Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times

Advertisements

Why can't people pursue 'their dreams' (ie., artist/musician/male giggolo/whatever floats your boat) in their free time. As a hobby. Like most normal people do.

I guess it's too much to ask that people earn their own keep instead of relying on the forced gratitude of others while they pursue personal interests.

Pelosi is a tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
She is not encouraging people to quit their jobs or saying that the taxpayer will pay for their healthcare. It's a short snippet in a longer dialogue where her point is that under the new bill it will be easier to be entrepreneurial and buy decent transferable insurance not tied to an employer. I know too many people who are afraid to leave their employer because they fear losing their health insurance and not being able to buy new at a good rate.
Exactly!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Had this been a gaffe from a conservative the liberals here would be singing a different tune.

Spoiler
Sarah Palin

Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
You people are obviously not very bright, so let me try to highlight what she actually said:

Quote:
“...a bill that says to someone, if you want to be creative and be a musician or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent, your skill, your passion, your aspirations because you will have health care.”
She is not suggesting that people should just quit work and sit on their ass while collecting government benefits and watching Jerry Spring. She is saying that with this in place, people can be more mobile in terms of getting to the kind of work they really want and are best at - i.e., following your talents, skills, aspirations, etc. In other words, they are not held in suboptimal job positions because of fears about being able to access health care. When you do what you're best at, chances are you'll be most productive and also happiest.

We can argue Nancy's opinions and about the worthiness of the health care reform bill, but let's not fail basic English here and completely lie about what she was trying to convey in this instance.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:12 PM

33 posts, read 15,620 times
If only the big one would hit and take the land of fruits and nuts with it.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You people are obviously not very bright, so let me try to highlight what she actually said:

She is not suggesting that people should just quit work and sit on their ass while collecting government benefits and watching Jerry Spring. She is saying that with this in place, people can be more mobile in terms of getting to the kind of work they really want and are best at - i.e., following your talents, skills, aspirations, etc. In other words, they are not held in suboptimal job positions because of fears about being able to access health care. When you do what you're best at, chances are you'll be most productive and also happiest.

We can argue Nancy's opinions and about the worthiness of the health care reform bill, but let's not fail basic English here and completely lie about what she was trying to convey in this instance.
Want health care? Try WORKING for it, it's not anyone's responsibility but your own.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyBoh View Post
If only the big one would hit and take the land of fruits and nuts with it.
If only hateful, ignorant people like you who bitterly wish for the death of millions of people in a US state would not exist.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
If only hateful, ignorant people like you who bitterly wish for the death of millions of people in a US state would not exist.

Hey, in MY fantasy the good ones can climb over the deadbeats to solid ground. Should Pelosi and her ilk be swallowed up.......yabba dabba do.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyBoh View Post
Want health care? Try WORKING for it, it's not anyone's responsibility but your own.
Try learning to read.

She's talking about people working in the areas of their interest more easily because their health insurance would be transferrable and not dependent upon their current employer. She is not suggesting that everyone in the whole country just go on welfare. That was the point I just made. Do you have the intellectual capacity to comprehend this, or am I just talking to myself (I fear I know the answer)?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Try learning to read.

She's talking about people working in the areas of their interest more easily because their health insurance would be transferrable and not dependent upon their current employer. She is not suggesting that everyone in the whole country just go on welfare. That was the point I just made. Do you have the intellectual capacity to comprehend this, or am I just talking to myself (I fear I know the answer)?
My reading comprehension is fine, sad you can't think out of the box and see the BIG picture. Eyeroll right back atcha Leroy. Oh yeah, it's transferable, not transferrable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies