Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is the political/social atmosphere of a new city?
Its one of the most important things 18 54.55%
it matters, but not that much 13 39.39%
Doesnt matter at all 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:16 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times

Advertisements

When you move to a new city, is the political/social atmosphere important to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 10:28 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
It's one of the most important aspects because you want to fit in. If the population is full of people who don't share your views, even the biggest house with the best view will not be worth buying. I do plenty of research (using city-data of course!) to examine all the places I consider, even when traveling.

Strangely, though I put myself in the bluest part of the spectrum (libertarian and socially liberal, except on immigration), I don't really like being around like-minded people. I find the people of Boulder CO, SF, and NYC to be rude and self-absorbed, while people in small red-state American towns are friendlier and more welcoming--at least until they know my politics! Two Bush supporters have vandalized my car and threatened me because of one of my bumper stickers. So, choosing locations using a social and political yardstick is extremely important if not just for one's sense of safety!

Old 06-09-2007, 10:32 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
I would prefer more similarities than not. Some aspects of an area's political philosophy can translate into high taxes, hostile to business, inefficient social programs etc. and not everyone wants that.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:35 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,560,266 times
Very important. I'm conservative/libertarian, but I enjoy living in liberal areas so I can pick more arguments

Living in an agreeable area is dull. So I live in Greenwich Village.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:42 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,714,689 times
I don't think it really matters, however, it CAN matter if you try to live in San Francisco or Vermont.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:09 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
The less intrusive the govt. is into my day to day life, the less I would think / talk about politics. I'm already getting kind of burned out on it.

Maybe that's good because I'll spend more of my free time on my hobbies.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:23 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
The less intrusive the govt. is into my day to day life, the less I would think / talk about politics. I'm already getting kind of burned out on it.

Maybe that's good because I'll spend more of my free time on my hobbies.
have to consider the social atmosphere as well...

Old 06-14-2007, 10:30 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,700 times
Political atmosphere supercedes social atmosphere for alot of people as they get older. It wasn't long ago I would have had the desire to live in Boston. Now its hard to imagine I'd have that sentiment: no way, no how! When you start to comprehend better how your money is spent and how invasive government is particularly in big cosmopolitan cities, the social life is simply not worth the trade-off. I've got the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned: relative quietness, the ocean 5 minutes away, the mountains less than two hours away, less intrusive government, yet an hour to Boston if I so choose! I've also known alot of people who have a strong urge to move some where like Manhattan, assuming that they will have all the nightlife and all the Broadways shows at their doorstep- only problem is once you live day-to-day, many find out you don't utilize these venues any more than if you lived hours away, whether it be because of expenses, time, or complacency.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:54 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
I have lived in one of the liberal areas of the country- Southern Vermont. I love and adore Vermont eventhough I sometimes felt like I was visiting another planet when politics were discussed. Sometimes I felt looked down-on for my conservative views even by people I considered friends. I regretably had to leave Vermont although I still have family there and visit often. But I did not leave due lack of conservative bretheran!

The bottom line is I would never let the political climate affect my choice of where I want to live. A beautiful natural setting is high on my list of must haves in life, and I find an appreciation of the outdoors and the natural world is one of the things I have in common with those on the left.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:21 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post

Living in an agreeable area is dull. So I live in Greenwich Village.

...this really made me laugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies