Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,502,591 times

Advertisements

"After 40 years, the United States' war on drugs has cost $1 trillion and hundreds of thousands of lives, and for what? Drug use is rampant and violence even more brutal and widespread."

"This week President Obama promised to "reduce drug use and the great damage it causes" with a new national policy that he said treats drug use more as a public health issue and focuses on prevention and treatment."

Another failed republican initiated "war" President Obama has to clean up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:34 PM

U.S. drug war has met none of its goals - Security- msnbc.com

Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,722,524 times
Every president for the past 40 years has supported this useless war. You are wrong to blame it on Republicans. And Obama has done NOTHING to stop the war.

The war on drugs will never be won. It's just like prohibition of alcohol in the 20s..... But we have a huge element in our country who must tell everyone else how to live their lives..... both idiot Democrats and idiot Republicans.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:05 PM

471 posts, read 806,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post

Yeah, Obamao is going to clean that up alright bwahahaha In three years we will be drug free.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Every president for the past 40 years has supported this useless war. You are wrong to blame it on Republicans. And Obama has done NOTHING to stop the war.

The war on drugs will never be won. It's just like prohibition of alcohol in the 20s..... But we have a huge element in our country who must tell everyone else how to live their lives..... both idiot Democrats and idiot Republicans.
I didn't "blame" it on republicans, I simply stated that they started this failed war and other failed wars. That's just the fact of it.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 PM

26,202 posts, read 48,994,276 times
It was 40 years ago when Richard Nixon, GOP, signed the "Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970."

Richard Nixon, GOP, in on record for having coined the term "war on drugs" in 1969.

So yes, we can credit the GOP with being the primary parent of this long-running mess, but it continued through both GOP and DEM administrations, probably since eliminating it would be a sign of defeat and whoever eliminates it would get called all sorts of names.

This year the War on Drugs hits its mid-life crisis with lots of unmet expectations. Maybe we need to refocus.

Too many gullible / foolish people will risk their life and health to get high or to escape the harsh reality of their existence. I feel sorry for them and wish we could get those users to stop. I would gladly jail those who prey on the weak.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:17 PM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
The war on drugs technically started much earlier when the progressives (particularly FDR) targetted drug use. For instance, the tax stamp on marijuana (1937).

Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,988,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"After 40 years, the United States' war on drugs has cost $1 trillion and hundreds of thousands of lives, and for what? Drug use is rampant and violence even more brutal and widespread."

"This week President Obama promised to "reduce drug use and the great damage it causes" with a new national policy that he said treats drug use more as a public health issue and focuses on prevention and treatment."

For god's sake, just LEGALIZE drugs. I'm sick of hearing about giving millions of dollars to colombia and mexico for supposedly that purpose. I'd be curious to know how much those gov'ts actually use to fight drugs and how much goes into the politicos' pockets.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:34 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,962,472 times
THAT, people, is exactly why I (and others) advocate legalizing ALL drugs. Make them available by prescription to anybody over the age of 18 who wants them. TAX them heavily.
I have never used the junk (other than tobacco, and I quit that because I refuse to pay the taxes), and I never intend to use any of it.
But, those who want it, let them have it. I don't care. IMO, anybody who wants to poison themselves has an inalienable right to do so.
Sure, there would have to be controls. DUI is already illegal nearly everywhere. It applies to drugs as well as alcohol. ENFORCE IT!
Make it a mandatory death sentence for selling drugs to anybody under the age of 18. Publicize it, then do it. Even if it is a 10 year old selling to an 8 year old. Upon conviction, waste'em.
Harsh? y'dam betcha! Stop it in its tracks!
Along the same lines, make DUI something you just do NOT want to do!
First offense; loss of drivers license for one year, and 6 months in jail.
Second offense; loss of license for 2 years, one year in jail.
Third offense; loss of license for life in every state and Canadian province, 5 years in jail, confiscation of the vehicle that was driven when the offence took place (no matter who owns it), forbidden from EVER owning another vehicle.
Fourth offense; 20 years in jail for the driver, 2 years in jail for the vehicle owner (unless the vehicle was reported stolen), confiscation of the vehicle (unless the vehicle was reported stolen).
Vehicular homicide while DUI; life in prison.
Note that nowhere does it say anything about probation, parole, or time off for good behavior!

Let them drink, shoot up, snort, smoke, chew, whatever it takes to put them in la-la land! As long as they leave the rest of us alone, I don't care. If they so much as spit on the sidewalk, lock them up.
I have had it with the junkies. We have spent too many lives and too many dollars trying to protect them from themselves. enough!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 PM

745 posts, read 1,437,319 times
Hey Frozenyo- did you just take a thread from the Great Debates Forum two days ago (created by someone else) and post it here?

//www.city-data.com/forum/great...l-failure.html

What is up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies