Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:22 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
We have signs all over our roads like that and NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON working.

You have been fooled bigtime to believe this is happening all over because it is not.

Why repave a street when your town needs far more important things then putting money into paving a road that is probably ok to begin with.
While my post was more tongue-in-cheek, it it nevertheless true. The entire city is being repaved with stimulus money. And believe me, they need it. People are working. Is it a big dent in the unemployment stats? No, but at least these people are off unemployment and have a job through the fall. And in our area, it's something.

Should there be more money for schools et al? Yes of course. But the way the stimulus works is you apply for certain things and some are or aren't accepted.

I'll take my better roads over the old ones that were killing my alignment and costing me more money I don't have and see a couple of hundred of people, many I know, back to work.

Is isn't the answer to the bigger problem. But that's what we got now and it's helping some people. Better than nothing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree. Small business is the backbone of America.
Many talented people lost their jobs and if the opportunity was there (loans, assistance) rather than an unemployment check and a temp "shovel ready" job maybe there would have been a flurry of new small businesses.

Small business tends to keep the money circulating in the community while the Walmarts send the money to HQ and suck the community dry from tax subsidies.

The stimulus could have been done in a different way rather than make government bigger.
We may disagree on many issues but on this issue we are on the same page.

I agree exactly with what you are saying and I have noticed that many people across the political spectrum also agree, even outright Marxists (a Marxist I know said that bailing out heavy metal music venues would have been more productive to the economy than bailing out Wall Street)

Old 05-14-2010, 11:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
We may disagree on many issues but on this issue we are on the same page.

I agree exactly with what you are saying and I have noticed that many people across the political spectrum also agree, even outright Marxists (a Marxist I know said that bailing out heavy metal music venues would have been more productive to the economy than bailing out Wall Street)
There's still time..Obama didn't release all of that stimulus money.
One can only hope the President tries a different method of spending money.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:40 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
While my post was more tongue-in-cheek, it it nevertheless true. The entire city is being repaved with stimulus money. And believe me, they need it. People are working. Is it a big dent in the unemployment stats? No, but at least these people are off unemployment and have a job through the fall. And in our area, it's something.

Should there be more money for schools et al? Yes of course. But the way the stimulus works is you apply for certain things and some are or aren't accepted.

I'll take my better roads over the old ones that were killing my alignment and costing me more money I don't have and see a couple of hundred of people, many I know, back to work.

Is isn't the answer to the bigger problem. But that's what we got now and it's helping some people. Better than nothing at all.
Ridiculous. To the core. You just paid for a $800 billion dollar alignment, and you're happy?

Anyone with half a brain would know that an $800 billion stimulus would do nothing for an economy with $14 TRILLION in output. That's like saying i'll invest an extra penny per month towards a mortgage because I want to pay it off early.

You folks simply have no common sense, do you? Let me guess. You voted for this fool, right?

I fear for America when people like you celebrate over a paved road at the cost of your own kids and grandkids future. All because its "better than nothing."

Old 05-15-2010, 01:38 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Seems to me the stimulus did precisely what it was supposed to do - it kept those governments from having to make cuts last year. It bought time for the economy to recover, which it is now doing by all accounts.

Besides those who wish failure on Obama no matter what, could some of you explain what more you could ask for out of a stimulus?

The radical right calls it a failure just to serve their political agenda, but the general consensus by economists is that it was and is quite successful - a whole lot of people worked a year they otherwise wouldn't have, and basic services were able to be provided by local governments through the worst of this crisis.

It was never meant to last forever. At some point the market has to kick back in.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:06 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Seems to me the stimulus did precisely what it was supposed to do - it kept those governments from having to make cuts last year. It bought time for the economy to recover, which it is now doing by all accounts.
Have you even bothered to avail yourself of the news that the states are STILL drowning in red ink, will be making massive cuts in spending to bridge the deficit gap and will be laying off a lot of people?

And you say the economy is recovering?

The Failed Stimulus put off for a year (at a cost of $1+ TRILLION to the taxpayer) the inevitable. State employee rolls are bloated, wasteful and lavish, at a time when the private sector employment is cutting back drastically.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:13 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Amazing how completely lost some people are.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:34 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Now, we all know the stimulus was supposed to prevent those state budget cuts that would endanger obama's friends in the state public sector unions, like teachers. What many of us said has come to fruition. The stimulus has failed on multiple levels, one being that those taxpayer funds only put off the inevitable.

Why is it so hard for dems/libs to understand the massive growth of government, whether state, local or federal is at the heart of the debt/deficits. We can no longer afford to fund this growth.

Time to pay the piper.

Governors propose big cuts in social services, schools - May. 5, 2010

By some miracle, these "leaders" were able to get by in the past, but instead of cutting back expenses, laying off from the bloated public sector workforce, tightening their belts, they went in the opposite direction. More spending, more hiring.

NJ is a perfect example of bloated rolls of teachers unions. I believe I read where attendance over 5-8 years had only increased by 3%, yet the number of administration/teachers had increased by 30+%. There is no justification for such practices.

What is obama's plan?

You guessed it - let's spend some more money we don't have so he can save his constituency.

FOXNews.com - Obama Administration Makes Emergency Funding Request for Teachers

For political purposes, obviously.

This is not a viable solution, there will be a continual bailout of the public sector workforce, obama allies and supporters.
Every time the federal government creates a new program they take more taxes away from the state and local governments, and then the feds act all gracious and trickle some of that money back to the states.

Every time the federal government goes into debt, by borrowing more money, its nothing more then another tax increase, because we will all have to repay that money thru more taxes. The drones get all drooly-faced over these gifts of money from the feds, but its just a hug tax increase that we will all have to pay back. In the past year we have borrowed so much that our children's children will be paying for taxes every year on the interest of our borrowing.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:49 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,339 times
It will only get worse when Obama Care comes online, that is nothing but an unfunded mandate for every state in the union.

That is also precisely why the amount of states challenging it is at 20 and growing.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Besides those who wish failure on Obama no matter what, could some of you explain what more you could ask for out of a stimulus?

The radical right calls it a failure just to serve their political agenda, but the general consensus by economists is that it was and is quite successful - a whole lot of people worked a year they otherwise wouldn't have, and basic services were able to be provided by local governments through the worst of this crisis.

It was never meant to last forever. At some point the market has to kick back in.

So when the stimulus is gone then what? Time to stop kicking the can down the road, put on our big boy pants and cut spending. We still have 10% unemployment and crushing debt burden. Twice Greece FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies