Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:48 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Thats part of the Olympic rules. You cannot compete for two countries surely you must know this.
He only competed for USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Is he the first gay president?
No.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
And only the USA got credit in the medal count.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
He disrespected America. Its downright disgusting.
Only bigots and cretins believe that respect is a zero sum game.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:54 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Only bigots and cretins believe that respect is a zero sum game.
He should not have flown another flag next to the American flag.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Its a reason why each country wears its flag & own symbolism.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Thats part of the Olympic rules. You cannot compete for two countries surely you must know this.

He disrespected America. Its downright disgusting.

Unfortunately it happens far to often. Americans getting snubbed.
I fully respect your opinion.

I don't share it. And the Olympic rules can be changed. Have been changed in the past, will no doubt be changed in the future. Surely you must know this.

I hate that he waved both flags, but when he stood on the podium, it was the American flag that flew above him, the United States that took silver. But I also applaud him, for his great heart and courage that can encompass two countries. I don't feel snubbed when my fellow American, any fellow American, can embrace both his American heritage and another heritage. I'm not disgusted by people acknowledging that the American nation embraces people of multiple heritages. I celebrate who we are today, and I honor our roots. And those roots, America's roots, run throughout the world, all around the globe. The Olympics should be devoted to nurturing our global connections, not about divisiveness.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I fully respect your opinion.

I don't share it. And the Olympic rules can be changed. Have been changed in the past, will no doubt be changed in the future. Surely you must know this.

I hate that he waved both flags, but when he stood on the podium, it was the American flag that flew above him, the United States that took silver. But I also applaud him, for his great heart and courage that can encompass two countries. I don't feel snubbed when my fellow American, any fellow American, can embrace both his American heritage and another heritage. I'm not disgusted by people acknowledging that the American nation embraces people of multiple heritages. I celebrate who we are today, and I honor our roots. And those roots, America's roots, run throughout the world, all around the globe. The Olympics should be devoted to nurturing our global connections, not about divisiveness.
I respect your opinion, but if we want to celebrate all of heritage at the olympics the flags would never end and I would never see a point of watching someone from my country competing for my country. Honestly what would be the point??? How many Russians, Chinese, Mexicans wave the American flag alongside there's at the olympics?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Your opinion is noted. When you win an Olympic medal, don't do it.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
I respect your opinion, but if we want to celebrate all of heritage at the olympics the flags would never end and I would never see a point of watching someone from my country competing for my country. Honestly what would be the point??? How many Russians, Chinese, Mexicans wave the American flag alongside there's at the olympics?
The point would be to see the finest athletes in the world showcasing their talents. The competition for me is not between countries. The competition is between the best. It's watching amazing physical performances. It's seeing humans approaching perfection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies