Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

American Deaths in Afghanistan Passes 1,000 - NYTimes.com

Quote:
On Tuesday, the toll of American dead in Afghanistan passed 1,000, after a suicide bomb in Kabul killed at least five United States service members.

Having taken nearly seven years to reach the first 500 dead, the war killed the second 500 in fewer than two.

A resurgent Taliban active in almost every province, a weak central government incapable of protecting its people and a larger number of American troops in harms way all contributed to the accelerating pace of death.
Unlike the Iraq surge, which reduced US deaths, this "surge" is costing more lives than ever.

In fact, things are getting worse.

Obama: Tough days ahead in Afghan war - White House- msnbc.com

Quote:
WASHINGTON - The war in Afghanistan will get worse before it gets better, President Barack Obama warned on Wednesday, but he declared his plan to begin withdrawing U.S. forces next year remains on track.
A stunning statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:46 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
The Good War - Bad War strategy that Democrats employed to win the 2008 election has failed miserably. That strategy has revealed a Commander In Chief who has no resolve and no intent for victory. The term "victory" can be hotly debated, no doubt, because Afghanistan is indeed a Graveyard of Empires. But what exactly did Obama seek to achieve by setting a timeline? Was his intent to go in, fire a few more bullets, and bury 500 more solidiers simply so he could say that he's not a yellow-bellied coward Democrat like many of his voters are? What was the point, exactly?

Either you go in to win, or you go home. Obama and his timeline are meant solely to go in, get killed, and come home, all in the name of political glorification as a "War President" and a quest to not seem light on national security. It's nauseating.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:02 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
We should never have put ground troops in to Afghanistan in the first place. The lessons of history are absolutely clear on that. No Obama is stuck with it and there are no good choices. But maybe some are less bad than others.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
The alarming thing is that even if things are going badly next year, it appears he will stick with his plan.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:08 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The Good War - Bad War strategy that Democrats employed to win the 2008 election has failed miserably. That strategy has revealed a Commander In Chief who has no resolve and no intent for victory. The term "victory" can be hotly debated, no doubt, because Afghanistan is indeed a Graveyard of Empires. But what exactly did Obama seek to achieve by setting a timeline? Was his intent to go in, fire a few more bullets, and bury 500 more solidiers simply so he could say that he's not a yellow-bellied coward Democrat like many of his voters are? What was the point, exactly?

Either you go in to win, or you go home. Obama and his timeline are meant solely to go in, get killed, and come home, all in the name of political glorification as a "War President" and a quest to not seem light on national security. It's nauseating.
I happen to be one of those yellow-bellied cowards that voted for Obama. I'm also a former United States Marine that served in Vietnam. MOS 0311, That's a grunt for you right-wing chicken-hawk keyboard war heroes that are legends in your own shower.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The alarming thing is that even if things are going badly next year, it appears he will stick with his plan.
Exactly. Obama is getting good at shooting himself in the foot. Deadlines on Iran? Psssssh. Deadlines on Gitmo? Pssssssh. Deadline on Afghanistan? Pssssh. How many times does this President have to fail before he understands that his policies just aren't congruent with national and international priorities?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:14 PM

329 posts, read 201,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
I happen to be one of those yellow-bellied cowards that voted for Obama. I'm also a former United States Marine that served in Vietnam. MOS 0311, That's a grunt for you right-wing chicken-hawk keyboard war heroes that are legends in your own shower.
That keyboard makes you tough there hero. Talk to your buddy Obama. Did he fight for his country? Well I'm not sure if he was in the Kenyan militia or not so maybe you can point that out.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:18 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldTheBeans View Post
That keyboard makes you tough there hero. Talk to your buddy Obama. Did he fight for his country? Well I'm not sure if he was in the Kenyan militia or not so maybe you can point that out.
I never claimed to be a hero, but do take exception at being called a yellow-bellied coward. What branch did you serve in?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
You obviously have no idea who you're talking to. While I appreciate your service to this nation, this "keyboard war hero" knows more about Iraqi and Afghani sand between the toes than you'd probably care to hear about. I'll just leave it at that.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Are all surges supposed to have the same result?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies