Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,791,451 times

Advertisements

Cops that stop black guys for BWI won't take kindly to finding weapons on them. Just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 12:06 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,198,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
Yeah, because never in history has a black man ever owned a gun. I guess they're shooting each other in Detroit, Chicago and LA with blow darts or something...
To be sure, plenty own guns. Very few of them would think of having a gun on their person in the event they are stopped by police for any reason. As I've hinted at before, enough have been killed by police for much less.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:01 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,322,115 times
I once thought my vehicle was stolen...I approached a cop to tell him 'someone stole my vehicle'...they got mad at me and shooved me aside...this cop related to me like I was some sub-human creature....

Cops scare me...as a law abiding non-white citizen...cops scare me...

I know they don't get out of the academy with that attitude...but sometime between graduating the academy...and working the streets...some develop a real 'hardened attitude'...and loose the ability to make distinquions between ordinary citizens...and 'bad guys'...

And there are real bad guys out there...there are some real scum walking the streets who should be locked up...no doubt...I just don't like being lumped in with those scum do to how a cop percieves my skin tone...

My skin tone I can't change or regulate...my character I can...

Most cops I encounter...after we talk and they hear my dialect...have a total change of heart...but it's just that initial contact that scares me...cause you never know how their going to react...

And the only contact I'v had with cops lately is for riding my bike without a headlight at night...so they'll stop me and frisk me...run my license, see that I have a perfect, stellor civic record...make small talk, and then send me on my way...

But I always ask myself...what if in any of those instances I had had a concealed weapon on me...with a carry permit...how differently the encounters would have gone...

That's why I just don't see the need to carry...due to the attention I seem to get from cops when out at night on my bike...

It's funny though...as soon as they hear me talk...they recognize that I'm not from this area...and sound more like some geek from Yale...

Old 05-16-2010, 02:17 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,500,522 times
Seriously. Look up "self-fulfilling prophecy."

If you keep thinking you're going to be harassed by police--that you have that mindset--you're going to be acting in a fashion where being harassed is the result and not the cause. Both consciously and sub consciously you'll be acting in a fashion that makes people act negatively towards you because you're acting negatively towards them.

And enough with the psychological projection. Your ridiculous fears that people are going to "snap and kill their wives" for cheating are 1. entirely unfounded (case studies show people don't "just snap") and 2. you can kill said wife with anything. A pillow. A knife. Her stilettos.

Don't want to carry? Fine. You are solely and entirely responsible for your personal safety. LEOs are not required--by law--to protect any individuals. At the least know how to defend yourself.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,023,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post

But that aside...as a male of color...in this society...would you ever feel safe carrying around a hand gun, legally with a permit?
I am and I have for over 20 years.

Quote:
I've seen how hysterical cops get when they discover guns on a law abiding Euro-American citizen...how much more hysterical would they get over a Afro-American male with a carrying permit and handgun on person...??
The key to solving that problem is to remove the word discover from the equation. If you are stopped and there is the slightest possibility that your weapon may become an issue, nicely and politely inform the officer(s) that you have a permit to carry, which will immediately lead to the question, "do you have a gun on you now?" From that point listen carefully and follow their instructions as given. They will get the gun, do what they think is necessary to make it safe (which can be comic relief just by itself - be careful and don't laugh though).

Personally, I have found it to a great way to get out of speeding tickets, the cops usually get so consumed by the issue of the weapon and checking the permit that they forget what they stopped you for in the first place.

Just one word of warning, never ever hold a person at gun point while waiting for the police to arrive, especially if that person is white!

You don't want to place them in the position of guessing who the bad guy is, the odds aren't in your favor.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:53 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,514,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
As a law abiding non-white male...would you ever apply for a concealed weapons permit?

For what? If I needed to carry, I would carry with or without a piece of paper.

Those who have CWPs are now registered with authorities as being gun owners. If there was ever to be a roundup and confiscation of guns, they would know where to start looking.

The gendarmes appreciate the information, too. Don't doubt it for a minute.

South Carolina Law"don't get caught

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

Old 05-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Seriously. Look up "self-fulfilling prophecy."

If you keep thinking you're going to be harassed by police--that you have that mindset--you're going to be acting in a fashion where being harassed is the result and not the cause. Both consciously and sub consciously you'll be acting in a fashion that makes people act negatively towards you because you're acting negatively towards them.

And enough with the psychological projection. Your ridiculous fears that people are going to "snap and kill their wives" for cheating are 1. entirely unfounded (case studies show people don't "just snap") and 2. you can kill said wife with anything. A pillow. A knife. Her stilettos.

Don't want to carry? Fine. You are solely and entirely responsible for your personal safety. LEOs are not required--by law--to protect any individuals. At the least know how to defend yourself.
Ok, what's with all this self fulfilling prophecy stuff???

I can't change human nature...people are what they are...and I've been the focus of other peoples bias since the age of 5....

It doesn't matter how friendly or nice I act...or well behaved I am...if your a person of color...your just automatically looked at suspiciously by society at large...even by other people of color...

Once people get to know me...they 'love' me...but it's just that initial contact that is scary...cause in that initial contact...their relating to you as a 'monster'...and not a human....

Old 05-16-2010, 04:51 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,500,522 times
Quote:
Ok, what's with all this self fulfilling prophecy stuff???

I can't change human nature...people are what they are...and I've been the focus of other peoples bias since the age of 5....

It doesn't matter how friendly or nice I act...or well behaved I am...if your a person of color...your just automatically looked at suspiciously by society at large...even by other people of color...

Once people get to know me...they 'love' me...but it's just that initial contact that is scary...cause in that initial contact...their relating to you as a 'monster'...and not a human....
If you're approaching someone believing that they are going to act or behave negatively towards you, you're going to exude--either consciously or subconsciously--behavior that will make people act negatively towards you.

The solution? Stop thinking people hate you.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:56 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,216,373 times
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if a ballistic vest would be better in such a situation...cause if someones going to shoot you...they very rarely announce it before hand...and or already have their weapon drawn on you...so unless your a quick draw...(like the wild west men)...how would having a permit save you at that moment??
first a vest does not protect you from a head shot.
If i am surprised it would make little difference if a carried.
If i was in a cafeteria like Lufkin or a student in Virginia and had the chance to defend myself I would.
Better to have it and not ever need it, than get in the situation where you need it to save your life and do not have it

Old 05-16-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
first a vest does not protect you from a head shot.
If i am surprised it would make little difference if a carried.
If i was in a cafeteria like Lufkin or a student in Virginia and had the chance to defend myself I would.
Better to have it and not ever need it, than get in the situation where you need it to save your life and do not have it
Did you know that most street criminals are very terrible aims...you could almost walk up to one and disarm them as they are firing...or simply move around...most do not have the skills to shoot at a moving target...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies