Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:25 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

If you have a loved one needing nursing home care- please research. Long-term care is prohibitively expensive. And even then , the workers there are lower paid PCA's (personal care assistant) /(gophers) not R.N.'s. My brother is a doctor and I hear first-hand horror stories.

The days of safe healthcare, unless you are a multi-millionaire, are long gone. The system is spiraling, how much longer will it take before legislators realize there is a crisis?

Old 06-15-2007, 12:42 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
Unfortunately I have to agree with you. Healthcare in the US is something to truly be ashamed of.

I worked for an insurance company that routinely did things I not only felt were morally wrong but legally wrong.

I felt like I was working for the bad guy all the time.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:37 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Thumbs up thank you-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Unfortunately I have to agree with you. Healthcare in the US is something to truly be ashamed of.

I worked for an insurance company that routinely did things I not only felt were morally wrong but legally wrong.

I felt like I was working for the bad guy all the time.

you are a compassionate person who clearly sees the reality.

sunny

Old 06-15-2007, 04:39 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
If you have a loved one needing nursing home care- please research. Long-term care is prohibitively expensive. And even then , the workers there are lower paid PCA's (personal care assistant) /(gophers) not R.N.'s. My brother is a doctor and I hear first-hand horror stories.

The days of safe healthcare, unless you are a multi-millionaire, are long gone. The system is spiraling, how much longer will it take before legislators realize there is a crisis?
Health care in the USA is now becoming a domain of the wealthy and famous.
Because of the rising costs (actually soaring costs) the middle class are becoming squeezed with; rising co pays; lack of coverage; rising deductibles; or at worse unfordable monthly premiums (like myself) and lastly uncovered procedures. Why? The Powers may be in our 'conservative' nation feel that health care is just another item they can put into the 'market economy' and become rich on; at the expense of the suffering of those less well off.

It makes one wonder- what are the values of this country? They are sadly lacking.
As far as any legislator 'caring' forget it. Both political parties even at the state level have neither the courage or empathy to understand or even begin to challenge the health care industrial complex.

I have called my legislator in Connecticut- her answer? 'The Federal Government has to find a solution'.... talk about passing the buck!

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-15-2007 at 04:54 AM..

Old 06-15-2007, 05:20 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
I'm middle-class as I am happy with the healthcare I receive. I am also eligible for VA care since I have a service-connected disability. I choose not to take advantage of their services for two reasons.

1. The care is typically substandard because of the bureaucracy involved.
2. I have a moral problem using taxpayer money to care for my illnesses.

I also have taken steps to guarantee me should I require long-term care. It's called INSURANCE. Everyone should think ahead and make arrangements to take care of their own responsibilities instead of relying upon other taxpayers to do it for you.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:54 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I'm middle-class as I am happy with the healthcare I receive. I am also eligible for VA care since I have a service-connected disability. I choose not to take advantage of their services for two reasons.

1. The care is typically substandard because of the bureaucracy involved.
2. I have a moral problem using taxpayer money to care for my illnesses.

I also have taken steps to guarantee me should I require long-term care. It's called INSURANCE. Everyone should think ahead and make arrangements to take care of their own responsibilities instead of relying upon other taxpayers to do it for you.
I am sure you are happy with health care- its 'for free' at least in your situation. And who funds the VA? Taxpayers.

My parents and I have paid and paid all our lives. I pay extremely high health care costs and have for years. I pay my taxes have little debt and am a responsible citizen who is the primary caregiver for my mother with Alzheimer's disease.Yet we have people in this country who have green cards and are the wives of veterans who also 'pay nothing'. Is that fair and moral?

Do you have a 'moral problem' with billions sent to Iraq- to pay for the health care of those in that country- in order to make it a 'democracy'.

I have both a moral issue and a values issue about the monstrous profits of health insurance and drug companies- when good people do without needed health care- that is the real moral issue here. Not double standards and cop outs about 'taxes'.

The real issue is you simply do not want to see your taxes go up- as long as you have what you need- 'screw the rest'; talk to me about morals and values again- please, cuz I love yours. I do not know if I should laugh or cry about the kind of smug selfishness in this nation today. It leaves me breathless.

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-15-2007 at 06:24 AM..

Old 06-15-2007, 06:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I am fortunate to have very good health coverage from my employer. This is no accident because I deliberately chose this kind of work (see I did look out for myself) and sacrificed higher pay for good health care. It was a good choice because my wife and I have had some very, very expensive hospitalizations in the last decade. If we had not had the health insurance provided by my employer, I expect my wife would have been dead several years ago and I would be bankrupt.

The current systems in this country truly follow the moral values of the neocons by putting the risk on the working and middle class and the majority of the profits on the ruling class. The attitude seems to be – If you can’t afford insurance, don’t get sick and if you do get sick, don’t expect us to help you. You should have made enough money to buy our exorbitant insurance and contribute to our executives plush offices and multi-million salaries. Oh BTW - we can force you to spend all your savings and sell your house to pay the bills.

Most of our leaders have all the morality of a gang of swindlers and thieves.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:07 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I am sure you are happy with health care- its 'for free' at least in your situation. And who funds the VA? Taxpayers.

My parents and I have paid and paid all our lives. I pay extremely high health care costs and have for years. I pay my taxes have little debt and am a responsible citizen who is the primary caregiver for my mother with Alzheimer's disease.Yet we have people in this country who have green cards and are the wives of veterans who also 'pay nothing'. Is that fair and moral?

Do you have a 'moral problem' with billions sent to Iraq- to pay for the health care of those in that country- in order to make it a 'democracy'.

I have both a moral issue and a values issue about the monstrous profits of health insurance and drug companies- when good people do without needed health care- that is the real moral issue here. Not double standards and cop outs about 'taxes'.

The real issue is you simply do not want to see your taxes go up- as long as you have what you need- 'screw the rest'; talk to me about morals and values again- please, cuz I love yours. I do not know if I should laugh or cry about the kind of smug selfishness in this nation today. It leaves me breathless.
Maybe if you read my post a little closer you'll realize that I DON'T take advantage of the VA health services, though I am eligible. I pay for my health insurance and use private doctors, by MY choice.

The "smug selfishness" that you substitute for "achievement" is what provides jobs and opportunities for those who would rather take your tax money than work to provide for themselves. It also provides the stepping stones and ladder rungs to economic independence for those who have the ambition to provide for themselves.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Default free health care is the problem

Health care could be corrected almost over night if everyone was required to pay for their health care.
Hospitals have to accept anyone who comes in regardless of their ability to pay. This costs everyone more because YOU pay to offset the ones that don’t pay.
All I ask is that everyone who goes to the doctor has to prove that they can pay the same as I do. I have never been to the doctor without having to either pay up front or prove that I will pay.

All you have to do is look at the hospitals in CA to see why healthcare is out of control. Every one of them are packed with people that are using the emergency room as their primary health care. They are there for, colds, flu, aches and pains that should be seen by clinics and private doctors, but because the hospital can not refuse to treat them they are there. Many hospitals in CA are closing because they can no longer afford to treat these freeloaders.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,336 times
Insurance companies and drug companies determining policy
is killing us ! Why not the butcher, too

One problem Ive had recently wiv my rotten toof's is that the
dentists snatch up the whole yearly alotment in one visit !
I go in for a simple filling and the insurance company is billed
for 900.00 extra work. We have no control over what the
dentist bills for. They make sure no one else is going to get any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies