Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:03 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Its a very important city for the USA politically, economically, and culturally. I never understood why republicans hate it so much. No city represents America as much as NYC.

Source: Conservatives vs. New York City | The Atlantic Wire
The last I checked, the Bronx and Queens are NYC, too. Isn't the issue over-representation rather than NYC? In other words, if a bunch of justices hailed from Los Angeles or Detroit, the issue would be the same?

For a bunch of libs, diversity is everything except when it involves you guys and diversity of ideas. Then you guys become intolerant...and insufferable.

The real dividing point in this country is now and always has been urban versus suburban/rural perspective. Ms Sherrod pointed out this week, she realized a poor white farmer and a poor black farmer have a lot in common. In my opinion, it's probably a lot more in common than a black person in an urban area and a black farmer or even a poor black person in an urban area and a poor black person in a rural area. Let's hear it for some geographic urban/suburban/rural diversity. We certainly don't get it in national media coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 AM

217 posts, read 554,119 times
What a strange topic. You dont think any Repubs are making money in NYC? You would be 100% wrong. They love money just as Liberals do.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:07 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Its a very important city for the USA politically, economically, and culturally. I never understood why republicans hate it so much. No city represents America as much as NYC.

Source: Conservatives vs. New York City | The Atlantic Wire
I think this whole article is kinda BS.

The Republicans had their convention in NYC a couple years ago. NYC hasn't elected a Democrat for mayor in over 20 years.

There are a lot of liberals in NYC, but there are also a lot of conservatives. It's a city of extremes.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:44 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
My wife an I lived and worked in NYC for five years in the 1980's.

What I did like about New York was the incredible variety in the city. It literally has everything from Apple markets to Zither makers. I just could not live there. I could simply not handle the pace even though the living was very convenient and our place was very quiet. We would have made a lot more money if I could have taken the strain.

I jumped at a job that brought us back to New England after a project at the Alamos Lab in New Mexico was canceled by the Regan administration.

I have no idea why Republicans hate the Big Apple. Many of their richest members live in the City because they are the only people that can afford Central Park West.

Limousine Liberal was a term coined in the late '60s to describe wealthy Democrats from such places as the Upper West side and CPW.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:55 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
I hate the practice of saying "Why do...." stating an the author's personal opinion as if it is a fact. Republicans do not all hate NYC. They are supposedly the party of Business, and NYC is home to more large businesses than any other. Sure, there are more poor people in New York. Sure, there is more mass transit, which some, though not all, Republicans call wasteful and evil. But a Republican could get back at you by asking: "Why do Democrats hate farmers?" or other such claptrap.

Last edited by pvande55; 07-25-2010 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: add quotations

Old 07-25-2010, 07:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
As for other states building roads in the 1930's...I hope you're aware the federal government funded a very large portion of it, and paid the laborers (CCC, WPA, etc.).

And then in the 1950's when the massive highway projects began, with federal funding, Alaska did not see any of that.

Those are two eras of massive federal infrastructure spending Alaska did not share in.
Alaska didn't become a state until January 1959 -- how could a non state share in federal infrastructure spending?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I hate the practice of saying "Why do...." stating an the author's personal opinion as if it is a fact. Republicans do not all hate NYC. They are supposedly the party of Business, and NYC is home to more large businesses than any other. Sure, there are more poor people in New York. Sure, there is more mass transit, which some, though not all, Republicans call wasteful and evil. But a Republican could get back at you by asking: "Why do Democrats hate farmers?" or other such claptrap.
I'm sick of it too. Opinions stated as fact is way too common an occurrence on this board.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,566 times
Duh.....Liberals are better at making cities when not suppressed by rural state legislators. Hence New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston etc. Some of the best cities in the world, because their liberal cities in liberal states. Its plain to see that liberals love cities.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Duh.....Liberals are better at making cities when not suppressed by rural state legislators. Hence New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston etc. Some of the best cities in the world, because their liberal cities in liberal states. Its plain to see that liberals love cities.
omg you have no idea how wrong you are. The New York State government is one of the most evil, corrupt governments in the free world. Look at my location.... I know what I'm talking about.

And I disagree that New York is a "liberal state." For one thing, New York is one of the top states for immigrants. And immigrants bring old world values and strict adherence to religion with them a lot of times.

There are a lot of liberals in New York City and New York State, and they are more liberal than liberals in most of the rest of the country. But the country mistakes this and assumes the entire state is liberal. Our liberals are extremely liberal, but that doesn't mean we have no conservatives.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I don't ahte NYC ;I just don't think its that important to most people really.It has little to do with most peoples evryday life really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies