Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 05:25 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
On CNN last night they did the baby doll test on white kids. The white kids failed miserably. The "experts" on the panel said part of the problem is that race is rarely discussed in white households. My experience as a white, absolutely true. White people almost never think about the color of their skin. Race is completely unimportant to white people. The only time I ever think about being white is when am around a black person, who I automatically assume hates me for the color of my skin. (a bit of an exaggeration) 95% of my education on racism came from the Tony Brown Show, Oprah, and PBS programs on the topic. What were your childhood experiences with race?
My parents never discussed race in our home but I knew that my dad was somewhat racist. However, my grandparents, aunts and uncles were racists and bigots. I heard all that as a child but even back then I found it hard to believe that they could hate people who had never done anything to them personally. My paternal grandmother detested Mexicans but never said why. My grandfather never said a bad word about anyone.

My maternal grandparents hated everyone who wasn't a WASP. My stepgrandfather was a first generation German and KKK member from Chicago so, yes, I heard a LOT out of him. My grandmother went along with it though and so did their kids. Imagine their disgust and "shame" when their youngest daughter married a Mexican! When they'd rant and rave about "those Mexicans" I'd remind them that they had grandchildren who were Mexicans but then I heard "Oh, that's different". Yeah, right. My stepgrandfather was so outspoken in his hatred of Jews that the FBI actually followed him and his family during WWII. I didn't know this till I was grown and it embarasses me still. My aunt has pics of the monstrous KKK rally in Chicago in the 1920s, just thousands of white sheeted men marching down the street, and she's so proud! Yuck.

I actually thought that my generation had gotten over all that racism and bigotry but I still hear it now and then in my cousins and even my brothers. I have given up saying anything but I lose respect for them every time. Don't ask me how I managed to "escape" but I did and I find it disgusting and despicable. Even as a child I had enough sense to realize it wasn't 'fair' to people and wondered why, if my grandmother couldn't stand Mexicans and Blacks, why did she have one to do all her laundry and a Black housekeeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 05:33 PM

469 posts, read 579,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Sorry to disagree with you, but in my opinion only! those who constantely bring up issues on any Race,

I'm not sure with whom you are disagreeing. I agree with you. What you focus on expands. If you are constantly on the look out for racism, guess what you will constantly see. Racism. It becomes the distorted prism through which you view the world. I don't think that not thinking about racism makes white people racist. I think it does give white people a disadvantage in articulating our beliefs about racism. It also can make us vulnerable to being persuaded that our words or actions are racist when, in fact, there is no racial component at all.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:53 PM

The baby doll test: In the CNN example, children are shown a piece of paper. I think this sheet had 6 children drawn on it. The pictures of the children were identical except for the shade of skin tone depicted on each child, from Nordic white to jet black. The "live" children are asked to point to the drawing of the child who is the smartest, the most liked, the meanest, the one who is always in trouble, etc. White children identified the lighter drawn children as favorable over the darker drawn children. So did the black children, however, some black children had been taught the PC answer and was able to answer the question "correctly." I think of myself before the age of 9, having no real concept of race. I don't know how telling any answer I gave would have been. I think it's normal to think kids who look like you are good. I also think that as a child if you think children who look like you are "bad" that's a problem.

Last edited by Gilpin Girl; 05-15-2010 at 06:03 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 06:03 PM

530 posts, read 780,015 times
My mother had to have the different race discussion with me when I was about 7 or 8 b/c I loved TLC, I thought Chilli was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen so I went to the yard with my blanket to get a "tan" like hers everyday. Mom told me that would never happen (one b/c I am white and two b/c red hair and freckles= zero tanning ability) I did not believe her so I kept on trying. The diffence was explained to me when I met my father around age 12, saw a friend from school (a black girl) waved and I said dad there's my friend and he made a racist comment, I remembered feeling sad and confused by his nastiness and had to get an explanation from my grandmother about why he acted that way.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:04 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
In my early twenties, I went to downtown Denver with a friend ,and coworker, for some event. When we got back to his car, we saw that someone had thrown a rock through the driver side window. My friend was angry at the site of his damaged car. “Damn n*ggers!†he proclaimed. Oh no he didn’t. The moment those ugly words left his mouth I began screaming at him demanding an explanation for such ugly racism. I was screaming at him the way my sister had been screaming at my grandpa. I don't remember ever being so offended. People on the street corner were staring. After I calmed down, I had the most honest and complete conversation on racism with this man in my entire life combined. It was about seven hours long. It was also the only real conversation about racism I have ever had in my life. White people just don’t talk about race.
Great story. Just wanted to highlight this last segment as I think a lot of what allows racism to flourish is the very fact that it usually goes unanswered by those in the company of the one spouting the racism. Some are afraid to speak up, some are indifferent, some might even agree with it.

But in the end not speaking out against racism for whatever reason only amounts to its tacit approval. In fact, in same-race company there is usually the assumption that everyone in company believes the same way. It is only when people brave enough like yourself are willing to show their disapproval of casual racist remarks that racists will no longer be able to find safe haven in same-race company.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Never came up in my family.

I watched this last night on cnn also. Only thing on tv at the airport. Pretty much all the kids had the same discrimination tendencies regardless of their own color.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:15 PM

683 posts, read 428,840 times
My parents never really talked about race and because I wasn't raised in a victim mentality household we never really had a reason to blame a certain race for anything. Since that time any feelings I have towards a certain race of people have been created by my own personal experiences throughout life.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:25 PM

442 posts, read 965,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm 46
My parents were somewhat racist, although with my dad in the Air Force we co-mingle in base housing and I really got along with everyone.

My Grand Parents were racist to the bone.

I'm raising my daughter not to judge anyone by their looks, but their inner soul.

I am 49 and my Dad was in the Navy and very racist, like you said about your grandparents, I think my grandparents taught him that.

I am raising my son not to be, it is not even discussed. A person is judged by who they are not what color they are.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
My parents never really talked about race and because I wasn't raised in a victim mentality household we never really had a reason to blame a certain race for anything. Since that time any feelings I have towards a certain race of people have been created by my own personal experiences throughout life.
What are those experiences?

Old 05-15-2010, 06:31 PM

295 posts, read 320,494 times
Why don't we do the test on BLACK CHILDREN? I bet they will fail even further even though they made it to the top!

What gets me, Black athletes are making MILLIONS OF DOLLARS not pesos but dollars, AMERICAN DOLLARS a year to play a sport, they have to abide by their UNION CONTRACT...but they violate the drug policy, carry weapons, and still commit the same crimes and they still continue to play and my outrage is, these SCUMBAGS should be fired as any other AMERICAN WORKER but the UNION seems to be more protective but I see why, MONEY!!!

My race question is, shouldn't we all be proud of our heritage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies