Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:32 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,293 times

Advertisements

Its a very important city for the USA politically, economically, and culturally. I never understood why republicans hate it so much. No city represents America as much as NYC.

Quote:
So when conservatives attack Kagan for her New York City roots, arguing that this disqualifies her from serving on the Supreme Court, are they using "New York" as shorthand for the Upper West Side? Or are they really so misguided as to forget the other three New York justices?
Source: Conservatives vs. New York City | The Atlantic Wire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 03:41 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,991 times
I don't "hate" NYC, I have a general negative perception of it because it is an epicenter of liberalism. I really really dislike Mayor Bloomberg (even if he's a Republican..yeah right). I disrespect New Yorkers for going out of their way to elect him three times. The way he handled the bomb incident, guessing it was someone angry at the health care bill, has pushed him over the edge to become one of my most disliked politicians in American history.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:42 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I don't "hate" NYC, I have a general negative perception of it because it is an epicenter of liberalism. I really really dislike Mayor Bloomberg (even if he's a Republican..yeah right). I disrespect New Yorkers for going out of their way to elect him three times. The way he handled the bomb incident, guessing it was someone angry at the health care bill, has pushed him over the edge to become one of my most disliked politicians in American history.
IDK, I think SF is the epicenter of liberalism.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:45 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
I thought that the epicenter of liberalism was San Fransisco and Los Angeles.

New York is the center of "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" and the land where countless immigrants came here, worked hard, and made their way.

I never understood the "Real America" argument either, but not all Republicans think that way, lets be honest.

Just the stupid Republicans think that way

Old 05-16-2010, 03:45 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
IDK, I think SF is the epicenter of liberalism.
That could be, there are a few different cities that would qualify. At least NYC does have one area that doesn't vote liberal, Staten Island. I also respect the NJ suburbs for voing for such an excellent Governor..Chris Christie.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:46 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I thought that the epicenter of liberalism was San Fransisco and Los Angeles.

New York is the center of "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" and the land where countless immigrants came here, worked hard, and made their way.

I never understood the "Real America" argument either, but not all Republicans think that way, lets be honest.

Just the stupid Republicans think that way
And you are the know-all end-all to how Republicans think? I think NOT little person.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:48 PM

471 posts, read 807,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
No city represents America as much as NYC.
And no city mis-represents Texas as much as The People's Republic of Austin. Fly that rainbow flag high

Old 05-16-2010, 03:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
And you are the know-all end-all to how Republicans think? I think NOT little person.
I said stupid Republicans think that way. Regular Republicans, or those with a fully functioning thing realize that everywhere, from Maine, to New York City, to Dallas, Miami, Nashville, New Orleans, Des Moines, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Barrow Alaska are all America.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:22 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,515,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
The OP seemed to have missed the dem's and Obama just cut terrorism spending for NYC by $53 million. Hmmmmm.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:33 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
The proper question might more accurately be "Why does NY hate Republicans"? Or, to state it more accurately, "why does NY hate the rest of the country -- anyplace in other words, and any people, which are not New Yawk or New Yawkahs"?

If no city is more American than NY, we're going to have to change our definition of "American" to mean "greedy, hateful, egotistical, classless, violent, and speaking particularly unattractive dialects of English."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies