN without a legal basis, companies may refuse to provide service to an individual who does not provide a SSN.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Social Security Cards up until the 1980s expressly stated the number and card were not to be used for identification purposes. Since nearly everyone in the United States now has a number, it became convenient to use it anyway and the message was removed.[10]

Although some people do not have a SSN assigned to them, it is becoming increasingly difficult to engage in legitimate financial activities such as applying for a loan or a bank account without one.[11] While the government cannot require an individual to disclose his or her SSN without a legal basis, companies may refuse to provide service to an individual who does not provide a SSN.
SSN are not mandatory. You also are not required your carry your SSN with you at all times. In fact, it's not wise to carry your SSN at all times. If your wallet gets lost or stolen, you have made it much easier for a thief to commit identity theft.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
SSN are not mandatory. You also are not required your carry your SSN with you at all times. In fact, it's not wise to carry your SSN at all times. If your wallet gets lost or stolen, you have made it much easier for a thief to commit identity theft.
Its required to get a job.

If you make it mandatory that you must see a social security card, with picture ID on it, and it will be ran before employment can begin, it would end most illegal immigration.

Somewhere over 90% of all Americans have a social security number. Those who don't have one are either very young, or object to it based on religious reasons.

Still, most Americans have the card, and it wouldn't be hard to require you to carry one.

I carry mine with me all the time, and my sons. Thats because when I'm asked for two forms of ID, its my drivers license, and my SSC.

I see no reason why we shouldn't just put a picture on the card, and require that for employment. If someone hires you without running your card, then they should go to jail.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 AM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
When proponents of a national id card bring up the issue it is often met with controversy and resistance. Proponents know that many Americans will oppose government intrusions into their lives. We saw this with the enactment of the Real ID act. It's much easier to pass a controversial law if it is under the guise of "safety" and "security". Look at the Patriot Act. If we do have a COMPULSORY national identification it is feasible that they will be encrypted with GPS tracking. Real ID already allows for biometric encoding. RFID chips have already been implanted into employees which allow employers to monitor their whearabouts 24 hours a day. People are embracing measures that under different circumstances they would be outraged over. A question for conservatives, how would you feel if President Obama and his administration had the capability to monitor your movements 24 hours a day, for liberals, how would you feel if President Bush had that capability?

Ron Paul weighs in the national id

YouTube - Ron Paul: A National ID Card? Outrageous!

Only for illegals, not for citizens.

Holden, if you are so opposed to enforcement of the US immigration laws, please be so kind as to donate half of your income to the state of Arizona to help with the cost of the healthcare, education, and social programs the state must provide to non-citizens. Of course you will not, as liberals DEMAND that situations be changed to suit your preferences, but will not contribute a single dime personally- too greedy and selfish.

It is amazing that one can sit in a different state and DEMAND that citizens of another state abide by the personal whims and feelings of citizens of other states who have no personal financial interest in the situation. To impose your will upon citizens of other states and DEMAND that your will be implemented is very selfish and somewhat fascist. How would you feel if citizens of our state DEMANDED that you changed laws that are important to the survival of YOUR state, but not MINE. How greedy and selfish. How liberal.

Holden-
Do you have a driver's liscence? How about a passport? Social Security card? Let's get rid of all of them, as they really intrude on personal liberty. While we are at it, let's eliminate social security all together, as we will need to do so in the absence of that "national identity number", our social security number. Nothing would make me more happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies