Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:37 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,744,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I was surprised California, New York, and New Jersey ranked relatively low on corruption. Sometimes I think the real crimes are what's legal. I think the criteral used are too narrowly focused.
Indeed! This isn't a biased presentation. It's reflecting what is legal and what isn't. I have the same issues with Enron that I have with Goldman Sachs present tense. What's technically legal is all too often legalized theft these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 04:41 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,744,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm not shocked that my home state ranked relatively low in that survey. The problem with what goes on in Albany (that's the capital of New York State, for anyone who hasn't got an atlas handy) isn't so much corruption as it is plain, outright incompetence. Yeah, there's a nice side dish of corruption, but our wonderful state government has a lot to get past before corruption is the #1 culprit in these parts.
Fred do not deny the power of deliberately taking a dive in a fight. It's just another version of aggression, passive vs overt. Gov'ts are rendered impotent by legislative body daily. This is no coincidence.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:58 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
That list can't be right. District Of Columbia should be #1.

If you look at the numbers DC is #1 in Public Corruption in the DC government of Mr Fenty. The rest is fairly honest because their are just too many Feds (FBI, DEA, ATF agents crawling around).

Old 05-13-2010, 05:24 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,427,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Looks like some kind of leftist blog out of the dark mind of Hollywood's elites. Just a guess.
Ding--Ding--Ding--

We have a winner.

I imagine the author and his/her cohorts to be T-shirt clad, corduroy jean wearing, obsessive types. 'Democratic Underground'--during the previous administration conservative forums were always on alert for attack by the Trolls of the DU. I looked at it--some unbelievable things were being said--unbelievable things were being said wherever politics was discussed.

'Between the devil and the deep blue sea', rowing a tiny boat with a slow leak--that's where the majorit of us are.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,570,366 times
Il. has to be at least top 10 we only see the surfice of the corruption that gos on there in Il.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,492,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I liked the the pictures
lol, i agree

Old 05-13-2010, 09:53 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,670,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Wow, I thought Illinois would be MUCH higher, if not the highest on the list. Look at some of it's Hall of Fame/Shame members:

I hope you have learned today that bad propaganda about a state being corrupt does not mean it is any worse than other states. I also hope you have learned today that your president actually hasn't been involved in any corruption. Disagreeing with his policies doesn't count. Sorry, kid. So... might want to delete his picture.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,142,455 times
Texas is only 13? I am surprised - we are an Oil State - I thought we would be in the top 3!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,509,183 times
No big surprises about most of the top 10 being former members of the Confederacy. The South has always been particularly corrupt. (And while Oklahoma was not part of the CSA, it is culturally Southern and Bible Belt.)

NJ not being on the top 10 was surprising, but its neighbors PA and DE were the only northeastern states on the top 10. Hawaii being on there was a surprise.

I'm surprised Illinois and Louisiana didn't come in higher.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,267,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Wow, I thought Illinois would be MUCH higher, if not the highest on the list. Look at some of it's Hall of Fame/Shame members:
1. You posted three people, one of whom has been dead for decades.

2. In no way is Barack Obama corrupt, Glenn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

There are so many daily occurrences of corruption in Chicago, you get numb to them after awhile.
Daley,Stroger, Burris, Blago, Madigan, Chicago Alderman who are made mafia members...
Oh, hey, all the people you listed are Democrats, no Bias there.

And it's laughable to Mention Lisa Madigan.

You have no credibility with this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiery23 View Post
hahahahahaha I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the inaccuracy of this list. My home state of Illinois should easily be in the top 5, along with New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and California.

No, this is a "bash the conservative Southern states and ignore places where corruption is most rampant"-list. I mean, c'mon...Chicago is renowned for its corruption and mismanagement of government funds. So many bureaucrats work for Cook County Government offices, which has long had problems of illegal hiring and cronyism. Not to mention the Chicago Public Schools, Chicago Housing Authority, and Chicago Transit Authority, all of which have extremely tainted ethical records (to say the least). Oh, and then we have Springfield that can NEVER produce a balanced budget.

Plus, let's not forget that stinking swamp that is the Chicago political machine has produced such "virtuous" leaders as Rod Blagojevich, Richard M Daley, and Barack Hussein Obama.

This list was an absolute joke. Mississippi, South Carolina, NEBRASKA...all more corrupt than Illinois? Get real.
Just because your ignorance is greater than your knowledge, that doesn't make anything true.

And using Obama's middle name, classy, I can see what you are trying to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies