Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
What a bizarre defense.

In the US, violence against women is a crime and the perpetrators are criminals. In other countries, these same acts are not criminal, but are justified and socially acceptable.
Did you even bother to read the 5 paragraph article?
He was arrested.
If he wasn't a criminal, why was he arrested?
If his act is "socially acceptable" why was he taken into custody?

Talk about bizarre stretching of facts.
You win, hands down.

Why point fingers at other countries when I provided statistics about violence against women in the US that continue, even though the actors are "criminal" - try looking up the rate of conviction for rape. In fact, try looking up the percentage of rapes that aren't even reported. Yeah, that criminal deterrent in the US is working so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Quote:
What a bizarre defense.

In the US, violence against women is a crime and the perpetrators are criminals. In other countries, these same acts are not criminal, but are justified and socially acceptable.
Good post and spot on the money.

cheilgirl never passes up an opportunity to speak out against the US in a "well, how about this?" kind of twisted defense of Islam and its human rights abuses by posting that America is not immune from violent men who rape and beat women, refusing to even acknowledge the fact that in an Islamic country there exists either cultural or state sanctioned violence by men against women....either or both, depending on whether sharia law is in place....and, as you pointed out, women in those countries have no legal recourse for justice.

ETA: The man was arrested because murder is a capitol offense under Islam. Violence against women that does not result in death is acceptable.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 05-14-2010 at 03:29 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 03:48 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Did you even bother to read the 5 paragraph article?
He was arrested.
If he wasn't a criminal, why was he arrested?
If his act is "socially acceptable" why was he taken into custody?

Talk about bizarre stretching of facts.
You win, hands down.

Why point fingers at other countries when I provided statistics about violence against women in the US that continue, even though the actors are "criminal" - try looking up the rate of conviction for rape. In fact, try looking up the percentage of rapes that aren't even reported. Yeah, that criminal deterrent in the US is working so well.
Firstly, I was responding to your posts in response to Honor Killings and violence against women in Islamic countries. Just because violence against women occurs in the US doesn't mean our culture & society is accepting of it. It's the same argument people make with terrorism. When people say "Islamic terrorist" someone comes out of the woodwork and screams Timothy McVeigh.

BTW, Palestinian society as a whole interestingly enough are "relatively" more modern than other Arab muslim countries. Unfortunately, they still live in a culture and society where the fight for modern values & human rights that Western societies enjoy is in direct opposition to cultural and religious beliefs. Maybe Palestinian law was influenced by British and Western influences, but as a society more times than not those laws are not enforced.

Thankfully, there are a few brave Palestinian women who are trying to fight against violence against women within their society, but trust me, they are by no means lauded or supported by Muslim society as a whole. Face it, Muslim society is a culture that accepts Honor Killings. Using stats on violence against women in the US is disingenuous.

FYI - Middle East Report 206: Legalism and Realism in the GulfSheila Carapico

Old 05-14-2010, 08:34 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
FOXNews.com - Palestinian Suspected of Murdering Pregnant Wife Because Ultrasound Showed She Was Having a Girl

Truly horrible. Muslim culture needs more education -- a lot more -- about the intrinsic value of women and girls.

I find it ironic that the Muslims are the darlings of liberals (simply because they are considered the antithesis of Christianity) , yet advocate subjugation of women and death to homosexuals. It shows that liberalism is truely a cult of self hate and destruction.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:36 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I find it ironic that the Muslims are the darlings of liberals (simply because they are considered the antithesis of Christianity) , yet advocate subjugation of women and death to homosexuals. It shows that liberalism is truely a cult of self hate and destruction.
You're wrong. Once again. As always.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
My hackles get raised when people point their finger at other countries when ours is not much better.
Work at home to change inequities before blaming others for the same actions performed here in the US.
Honor killings have happened and continue to happen in the US. Awareness of the problem abroad also raises awareness of the problem of honor killings in the US. It does no good to give a free pass to crimes against women abroad just because our country has problems. I suspect there is not a country on earth where women are safe from rape. Sexual predators will always attack those who they perceive as being more weak.

"God created man and woman. Sam Colt made them equal."

We in the US have the legal means to defend ourselves. We have a justice system to prosecute and punish sexual predators. Our laws do not condone violence agaist women.

On the otherhand, women in or from Islamic societies have no such empowerment. Do you see the difference?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You're wrong. Once again. As always.

Oh.......... can you tell me how?

1. Liberals hate Christianity
2. Liberals are Muslim apologists- witness the general remorse and despair at MSNBC when it was found that the Times Square bomber was not a white male, but a Muslim.
3. Liberals oppose profiling of Muslims in airports, despite the fact that all terrorists are young muslim males.
4. Liberals hate Israel and support Hamas and Islamic Jihad's quest to destroy Israel, as they are a part of the Judao-Christian alliance.
5. Muslims put to death homosexuals
6. Muslims oppose equal rights for women and support thier "rights" as were recognized in about 400 AD.

Liberals seem bent on self destruction, as they support groups that would love to kill them. Is it not ironic that it appears as though the main target of the Muslims is NYC, the heart of liberalism? I am sure that the Muslim terrorists will grant every liberal thier hearfelt wish and will deliver a dirty bomb to kill millions and make NYC uninhabitable for a thousand years. Then liberals will be happy and we will all recognize how correct they were to oppose profiling.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:00 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
But why won't chielgirl respond? She has repeatedly dodged the question. Do you speak for her?
I would not presume to speak for anyone.

Perhaps you could respond to the links I posted. At least one feminist organization in the US has been trying to do something about honor killings, but all the proposals get no support. I would say that's our fault. We are the ones who should be hounding our representatives to support these proposals. Seeing how many of these initiatives have died due to lack of support, I aim to make more of a concerted effort to track them, and lend my voice. I hope all of you who are so outraged about this do the same.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
What do you want to do with the prisons full of not so peaceful christers?
What are you planning to do with them?

Actually, you said you wanted to take the life of this man by yourself.
Man? You mean monster?

And with the non to so peaceful Christians.....most of them believe in Hell and death penalty anyways...

Quote:
It's so easy to point your fingers at other countries and keep a blind eye to your own country's problems and crimes, isn't it?

Does this guy not live in a different country?
Will he not be held to his country's laws? Was he not arrested?
If he lived in the US, he would be held to US laws.

If you're going to label all of the muslims by the minority actions; you must then label all of the christers by the minority actions.

Rape and murder happen daily in our culture.
Rape statistics: Statistics | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network
In 2007, there were 248,300 victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.1 (These figures do not include victims 12 years old or younger.)
Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.

Murder statistics 2009: Murders (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster
24 United States: 0.042802 per 1,000 people

General US crime stats: NationMaster - American Crime statistics

I'm sure none of these were committed by other than muslims.

These are American on American crimes.
How about that Timothy McVeigh? The guy who flew into the IRS building? The Uni-bomber?
They're all muslim, right?
What are you going to do with all of that contempt when the perpetrators are home grown Americans?
The solution is simple. Punish them ALL.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Firstly, I was responding to your posts in response to Honor Killings and violence against women in Islamic countries. I didn't have a post about honor killings or violence against women in Islamic counties, so take it from there.

Just because violence against women occurs in the US doesn't mean our culture & society is accepting of it. It's the same argument people make with terrorism. When people say "Islamic terrorist" someone comes out of the woodwork and screams Timothy McVeigh. Yes, Timothy McVeigh is a terrorist, American born. There are many others. You can't deny that the US has violence, murder and terrorists from right here in the US.

BTW, Palestinian society as a whole interestingly enough are "relatively" more modern than other Arab muslim countries. Unfortunately, they still live in a culture and society where the fight for modern values & human rights that Western societies enjoy is in direct opposition to cultural and religious beliefs. Maybe Palestinian law was influenced by British and Western influences, but as a society more times than not those laws are not enforced.Modern values? In the US we fight against equal rights for gays; we have fought against equal rights for women and blacks. We even fight against what consenting adults get to marry. I don't see us as being too "modern" and ours is a result of the whacko christers, for the most part. I can draw lots of parallels.

Thankfully, there are a few brave Palestinian women who are trying to fight against violence against women within their society, but trust me, they are by no means lauded or supported by Muslim society as a whole. Face it, Muslim society is a culture that accepts Honor Killings. Using stats on violence against women in the US is disingenuous.Yes, violence against women is always bad; yet it continues in our country as well as other countries. We have a responsibility to wipe it out in our own country before we start whining about what others do, as bad as it may be. Who is the US to make the rules for the world? Our system is also bad, albeit in not so violent ways.

FYI - Middle East Report 206: Legalism and Realism in the GulfSheila Carapico
My responses in red.
My point is clean up our own house before using the rest of the world to deflect the focus from what we do/allow in the US.
Work for justice and equality here before we export our "culture."

MOgirl, you've been in my ignore list for a very long time. I don't find your posts worth reading.
Might as well not bother responding to anything I say because unless someone quotes you, I don't read your posts.

LML, they don't punish them all. Most crimes go unreported.
It's not a perfect world and until the US cleans up its own act, we need to shut up about what happens elsewhere.
We've got big problems and need to solve them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies