Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:10 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times

Advertisements

I dont know or care what its like in Canada or Cuba. But I know I stand behind many uninsured people that recieve the same treatment as me for free every time I go to the emergency room. We already have social medicine. Just its not state funded, its funded by us dopes that actually are responsible & have insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 07:31 AM

13 posts, read 40,511 times
If all these people are getting in for free then why are there so many who are dieing? and/or broke from paying all the medical bills? how can you use the word responsible? what do you want them to do cut of there arms to get the insurance? oh wait the cant afford the medical bills to do that in the first place.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:52 AM

539 posts, read 2,102,577 times
O.K. Please correct me if I am wrong and I know you all will. That is what I like about this forum. My concern about UH is the quality that my family would receive if our country were to go that route. I know many Canadians who have told me time and again that the quality of healthcare they receive is sub-par. Not only is the quality an issue but the time they have to wait for procedures is never ending. I am not referring to minor procedures but serious ailments and serious surgery.

Just like eveyone else, I hate that fact that healthcare in the U.S.A. is a business and the bottom line is the most important issue to them but....

I want my family to be able to receive quality healthcare when they need it.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead View Post
If all these people are getting in for free then why are there so many who are dieing? and/or broke from paying all the medical bills? how can you use the word responsible? what do you want them to do cut of there arms to get the insurance? oh wait the cant afford the medical bills to do that in the first place.
Hows any of that my problem?
A responsible person does what they need to do. People die & go broke from medical bills because they didn't pay for insurance when they were healthy.

But, the fact is, if your really broke they will care for you & if you lose your house on the way to getting broke to [pay a portion of your bills thats life.

Nobody owes anyone anything. Nothing is free.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
A responsible person does what they need to do. People die & go broke from medical bills because they didn't pay for insurance when they were healthy.

But, the fact is, if your really broke they will care for you & if you lose your house on the way to getting broke to [pay a portion of your bills thats life.

none if this is your responsibility? so lets say for example your mother cant afford to pay her health insurance and she gets cancer and she cant afford her medical bills are you saying its all right for you not to help her because its not your responsibility? im pretty sure in the declaration of independence it says "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security" and taking a quote from one of my favorite movies national treasure this piece from the declaration means that people who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action. these people cant do anything to help themselves because if they cant afford one the cant afford the other so there sick or dieing or living in fear that this might happen to them. people like you who can afford it need to stand up and say somethings wrong here as well. besides what are you so worried about? you stop paying huge health insurance bills and you tax goes up by what 1%?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:50 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post

You lost me. I think what you saw was either in an emergency care situation or in a county hospital. Hospitals, by law, have to treat anyone seeking emergency care. That's different from long-term care. They will ask patients for insurance information after the treatment. If you have insurance, you will get billed for the emergency treatment. If you don't have insurance, they will kick you out or dump you on the street like they do poor people everyday in Los Angeles and the hospital will get reimbursed by the government.

I took a relative to the emergency room in a Los Angeles based hospital a year ago. My relative shared the room with an illegal alien. The doctor came and treated both of them before asking for insurance information. Afterward, another person came in to do the paper work. It's almost hillarious when they explained the payment options to this illegal alien. The options are:

1. You pay if you are a legal resident.

2. You don't pay if you are 'undocumented'

The guy told them he was 'undocumented' and walked out without seeing any paper work. My relative, on the other hand, had to pay through the insurance she has at work.

The point of this story is we all pay for other people already. Why not pay for each other? That's what UHC is all about. I have private insurance through my job. I go to the doctor less than once a year, yet I dutifully pay the insurance company every month to keep my coverage. This money goes right to the pocket of the insurance company without helping anybody else or even myself later. Here is the sad thing. I would lose this insurance if I lose my job. All the years I paid the insurance company now mean nothing.

Under universal health care, the money I am now paying the insurance company goes to the universal plan in the form of higher taxes. But higher taxes don't scare me at all -- not when it comes to protecting my health. In fact, I would be very happy because my money is going help another fellow American in need of medical care instead of just going into the pocket the insurance companies and make them rich. And I bet my higher tax would still be way less than what I am paying my insurance company right now. But I am also helping myself. I don't have to worry about medical insurance should I lose my job because universal health care would take care of me, and this would not make me a leech because contributions from other members in the system will help take care of me just as my contribution took care of them when they were out of work.

This is possible because we take out the middle men (the insurance companies) and pay ourselves. I know insurance companies are scared of universal health care because it means the days of them robbing us blind will be over. Is it any wonder their powerful lobby groups will do anything to keep universal health care from happening?

Last edited by davidt1; 05-08-2008 at 09:17 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
It's not just about the insurance companies. There's still no shortage of people who fear universal health care as much as the plaque. It's gonna require a lot more people suffering because they can't afford medical care along with a lot more people declaring bankruptcy over medical bills before any reform in America's Health care can come about.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 PM

stillwatertownie i think you may just be right unless someone does another huge thing like Michael Moore i don't think much is going to change to soon especially with people who are avoiding this whole thing because of money or it hasn't effected them yet. also davidt1 i completely agree with you and well said.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 4,668 times
Canada has had universal health care for over 40 years. I really thought the USA would go that route soon after that. My wife is a Canadian/American dual citizen. She loves the Manitoba system. She likes her doctor a lot; I've been with her for some of those visits. Compare that to health care in the USA where "doctors" are often nurse practitioners or physicians assistants. I have seen some appalling ignorance on the part of some of these. Canadian govt negotiates prices of medical care and pharmaceuticals down a lot, and in effect, Americans subsidize Canadian pharmaceuticals in that Americans pay more so the drug companies can make huge profits even if Canadians get them cheaper. Bottom line is: the American Corporate Empire is robbing ordinary Americans blind, and convincing them they can't afford any better. (The current Wisconsin events convince me that the Koch brothers own the USA now. Resistance may be futile.)

Old 10-04-2011, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,048 times
Mikey is going to need the best health care he can get. it seems like he gets fatter every time i see a picture of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies