Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:17 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Good for you. I didn't say it was true in every case.

Blacks drop out of high school at twice the rate of whites.

Blacks have kids out of wedlock at more than twice the rate of whites.

That's 2 really good reasons why blacks can't get as good as paying jobs as whites and accumulate wealth.

It's not like that makes me happy. It's just hard to ignore facts.

If it were the other way around then whites would be poorer.

Hispanics drop out more than blacks. I suspect they earn less, though I never looked it up.

If you don't believe me look up the Dept of Education and Census Bureau websites.

Unless you are saying dropping out of high school and having kids at 15 years of age are economically sound ideas?
What I find interesting is the drop out rates talking points I keep seeing on these threads. Of those that dropped out of H.S, how many obtained their GED? How many went on to either obtain a college degree or a certificate? Its easy to pull numbers on H.S drop outs, but where is the rest of the story?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But you havent yet answered the question, have you accumulated "wealth" or just spent your income? The fact that you earn more means because you are better educated adds nothing to the topic. In fact, you indeed validate the postings by being the "exception" for minorities. After all, if it was the norm, you would have no need to toute your qualifications!!

For me, wealth is not only about Financial. I could have $200 in my bank account and still feel that I'm a wealthy person due to my accomplishment as a parent and educator.

How much money I save in my bank account does not make me a poor person or irresponsible person. As far as my response on my qualifications, it went directly to Ohio comments and considering your still attempting to look past the ill informed generalization you made previously concerning minorities, it does add to the topic.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Why is Bill Gates thousand of times richer than you? Why is Paris Hilton many times richer than you? Get a job and you will find out.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:37 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
What I find interesting is the drop out rates talking points I keep seeing on these threads. Of those that dropped out of H.S, how many obtained their GED? How many went on to either obtain a college degree or a certificate? Its easy to pull numbers on H.S drop outs, but where is the rest of the story?

I doubt many.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I doubt many.
\

well luckily for us, facts are worth more than anyone's doubts

Old 05-18-2010, 04:54 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
I'm going to stick up for OhioIsTheBest not because I'm in Ohio, or I think Ohio is the best, but because I think he has valid points and he is not speaking as a "proud white guy", but as a guy making some observations.

A person who drops out of school can get a G.E.D., but certainly not all dropouts do that. Generally if you really want a diploma, you stay in school and get one. Secondly, out-of-wedlock births are a problem when it comes to long term income and savings, be the parent black, white, or Asian. And the original question seemed to be about net wealth, i.e. savings.

These are probably not all of the factors, but they are certainly two factors.

By the way, I'm always amused when someone uses their own situation to refute data. (I've been guilty of it too, by the way.) I remember when a ladyfriend of mine saw Albert Pujols, arguably the best player in baseball today, go 0-5 in a baseball game. She observed, "Wow, that guy hasn't hit the ball all game. He's really terrible." Yeah, if only the Cleveland Indians had someone so terrible.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I'm going to stick up for OhioIsTheBest not because I'm in Ohio, or I think Ohio is the best, but because I think he has valid points and he is not speaking as a "proud white guy", but as a guy making some observations.

A person who drops out of school can get a G.E.D., but certainly not all dropouts do that. Generally if you really want a diploma, you stay in school and get one. Secondly, out-of-wedlock births are a problem when it comes to long term income and savings, be the parent black, white, or Asian. And the original question seemed to be about net wealth, i.e. savings.

These are probably not all of the factors, but they are certainly two factors.

By the way, I'm always amused when someone uses their own situation to refute data. (I've been guilty of it too, by the way.) I remember when a ladyfriend of mine saw Albert Pujols, arguably the best player in baseball today, go 0-5 in a baseball game. She observed, "Wow, that guy hasn't hit the ball all game. He's really terrible." Yeah, if only the Cleveland Indians had someone so terrible.

"some observations" do not equal to "facts" when generalizing. Everyone has their own opinion, but when you try to pass it off as fact, thats when you make yourself seem foolish. And again on the out of wedlock statistics, be it white, black ect have there ever been any statistics on savings of out of wedlock/single parents? What about out of wedlock/single parents and education? out of wedlock/single parents careers?

What does his pride in his ethnicity has to do with why he has an opinion?

by the way, I'm always amused when someone attempts to pass off their assumptions as facts.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:05 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
"some observations" do not equal to "facts" when generalizing. Everyone has their own opinion, but when you try to pass it off as fact, thats when you make yourself seem foolish. And again on the out of wedlock statistics, be it white, black ect have there ever been any statistics on savings of out of wedlock/single parents? What about out of wedlock/single parents and education? out of wedlock/single parents careers?

What does his pride in his ethnicity has to do with why he has an opinion?

by the way, I'm always amused when someone attempts to pass off their assumptions as facts.
Well, I don't know for a fact if making less money is directly related to one's savings, but I'm going to guess it is. I don't know for a fact that my old Converse All-Stars are not currently on Mars, but I'm going to guess that they aren't. I might even state it as "fact", heaven forbid.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 PM

305 posts, read 805,530 times
I'm going to internet retire from posting...

Nothing will change the speculation and perception will remain the same. This country is doomed and minorities are even more doomed.

It was fun but it's needs to end.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:35 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
I'm going to internet retire from posting...

Nothing will change the speculation and perception will remain the same. This country is doomed and minorities are even more doomed.

It was fun but it's needs to end.

Did you ever stop to think that your negative attitude is palpable to those in the "real world?" Defeatism is not a characteristic looked well upon by those that hire people in the corporate world.

Maybe I just don't see your perspective, as all "blacks" I am friends with are professionals... lawyers, government aides, lobbyists, realtors, etc., who don't mope around and waste time.

Their common thread.... families who put huge emphasis on education.

If you don't got it, you don't got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies