Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

I agree social studies tend to be quite racist. I would never have majored in something like that.

Our schools are falling so fast in comparison with schools of other countries for that reason, and it's time we get back to education. Teach kids how to read and write. Teach science and math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Mlassoff --- to be consistent, you had better provide us your ethnicity so we can figure out your posts from a cultural point of view. How can we understand you or what you post without knowing your ethnicity?

See? How do you like it? Do you want to be judged by your so-called "cultural group"?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
History isn't ethnic studies. No one is suggesting that history be dropped.
They are only suggesting that history that isn't about white people be dropped.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:18 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,000 times
But whose history is being taught? If it is divisive to teach ethnic studies, it is just as divisive to teach "history" that only focuses on whites/Europeans.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:

Old 05-12-2010, 08:18 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Mlassoff --- to be consistent, you had better provide us your ethnicity so we can figure out your posts from a cultural point of view. How can we understand you or what you post without knowing your ethnicity?

See? How do you like it? Do you want to be judged by your so-called "cultural group"?
Umm.. I'm not offended at all. You are right, my cultural perspective plays a role in my views. But I'm not afraid to talk about it. I just don't like falsely being called a racist. If you are judging me about my race and/or ethnicity that your own biases at work. Sounds like you need to work on you...

I am Caucasian and Jewish.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
How do you separate the culture of a people from their history? You don't.
The problem is that people want to pick and choose what qualifies as 'history.'
That was the impetus behind all 'ethnic studies' classes - the enormous gaps in the historical record that ignored what was happening in Latin America (for example) in favor of what was happening in Europe.

Not to mention the extraordinarily subjective re-telling of American history. Why are there different standards for different parts of the country? Shouldn't all kids who grow up in the US be taught that the Spaniards were in what was to become America before the pilgrims? Growing up in the NE, I certainly wasn't taught anything of the kind and I imagine that fact would be a surprise to many native-born Americans. Santa Fe is celebrating its 400th anniversary this year - for those who don't live in NM or the SW, how many of you knew that?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:45 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Hispanics have the highest dropout rates in the United States. Arizona is among the states with the highest dropout rates. K-12 "ethnic studies" is overkill. Aztecs, conquistadors, and Spanish garrisons can be studied during free time and in college. Why is this time not being devoted to math, science, and literature? Is this the reason we have a preponderance of Hispanic janitors, window-washers, and landscapers? They know all about Cortez and Monteczuma but don't know how to read, write, and mulitply? If I was a betting man, i'd wager that "ethnic studies" classes are considered "Easy A" classes among students. Arizona is doing the right thing by making changes to an obviously failed system.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 05-12-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yes, like all those 'far left' Christians - the Methodists, the Catholics....
Yes but the term has been hijacked and used extensively by communist type organizations as code for you're being screwed by rich white people. Organizations that support radical ideas such as redistribution of wealth, "creating" equality by lowering the status of others or in the extreme property confiscation. All these ideas come under the umbrella of "Social Justice" in these organizations, everyone is equal as opposed to being treated as equals.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:14 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
This is fantastic! Ethnic studies, women studies, and all those other divisive course have no palce in a post-racial society. If you support ethnic studies you must also support white supremicist studies, American manifest destiny studies and other studies that promote White male accomplishments.

I always wondered what kind of a job you can get if you graduate with a degree in one of these ethnic or womens studies. You know what kind of a job you can get? You can be a community organizer, shaking down businesses for money. You can also work for an NGO writing grant proposals to get money from teh government to support "diversity" or "research". None of these thigns are good for the country. Those people who get jobs doing that are nothing more than parasites. Arazona's policies should be put in to affect on the national level. If teh US Supreme Court had been doing its job for the past 50 years then ethnic studies classes would never have been allowed in the first place.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:17 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Arizona bill targeting ethnic studies signed into law - latimes.com

Unreal. What's next? Are they going to ban foreign language classes too?
Not sure how canceling a law that favored one ethnic group over another as an institute is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies