Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 AM

355 posts, read 911,757 times

Advertisements

I've seen a # of post on hear about how all black people want are entitlements and special treatments, what % of BLACK VOTERS, AGAIN VOTERS recevies any form of welfare/entitlment? Also people do know these are available for all members of the poor correct? Also speaking of handouts, do you know the largest company in America (GE) paid no income tax last year? none? that sounds like a handout. Also speaking of entitlemtn programs, how about SSI or medicare, how many old folks (repulican and democrat) want those to stop? exactly it seems we are all making generalizations here. But when i see numerous posts that simply say, well we'd like the black vote if they all weren't beggin moochers it kinda makes me wonder what people really think. Republicans say they think everyone is equal which is not truely what they believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
I've seen a # of post on hear about how all black people want are entitlements and special treatments, what % of BLACK VOTERS, AGAIN VOTERS recevies any form of welfare/entitlment? Also people do know these are available for all members of the poor correct? Also speaking of handouts, do you know the largest company in America (GE) paid no income tax last year? none? that sounds like a handout. Also speaking of entitlemtn programs, how about SSI or medicare, how many old folks (repulican and democrat) want those to stop? exactly it seems we are all making generalizations here. But when i see numerous posts that simply say, well we'd like the black vote if they all weren't beggin moochers it kinda makes me wonder what people really think. Republicans say they think everyone is equal which is not truely what they believe
I see why you say that, but perhaps it's because the question presupposes that the government is supposed to find something to do for each particular group.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:03 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
Exactly only about 25.9% of Black Americans live below the poverty line. The overwhelming majority of adult Black Americans get up and got to work to make a living.

If you look up the makeup of low income families in America by race here is what you would find.

42% of Low Income Families are White

30% of Low Income Families are Hispanic

21% of Low Income Families are Black

6% of Low Income Families are of other racial groups.

See page 5 of this link:

Raicial and Ethnic Disparities of Low Income Families

Even if you completely eliminated every low income Black American family you would still be left with 79% of the problem of low income families in this country.

The ideal of addressing poverty are strictly a problem with Black Americans is totally illogical in the face of the facts. The only reason it is brought up is to reinforce racist stereotypes and to promote bigotry.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 AM

446 posts, read 649,397 times
As long as the Republicans are for draining inner cities in favor of suburbs, being the party of regressive racial policies, and show coldness toward the urban poor, Black people will continue to be 90% Democrats, including yours truly. As for the 2-3% of Black people that are Republicans, I don't think they are playing with a full deck, if you know what I mean.

In other words, it's the Republican policy that's a turn-off to most Black people, not that they ain't reaching out enough.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Exactly only about 25.9% of Black Americans live below the poverty line. The overwhelming majority of adult Black Americans get up and got to work to make a living.

If you look up the makeup of low income families in America by race here is what you would find.

42% of Low Income Families are White

30% of Low Income Families are Hispanic

21% of Low Income Families are Black

6% of Low Income Families are of other racial groups.

See page 5 of this link:

Raicial and Ethnic Disparities of Low Income Families

Even if you completely eliminated every low income Black American family you would still be left with 79% of the problem of low income families in this country.

The ideal of addressing poverty are strictly a problem with Black Americans is totally illogical in the face of the facts. The only reason it is brought up is to reinforce racist stereotypes and to promote bigotry.

your percentages really don't tell the whole story, right? i mean, there is a fairly large difference in the number of white's, black's, "hispanic's", etc. that populate the USA...

so when you say 42% of low income families are white, we should also look at the percentage that makes up of the entire white race, right??

if you have a larger percentage of one particular race that is low income based on the entire number of that race, then i believe that's what needs to be addressed.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
As long as the Republicans are for draining inner cities in favor of suburbs, being the party of regressive racial policies, and show coldness toward the urban poor, Black people will continue to be 90% Democrats, including yours truly. As for the 2-3% of Black people that are Republicans, I don't think they are playing with a full deck, if you know what I mean.

In other words, it's the Republican policy that's a turn-off to most Black people, not that they ain't reaching out enough.

how's that Democratic party working out for ya?? seriously, i believe your dissenfranchised...just my opinion though.

just want to add, that i'm no Republican either...

Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
your percentages really don't tell the whole story, right? i mean, there is a fairly large difference in the number of white's, black's, "hispanic's", etc. that populate the USA...

so when you say 42% of low income families are white, we should also look at the percentage that makes up of the entire white race, right??

if you have a larger percentage of one particular race that is low income based on the entire number of that race, then i believe that's what needs to be addressed.
My point is that is the issue poverty or just poverty as it related to Black Americans?

And if the issue is poverty as it relates to Black Americans then why? It's a statistical fact that Black Americans have higher rates of poverty than other groups. There are a variety of historical and cultural reasons for that.

But it's also a fact that the poverty rate for Black Americans has declined by over 50% in the last 50 years. And despite the fact that population of Black Americans has increased by over 100% in the last 50 years the number of Black Americans living below the poverty level has basically remain flat. If anything it proves that if Black Americans hadn't face over 250 years of slavery and another 100 years of segregation and pervasive discrimination the poverty rate would be much lower.

So again why this focus on poverty amongst Black Americans when the long term trend is that poverty is decreasing, the Black middle class has been increasing and if you look at Census Bureau Data over 75% of the people living below the poverty line ARE NOT BLACK AMERICANS?

Making poverty a race issue won't solve poverty. But I guess that doesn't do you any good if your agenda is to promote racial stereotypes and spread bigotry.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
My point is that is the issue poverty or just poverty as it related to Black Americans?

And if the issue is poverty as it relates to Black Americans then why? It's a statistical fact that Black Americans have higher rates of poverty than other groups. There are a variety of historical and cultural reasons for that.

But it's also a fact that the poverty rate for Black Americans has declined by over 50% in the last 50 years. And despite the fact that population of Black Americans has increased by over 100% in the last 50 years the number of Black Americans living below the poverty level has basically remain flat. If anything it proves that if Black Americans hadn't face over 250 years of slavery and another 100 years of segregation and pervasive discrimination the poverty rate would be much lower.

So again why this focus on poverty amongst Black Americans when the long term trend is that poverty is decreasing, the Black middle class has been increasing and if you look at Census Bureau Data over 75% of the people living below the poverty line ARE NOT BLACK AMERICANS?

Making poverty a race issue won't solve poverty. But I guess that doesn't do you any good if your agenda is to promote racial stereotypes and spread bigotry.
no, i don't look at poverty as a race issue...solely a poverty issue. but, i think it's important to look at where the poverty lies in order to attempt to correct the situation...

and when i say, "where the poverty lies", i'm thinking where geographically...as in, where are the poverty hot spots on the map. locate those hot spots, and identify the problem areas causing said poverty.

i'm not nearly smart enough to solve these problems, but i would guess that in order to attempt to fix the problems, one would need to dissect the information down to the very smallest denominators, and work your way outward.

in regards to this thread, i believe there's two basic school of thoughts...

one is, the democrats promise the poverty stricken folks that their plan will get them out of poverty, with entitlements and welfare.

the other is, the republican's promise that their economic plan will eventually give poverty stricken folks a sense of ownership, that they can build themselves out of poverty.

the problem i see is, no matter who's been in "control", i haven't seen too much change with the poverty stricken folks...just empty promises by both sides...which says to me, "i need your vote, then after you vote for me, i'll be on my way".

Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy1427 View Post
and what exactly should republicans do to try to get the black and hispanic vote? offer handouts and amnesty? i think i would keep doing what i am doing if that is the case.
What handouts and amnesty? Who is getting handouts that some other group isn't getting? And what amnesty? You mean the one Reagan signed back in the 80's?

Anyway....no party should try to appeal to any racial group as a whole. They should simply stand for what's right, and let the chips (a.k.a. votes) fall where they may.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:54 AM

527 posts, read 467,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Correction. They don't pander and over-promise JUST to get the minority vote.

The conservative platform is focused on less government intervention in our daily lives. The leftist platform is "if we can make them dependent on us, they'll have to vote for us".

Difference.
Except for the desire to legislate religious beliefs into our laws -to get government involved in our daily lives only when it conforms to conservative desires- to have those that disagree with them on social issues tow the line by making laws to force this to happen-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies