Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:02 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
The will continue to vote Democrat as long as the Republicans are the party of exclusion, run right-wing whackos like Sarah Palin, and offer no real alternative.
No. The people in the inner cities haven't been exposed to the political life outside the bubble they live in, and follow the path created for them by their leaders, who usually are Democrat. Also, why should they switch parties all of the sudden when no Democrat nor Republican will be any different from each other?

You mention Palin as as right-wing wacko as being a reason for blacks not to vote for Republican, and fail to notice that it's under Obama that blacks have the highest rate of unemployment in recent years.

What have Democrats done for black Americans? Nothing more than the Republicans have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 01:06 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The well educated black community doesn't vote democrat. I think the key is education. Once they realize the left panders to them with false promises, they shift right.

The left has done more harm to the black community than good by suppression instead of giving them a helping hand up to learn how to help themselves. The left needs to keep them dependent upon them (with various welfare and assistance programs) or they lose the vote.
Simply wrong. Well educated blacks also vote heavily Democratic. Look at some higher income areas of Prince George's Maryland, Wheatley Heights NY, etc. If anything well educated and higher income blacks are even a stronger Democratic contingency because their turnout #'s are higher.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:10 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Hey thanks for asking! Great subject.

March 22

Overriding President Reagan's veto, the Democratically controlled Congress passes the Civil Rights Restoration Act, which expands the reach of non-discrimination laws within private institutions receiving federal funds.

Nov. 22
After two years of debates, vetoes, and threatened vetoes, President Bush reverses himself under pressure from Democrats and signs the Civil Rights Act of 1991, strengthening existing civil rights laws and providing for damages in cases of intentional employment discrimination.

June 23
In the most important affirmative action decision since the 1978 Bakke case, the Supreme Court (5–4) the liberal Democratic appointees upholds the University of Michigan Law School's policy, ruling that race can be one of many factors considered by colleges when selecting their students because it furthers "a compelling interest in obtaining the educational benefits that flow from a diverse student body."

January
Senator Edward Kennedy (D-MA) introduces the Civil Rights Act of 2008. Some of the proposed provisions include ensuring that federal funds are not used to subsidize discrimination, holding employers accountable for age discrimination, and improving accountability for other violations of civil rights and workers' rights.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:13 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Additionally Democrats just passed Health Care Reform that will add 30 Million Americans to programs that will provide them health insurance! This greatly helps black Americans who have higher rates of not having health insurance.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:17 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
[quote=the mean fish;14198995]It's clear that Democrats own the black vote except for a small minority of black people who have become aware of the caged vote system that they've become a part of. When it's election time Democrats always pander to the black community and inject race into the process just to make sure blacks remember who they're supposed to vote for but why does it work? Why do black people continue to vote for politicians who have done nothing but enslave them for the last few decades? I'm not in any way saying that any other political party has done any better, I just wonder why blacks choose Democratic politicians on a regular basis. I fully understand that with Obama they were pretty much forced to vote for the man or be seen as a race traitor because of his perceived skin color but in other years that hasn't been the case.

Why do the Democrats have the plantation vote in their pocket and what will it take to enlighten the black community to the truth about how they're used and abused by these Democrats they love?

[/quote]

Why do Whites (especially C-Ders) feign concern for Black people in America?

Old 05-16-2010, 01:20 PM

507 posts, read 678,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
Ok, now show me where the Democrats have done anything about those issues or how they've done better than any other group. I guess what I'm getting at is you align yourself with Democrats because of your beliefs and that's exactly why most black people vote Dem but WHY? What have they done to keep you around if those are things that are important to you? I assume you voted for Obama like the overwhelming majority of black people did yet he hasn't kept his campaign promises about DADT, he hasn't ended either of the wars you're against, he hasn't changed anything about our drug policy or environmental laws and he's surely not fiscally conservative. I dont' understand how the Democrats keep people like you hanging on, is it because they're the best option out of 2 options that both suck?
In all seriousness, while I admit that Democrats sometimes fail at holding to their platform (and I believe Republicans do this as well, paying tons of money for two wars is hardly being fiscally conservative), this is the party that has at least pledged to do something about these issues. Really, do you suggest that I run off to the Republican party? I am quite frankly pissed, that Obama has done nothing about DADT at this point, but he has at least promised to repeal it. Republicans hold the complete opposite stance so of course I can't support that.

I have always maintained that I follow the party that I most closely associate with my beliefs. If another major party came along and did a better job of that than Democrats, I would not hesitate to move on.

Last edited by 17th Street; 05-16-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 01:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The well educated black community doesn't vote democrat.
And only truly uneducated white person would say such a stupid thing.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Additionally Democrats just passed Health Care Reform that will add 30 Million Americans to programs that will provide them health insurance! This greatly helps black Americans who have higher rates of not having health insurance.
Read the history about the Civil Rights Act of I964. You will notice that 16 or more Southern Democrats opposed the bill. The Democrats held a majority large enough to pass it, but those 16 Democrats turned the tables. The majority whip had a meeting with the Republicans in Congress, and with their help passed the bill. So, the bill passed with the help of both the Democrats and Republicans, although a great number of Democrats opposed it.
http://www.congresslink.org/civilrights/1964.htm

Your post about all the acts Democrats passed (above) is quite silly considering that the Democrats had a majority in Congress for over 40 years prior to 1994. They could have passed anything they wanted, just like they could have passed Obamacare a few weeks after being brought to the floor in Congress. But you saw how long it took for the Democrats to pass Obamacare, and the reasons had nothing to do with the Republicans opposing it since the Democrats had a super majority.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-16-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
This is the worst thing the Democrats have ever passed, and you will see the result of it in the upcoming elections. Don't you realize that a majority of Americans opposed the passing of Obamacare?

Old 05-16-2010, 02:13 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Quote:
If you were a fish you would have been caught long ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies